Need some release agent to bed a couple of rifles!!!

NCVARMINT

hELLO,
I ran out a while back and was wondering if i need to order some from brownells, or is there anything from the grocery store that i can use. Also is the stevens 200 stock easy to get bedding to stick to?
thanks for all help.

Trevor

Johnsons paste wax, but I like the spray on kind Brownell's sells and Brownell's is one of the best for not charging outrageous postage rates and no minimum orders.

Ever get a glass bed job that the barreled action wants to stick in the stock. Just use a heat gun on the barrel and action, usually they will "Pop" right out.

I use inletting guide screws (from Brownell's) instead of the action screws. Pushed down thru the bedding material and then just rubber banded to the stock they can be tapped from below to aid in removing the action and keeps one from getting a lock of glassbed in the locking lug area that can happen sometimes when installing guard screws into a freshly bedded action.

Johnson paste was also.

Have fun with getting bedding to stick to injected molded stocks. Not much sticks to plastic.

Aaron

Acra-Release from brownell's is the only release agent I use. After hundreds, of rifle bedded, I have yet had one even remotely try to hang up in the stock. The finished bedding is as smooth as can be and clean up is a breeze.

On the Stevens stock, rough it up inside some and degrease it good. I use denatured alcohol to degrease it and rough it up a little with a dremel tool and sand paper.

I've heard bad things about most of the products mentioned except one........go with the kiwi nuetral shoe polish. And use it liberaly!

CB

Johnson's Paste Wax. Since you mentioned getting it at the grocery store, you will find it by the floor polish. Never had a problem but I have always made it a point to apply to anywhere the bedding even might get to and to use plenty.

Brownell's Accra Release is the cat's meow on release agents due to the ease of application and removal.

All the paste waxes are great, but more labor intensive.

The only gun that I have ever stuck was with Pam.

There is a trick to bedding a rifle and not having it stick with what ever you use.

First Degrease your action with brake cleaner, twice. Degrease the stock screws also. If you are using a plastic stock, degreaase the inside of the stock area to be bedded and drill 1/8" holes in the stock to act as anchors for the
bedding compound.

I spray two coats of the Brownell's Accra Release on the action and screws after degreasing.

When the action is removed from the stock, use the brake cleaner to easily wash off the Accra Release from the action and screws.

Back