Locating Pups

tatonka

Hello
I am a lurker but have a question about locating pups in the summer heat.
is this a good time to locate coyotes I will be using a foxpro sound but will the grown ups answer because the pups are still to young to answer right now?
will any coyote answer the locator sounds from foxpro?

In most areas the pups are almost full grown now. Some like to wander but most will stay with the family groups(in the east at least) In my area of upstate NY. I can sometimes get them to respond right at dark or just before and in the early am using "Barks and howls" on the Foxpro or Siren sounds I downloaded from somewhere.

The pups are plenty old enough to respond now. I just can't hunt them till October 1.

Last edited:
I drive a semi a had a flat tire here in Arizona earlier this week. while waiting for the service truck I decided to do some howls with just my mouth no call. I made them sound like a siren going from low to a higher pitch and letting it drag out a little. it was just after dark and had about 7 to 10 answer back at me. Had one about 50 or so just barking and challenge howling back at me and one with him circled up wind of me, i saw him in the head lights of a passing car.

This is a great time to locate coyotes with howls... a good high pitched howl right after dark will sometime make the younger coyotes answer because they think it is momma coyote checking in with them to see where they have wondered off to. It is also thought to be a "come here" howl to bring the young exploring pups back to her... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Can you really trick pups into thinking you are their "momma"?

I could see them coming to a howl as they often do, but I'm not so sure it's because they think it's momma. Probably has more to do with coyotes being social animals as well as curious. If I hear a strange voice in my house I will naturally go check it out. I think a coyote probably does something similar. Just my humble opinion though.

Quote:
will any coyote answer the locator sounds

YES /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Any coyote not just pups,
I feel pups will answer with vocalizations in a short time after they are up and moving around.
I seen pups attempting to howl just at couple week old.

I don't think you can just locate pups, any coyote that hears yea that's in the mood to talk will answer.
Are pups in north east PA are out and killing they don't much care if mom knows where they are ..

most of are pups here are 18 or more pounds already ...

Do I feel pups know mommy's sounds .. yes ! and I don't feel you will trick them into thinking you mommy but they are a social critter so many sound will have A coyote answer you back

Last edited:
sure they will answer the foxpro sounds,they will answer alot of sounds,if they hear it,just remember
there are no foolproof,garanteed calls.if it was so easy to locate them all the time,they wouldn't be growing in numbers so quickly,at least in these parts.
[beeep],the closer to civilization around here,the better your chances of bagging one,but usually they will not reply,they will just respond with a few barks when close

For the most part the pups look full grown now and should be on there own. This is the best time of the year for numbers of coyotes running around.

Back