25-06/115g VLD's

kyotekiller25

Got a chance to load a few 115g Berger VLD's up for my Rem 700 25-06 w/24" shilen tube. I used RL-22 and Win cases/Fed 210 primers, bullets seated to just touch the lands. I loaded 5 rounds each at 50, 51, and 52g RL-22 and shot them at 100 yards off a portable bench and a leadsled. I think with a little more tinkering, I can get them to shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA, but as of now, 50g shot the best, right at 1 MOA. I usually only do 3 shot groups, but decided to do 5 to get a better idea of the load. If I was only doing 3 shot groups, 50 and 51 both did 3/8", however the next 2 tell the rest of the story, lol. I usually never have any coyote, deer, or elk stand around for more then 3 shots anyways, so I think its kinda pointless to do 5 shot groups for hunting rifles. Anyway, here is the groups. Also did 57g RL-22 w/100g SGK. 1 was to foul the barrel before shooting the 115g VLD's, which is the 1 shot to the left of the 51g group w/the 115g VLD, then I shot the next 4 for a group. Not to great, but expecting a rifle to shoot the only load you work up for it for a givin bullet/powder combo is not to probable.

28svha9.jpg

Did you shoot them in the lands?

I think I'd load up some of the 50 grain load and shoot them out to 400 or so... that seems like a pretty mellow load. If it'll hang at MOA... or hopefully a little less... I think coyotes will be in trouble for a very long ways.

You might also try a magnum primer, I shoot WLRMs in my .25-06 with the 115 loads. I started them with WLRs but the magnum primers shot better... I am shooting Retumbo though, that could be the difference. Maybe some H1000 too... I know you've got that lying around.

Nope, not in the lands, just touching. I tried to seat them out farther, but when I chamber the round, it'll push the bullet back in the case to where there just touching. Neck tension probly isn't tight enough I am assuming. I wanted to load them in about .005-.010", but it just wont let me.

I was thinking about loading up 49.5, 50, then 50.5 and doing 5 shot groups again. Might try a diff primer as well. I have a couple CCI 200's laying around, no Wins.

I was hoping they would shoot a little faster as well. In past experience, I've had no trouble getting 3200fps with 115g NBT's with 52g of RL-22. I was thinking about doing a few at 53g and 54g as well, as I think I"m around the lower node, I'd like to be at the upper node...

I have to wait to shoot them at longer distance untill I can get this dam scope off. Its a leupold 4-12, but has no target knobs. I've been trying to break the ring screws loose, but I'm pretty sure the previous owner used some sort of loc-tite on them. I am going to take one of my 6-18 leupold's w/knobs and put on it if I can ever get the rings off, then I"ll be stretching her out to 400 for a little better idea what there doing at longer range.

I"ve got IMR-4350, 4831, Retumbo and H-1000 I can also try if I cant get these to shoot any better then 1 MOA. I'd really like 5 shots to be 3/4 MOA.

I"ll load some more up during the week and shoot them my next days off and see how they do.

Back