Well the young yotes are out

bamarammin87

Got this young guy friday afternoon. Started calling at 6:30pm and shot him at 6:44pm. Used a johnny stewart preymaster pm-3, used juvenile cottontail for 5 minutes, and then switched to distressed cottontail and he came in on the 2nd one. He came bouncing in so fast, my buddy thought it was somebodys dog until he saw the huge ears. Shot him at +-70 yards, he ran about 15 feet and then dropped dead. I use a Savage 93r-17 .17hmr with a 3-9x40 scope. It was 91 degrees when we got out there, a few degrees cooler when we left. Who says you cant call yotes in blazin summer heat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

0801081937.jpg

0801081905.jpg

guess I better get back out there while these young ones are still stupid and before the "real hunters" educate them.

And yup, is an ugly one for sure.

Yup, he came bouncing in like a pup. Spotted either me or my friend trying to slowly move onto target and stared at me just long enough to pop him square in his chest. I was using 17 grain CCI TNT's. and like you said, get out there and kill em before they get educated!

i seen one last thursday morning that wasnt smart enough to dodge a car and was sunbathing on the road...LONGTERM..hahaha... pretty little thing. just seeing them makes me want to get back out and hunt but like you said.. its too blasted hot to be running the hillsides calling..

You shore(sure) he didn't die of heat stroke? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif 17 HMR huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
You shore(sure) he didn't die of heat stroke? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif 17 HMR huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

lol, yea, shot him square in the chest. Took a little while for that little pea to kill him, he ran a little ways, and then he dropped. I about died of heat stroke tho. I thought a yote would see all the sweat drops running down my face, I tell ya what, I can't wait for it to cool down! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Makes me want to get out there. Good job.
Well soon as the rebuild on the kitchen and 2 baths are done. Maybe cut down on the fawn and turkey mortality around here.

Quote:
was using 17 grain CCI TNT's

Try the .17 grain Hornady

Quote:
You shore(sure) he didn't die of heat stroke? 17 HMR huh?

I have taken quite a few with one and never a problem.
Shot placement and distance is key no coyote over 75yrds 100 max PD 200 to 300 yards.

No offence to the .17HMR fans, but I still can't believe you guys knock 'em down with those little things and they stay down, lol! You wrote that he ran a little, did he run straight some distance or did you mean the old 'rapid tail chase death dance'?

Nice job!

Quote:
No offence to the .17HMR fans, but I still can't believe you guys knock 'em down with those little things and they stay down, lol! You wrote that he ran a little, did he run straight some distance or did you mean the old 'rapid tail chase death dance'?

Nice job!

He fell down and rolled over his shoulder, got up, started spinning around biting at his butt for a couple seconds, then ran a little ways nipping at his butt and topped the hill and fell down on the other side of the hill. No clue why he kept trying to bite his butt, I shot him in the chest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Is that just something they do when they don't die instantly?

Quote:
Quote:
was using 17 grain CCI TNT's

Try the .17 grain Hornady

Quote:
You shore(sure) he didn't die of heat stroke? 17 HMR huh?

I have taken quite a few with one and never a problem.
Shot placement and distance is key no coyote over 75yrds 100 max PD 200 to 300 yards.

I think I may switch to the 20 grain hornady xtp's. Do the 17 grains work pretty good? I've heard good things bout the 20 grain ones.

Back