Red vs White light...

Buker,

I have been told that, and is exactly why we are making the instructional night video right now. Most who see us use white or even hear about it get all defensive. Our system is different than most think. That is part of the reason we are making the video. No secrets will remain after this one is out for sure.

I am fully aware of how intensity and colors work and how animals respond to reach. Everyones experiences will be different as technique will likely be the culpret of failure rather than equipment.

Todd

I'm really looking forward to seeing your night video. I've enjoyed the rest of them and of course, night hunting is a favorite of mine so I'm pretty pumped.

Quote:
The great red white debate...I really don't know why folks have trouble shooting with a red light…. All the "flipper lights" and white dimmer lights???

In certain circumstances you need a light that can actually light up the target, especially call-shy or light shy animals over a long distance. I have found that jackals do get light shy even under a red light.
In the following video clip you can see two jackal coming to a call under the very dimmed white light. They were not further than 50 yards away.
http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/jaracal/?action=view&current=dimmer_429.flv
The female is the one that turned quickly when I turned up the light (light-shy) to shoot. I shot the male while he was still wondering why his mate departed so quickly. I did not see the female again till she hit the 400+ yards mark. There she gave me time enough to range a bush where she was running to (big mistake). I dialed in the numbers on the scope and by using a dimmer switch on a white light, turned up the intensity to full, and put the cross right on the body of the jackal that I could see through the scope. There is now way that you will be able to do that with a red light. I shot the female at 429 meters (472 yards).
http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/jaracal/?action=view&current=429_GPS.flv

The white light with a dimmer switch is the best of both worlds. You can dim the light intensity far lower than the red light but you have full white power at the turn of a knob or flick of a switch.

By hunting with a white light only, a lot of predators get frightened away. By hunting with a red light only, you loose a lot of predators that you cannot identify or make out the body over longer distances. The scopes you need to shoot over 200 yards with a red light are usually high priced with big objective lenses 50mm+ while the white light is a little more forgiving on the optics. All in all I think it takes a bit more skill to hunt with a white light and dimmer but it is far more effective than either red alone or white alone.
The following video demonstrates the correct way to use a dimmer.
http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/jaracal/?action=view&current=dim_x_2_tierplaas.flv

For those guys who start out or who's struggling to see with a red light you will be highly rewarded by trying out a white light fitted with a dimmer/rheostat

Good hunting
Hein

I might not have the skill required to use a white light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I guess I'll just have to keep struggling by with my red light. Tell those 18 coyotes we killed last week to help me out as I learn! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:

For those guys who start out or who's struggling to see with a red light you will be highly rewarded by trying out a white light fitted with a dimmer/rheostat

Good hunting
Hein

Well put, even if you didn't dumb it down enough for everyone to understand.

Randy
I am not attacking you personally by disagreeing with you. You asked a question and I answered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Quote:
Tell those 18 coyotes we killed last week to help me out as I learn!

I see you are from Texas and only manage to shoot 18 for the week.
I followed a thread on this board where they shot 77 in 13 days also in Texas and I know they were using a white light, might just be that the white light works better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif LOL

If you have an unlimited number of predators, there is nothing wrong with using the red light, but when they are educated and hang out just beyond the reach of the red light, my personal experience is that the white light is better. Have you ever tried a white light with a dimmer/rheostat?

Good hunting
Hein

there is a good article in PX mag last issue that talks about yote eyes, camos, and the differnet lights and how they affect the yotes Ron

That was actually one night last week. But after calling in 23 and my client only killing 18, I guess you could say I did only "manage to kill" 18 that night. I have actually used a white light, about 40 years ago, then a few years later I went to red. I actually came up with a dimmer about 15 years ago, long before most of these guys even knew what predator hunting was. I guess you've read too many articles about Texas, if you think we have unlimited predators. I was born here, 54 years ago, and have hunted them since I was 12, and would have to say there are quite a few around, but unlimited would be a stretch. All I know is it works. I have been to a few places where a white light has been used a lot, and they act differently.Simple as that. I guess it's a matter of opinion, or maybe something that comes with time in the field or experience, but if it works for you, good. I'll stay with red, until the animals show me something different.

Quote:
That was actually one night last week. But after calling in 23 and my client only killing 18, I guess you could say I did only "manage to kill" 18 that night.

Good for you! Always thrilling to kill or call so many coyotes.

Quote:
I have actually used a white light, about 40 years ago, then a few years later I went to red. I actually came up with a dimmer about 15 years ago, long before most of these guys even knew what predator hunting was. I guess it's a matter of opinion, or maybe something that comes with time in the field or experience, but if it works for you, good. I'll stay with red, until the animals show me something different.

Yes Randy, I was one of those who hardly knew what predator hunting was, 15 years ago but I have picked up quickly. It does come down to time in the field or experience. I do ADC for a living for the past 13 years and hunt where the predators are persecuted daily (smallstock ranching areas) and not in places where there are as many predators as in Texas. I do not have the luxury to move to the next set, so I got to stick it out with the ones that's been called, chased, shot at etc. I used to hunt between 20 and 24 days a month till the beginning of this year but I slowed down a bit, hard on the family life. I now hunt only 16 days a month on average. If you take the 16 days on average that would make it 2500 days in the field over 13 years. I would say that gives me some time in the field or experience. If my method did not work I would not be in this business for this long.
The point you miss completely is that I am not trying to convince you to use a white light, stick to what works for you!! but know there are opinions and experiences in calling other than yours that work too. If you are too set in your ways to learn you are lacking the most valuable asset in predator calling.
One last question, in what way did the dimmer not work for you?

Good hunting

Hein

It did work, I just found it easier to keep the light high. Some of the guys that come down have a hard time running a light, dimmer, and gun all at once. I'm not bull headed enough not to learn new stuff, I'm just telling you what my experiences have been. I did use white, and to ME, red works better. I do know what you mean about it being too much sometime, For years, I hunted every weekend and most days,(nights). I did ear it back quite a bit, and now only hunt the weekends, thursday thru sunday. It starts to work on you after a while. I'm not really here to argue, but I do know a little bit about what works here.

Quote:
Some of the guys that come down have a hard time running a light, dimmer, and gun all at once.

I know what you are talking about, taking out clients is a whole different ball-game, red works better and you cannot go the other way.

Good hunting
Hein

Back