Utah Rabbits

Bozdogkiller

I went out 3 times in the last three days and seen one cottontail on the west dessert.
Are the rabbits dien off?
I know theres a life cycle they go through like every 7 years ?
Think this is why the coyote #s are down ?
any thoughts

Hmmm... Sounds like you've been to a different part of the West Desert than I have.

I've only been out poking around out there a couple times this summer, but I thought the bunny population is looking really good this year. On a metal detecting trip a few weeks ago we saw tons of jacks.

From what little I've seen so far, I was thinking the coyote numbers are looking good this year too. I'm hopeful that it's going to be another good year.

- DAA

o ya dave coyote numbers are up! i even saw 5 foxes yesterday missed one o well when are we heading out, hey do you still have that 20-250?

I was in a new area today , seen 1 CT and 3 JR was out in the bush all day.
I would have to say the area i was in today numbers were way down again.
I can remember the same spot last year, seen over 2 dozen JR.
I could be wrong I was in west central utah desert all day , should have seen alot more

Last edited:
Quote:
Hmmm... Sounds like you've been to a different part of the West Desert than I have.

I've only been out poking around out there a couple times this summer, but I thought the bunny population is looking really good this year. On a metal detecting trip a few weeks ago we saw tons of jacks.

From what little I've seen so far, I was thinking the coyote numbers are looking good this year too. I'm hopeful that it's going to be another good year.

- DAA

what kind of metal are you looking for, what kinds of things would one find in the desert with a metal detector???

today i was scouting a new area and seen a few yotes but to my suprise seen less rabbits.
could be just me and the area im in but, not many rabbits .
not trying to start anything just curious if anyboby else has seen the same problem ?

Last edited:
I would love to man but, I just cant .
went out Saturday , to a spot I have never seen any one else other than myself hunt , and could hear a rabbit call off in the halo.
I was 50 miles from town and turns out it was a guy here from town trying to bust a dog.
Small world I guess
Got to hunt it before someone else does /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

In some areas it has.
Sorry if this disapoints you.
I hunt when i feel like going and getting out of the house
to have a good time, sorry if you or anyone else dont agree.
But if this if heading for one of those dont hunt tell Oct. pissing matches leave me out of it I started this post to talk about the decline in rabbit numbers i have noticed, and nothing more.
Not trying to be rude but if thats what you guys want to talk about start your on post on that subject, I am just trying to gather a little friendly incite on the matter at hand between other predator hunters, nothing more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I could be wrong I was in west central utah desert all day , should have seen alot more

Heck, I could be wrong too. You've spent more time and covered more area out there lately than I have. I did see a bunch of jacks out there a few weeks ago. But that's the only time I've been out looking lately, and that was only one area. So who knows? Maybe things aren't looking as good as I thought?

As far as the "when to hunt" thing, it just is what it is. Myself, I mostly leave the coyotes alone until later. But I'm not religous about it - I stuck one with my bow a week ago. And just flat out do not care when anyone else wants to hunt. Their business, not mine.

I would point out though, that having guys out there hammering on them this time of year is nothing new, and it's not just a "Utah" thing either. Some guys have been getting after them in August for as long as I can remember. And I know a few guys that have been out there just killing the snot out of them in Nevada the last couple weeks already too. I just don't worry about it. I figure that is pretty much how it has always been, and yet I have pretty much always been able to do alright later in the fall anyway, so no big deal. I'm not into numbers and it's not any kind of competition with other callers for me. I'm going to go when I feel like it, and I'm going to have a GREAT time. So what difference does it make to me when another guy decides to go have a GREAT time? No difference!

From my point of view, probably the biggest impact of the whole "when to hunt" deal, is right here on the internet. I stopped posting my hunt reports here several years ago. I had been out in late Sep. and had a pretty good day and posted about it. Got jumped on for hunting "too early" (by one of the very same guys on this thread now...). I decided to heck with it, not worth the drama, and I just don't post about my hunts here anymore. I think a lot of guys have gotten that way over this deal. But! Really, like I said - "no big deal".

Sorry to hijack your thread... It does sound like rabbit numbers might be down more than I thought though. Guess I need to get out and look around some more myself. Too dang hot still though! I'll wait another month and hope it cools off some first!

- DAA

Hunt em when ya want, bottom line is it is GREED, "Gotta get em before the other guy does" They may actually be worth something for the fur this year, if you wait till they are prime, but around here, they will be so spooked that by that time you won't be able to call any in, just my two cents worth.

Quote:
Hunt em when ya want, bottom line is it is GREED, "Gotta get em before the other guy does" They may actually be worth something for the fur this year, if you wait till they are prime, but around here, they will be so spooked that by that time you won't be able to call any in, just my two cents worth.

I'll make sure not to spook all of them for you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DAA, sorry to hear that you stopped posting your hunt reports, I for one enjoy every one of them. You have to remember that 60%+ of the yote hunters never pick up an coyote to harvest for fur. So the politically correct thing to do is to have fun, and share Tim missing with your gun! Hee Hee!

Bozdog,

I was out this past week and I saw quite a few Jacks. Quite a few cotton tails too. Were you out in the middle of the day, morning or evening?

I was out in the evening and they seemed to be moving around pretty well. My little boy was having a heck of a time trying to get his daisy on one.

We were mid-west desert too? Don't know what to tell you.

Don't sweat the hunting now stuff either, it has nothing to do with "greed" and everything to do with wanting to get out and have fun.

Tear em up my friend!

C

Bozdog,

I was out this past week and I saw quite a few Jacks. Quite a few cotton tails too. Were you out in the middle of the day, morning or evening?

I was out in the evening and they seemed to be moving around pretty well. My little boy was having a heck of a time trying to get his daisy on one.

We were mid-west desert too? Don't know what to tell you.

Don't sweat the hunting now stuff either, it has nothing to do with "greed" and everything to do with wanting to get out and have fun.

Tear em up my friend!

C

Thanks for the info Bigc and DAA, I just think it might be the area ive been in.
Good to know im the only one seeing this problem.

Utahdogger sorry if you dont like the way I hunt but it makes you feel any better Im going to Nevada for four days this weekend. To have some fun, and not to worry about what every coyote hunter in the state thinks I should do .

Last edited:
Back