Small But Deadly!

rockinbbar

Got home from work & was browsing posts here on PM when my wife Barbara was watering the plants on our back porch...She rapidly came inside hollering about something...
I went to see what the deal was & she pointed out a rattlesnake layed out by one of the plants she was watering.

Little rascal, about a foot long....But, on our back porch nonetheless.

She could hear it rattling, but gunfire keeps me from hearing such small buzzes....It was right by one of my brading irons, so I "Branded" it right on the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Barbara is conviced there's 300-400 more, just like it around here now, so, I guess I'll take out the trash after dark for awhile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This size rattler does have a high concentration percentage of venom.

Here's the "After" picture...

porchsnake.jpg

Be careful out there!

Barry

Seeing I grew up in South Carolina, thats one thing I dont miss about the south, poisonous snakes! Havent seen one since I moved to Illinois back in 91.

Man there have been alot of rattlers found lately.Its a good thing you got that one for sure,not something you want resting on your back porch.I wouldnt take out the trash at night though if your worried about the snakes.Thats when rattlesnakes do most of their huntin during the summer months.If its hot out they will usually lay around in the shade during the day.And then start huntin when it gets dark and the grounds still warm but not hot enough to fry them.Its better to do it during the day when their easier to see.Your wifes probably right about their being more than one though.Where there is one baby their bound to be more.Just keep an eye out for them and you will be alright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

My favorite snakes are the flat ones. Those are the ones you see on the road that are about 1/16 inch thick and a foot wide from lots of traffic.

Were seeing lots around here, especially on the creek bottoms this time of year. They seem to like it near water. Here in Idaho they are now protected species and you can't kill one unless you feel threatened. I've never seen one that didn't seem threatening to me.

He did have a nice skin. I could think of no use for it though, being only slightly longer than a pencil...(I should have put something for reference in the picture)

Quote:
I've never seen one that didn't seem threatening to me.

Me, too. The little ones worry me more than the big ones; at least you can usually see the big 'uns.

Regards,
hm

Barbara found a second one about 30 min. ago....in the garage this time.

ratgar.jpg

Sorry Weas, I tried to be careful with the machete, but he was in a hurry to get under our shelves & my first whack kinda messed up the skin... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Man rockinbar your wifes quite the rattlesnake hunter.I bet she wishes she wasnt though.Like I said where there's one their are bound to be more of em and I was right.Do you know where any big holes are around your house or anything?If so thats definately where you should check to see if thats where they are coming from.Two years ago I killed a prairie rattler about that size in my grandpas front yard.A week after I was walking about 100 yards from where I had found it and three bigguns were coiled up by a hole that went up under an old grain bin foundation.We dug it up and killed a 4 footer but the other two got away.My grandpa covered the hole we had dug back up and the rats dug another hole that led under the foundation again.Last year I walked out there when I was quail hunting and looked down in the hole and a 3 footer was staring at me.He wasnt worth skinning though cause the 20gauge kinda messed him up a little.Two weeks later I went and checked again and two more where coiled up beside the same hole gettin warmed up but they got away.So if you know any places similar to that you might check and see if thats where their hangin out.Be careful their pretty thick it sounds like.

Saw a video once where a fellow found a hole rattlers were using as a den. He took a 6 or 8' piece of garden hose and ran it down into the hole, put a funnel in it and poured about a quart of gasoline in the funnel. He then removed the funnel and blew in the end of the hose. The first rattler came straight out of the hole in strike mode! Made quite a picture.

Regards,
hm

You definately need to be looking for a den. I personally have pulled 42 WesBack's out of a single den and when they were excavating for the construction of the nuclear power plant in Glenrose they hit a den that reportedly had hundreds of snakes in it. I'm a little inclined to doubt that number but I do know that they did infact quarantine the whole job site due to the number of snakes for several days. I should mention that when I find a den I typically only find it holds 5-10 snakes as a jackpot.

Chupa

I killed one in the garage a few years ago. He was coiled up right at the door and I saw him as I was backing my ATV up. That sort of violated the sanctity of my garage! Now I watch every time I go in there.

We also killed one at the corner of the house a few days ago. Bigger than yours so I hope he was just passing thru.

Back