Called another one

justshoot

Am going to change my username to "can't shoot" or "why can't I shoot?". I am using the right sounds to get coyotes to come in BUT, I can't get a shot! I needed a little time away from work, so to the hills I go. After driving around looking for a clear woods or clear area in the woods. I remembered a location near Blain. Parked and walked in, found the right spot in some green brush. Ran the speaker out about 50 ft and used a CD player with a coyote howl, then a minute of silence, followed with pup distress. Nice cross wind and not more than a minute later in came a reddish tan coyote. As soon as he hit my trail he was only a memory. This smart butt coyote came in fast and out fast. I'm in the right locations and can get them in, every spot is producing coyotes and I don't go back to the same spot for more then a month after being busted. I think the next step is to drop one, I'll work on this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, your doing something right and it sounds like have some good spots. Next time you go out pop one and post some pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I feel your pain , been out three times in the past two months and called in four , all within 20 yards to 15 feet and haven`t put one down yet for various reasons . Maybee sometime soon I`ll get one . Good luck to ya .

A couple of thoughts... Use a shotgun now, the woods are greened up and shooting is likely to be close and fast. Second, shoot them BEFORE they can hit your trail, or get to the caller.

Thanks you all, I'm the type of person you hear about, taking a knife to a gun fight. I tried one set this morning and nothing. This was at Fowler's Holler, Blain. By the way, I have a ghillie suit and really like it, it blends in so good I had a problem finding myself. But the coyotes can pick me up with that super smeller of theirs. I will use the shotgun.

Might also want to get up in a tree stand, a elevated position will let you see farther and get longer shots.
Always keep your scope on the lowest power setting I blew a shot once because of that.9 power dose'nt work well at 15 feet on a moving coyote.

Last edited:
I am getting permission in writing this weekend to hunt a new 5 or 6 hundred acre wooded ridge. Will set up a ladder stand after I explore the site. One area I have is hit real hard on the weekends with atvs and through the week when I hunt there, there is nothing. There is a state forest land in Sheaffer's Valley here in Perry co. that beggs to be checked out -- any takers to look it over this fall?

Back