critt r pee wee, standard or tallyho for coyotes??

d2admin

Administrator
what do you guys think? I live in minnesota so they cant stick when its cold. i was out this morning (-15) and my call kept freezing. these seem to be the most popular...which one would you recomend? thanks
-kyle

I use all three of those calls. I think our climate here in NW North Dakota is about the same as yours, except we don't have the high humidity. All three of those open reed calls can have the reeds freeze up on you. I just make sure I silently blow through the bell end once in awhile when the weather is frigid to keep the spit out of them. I also place my tounge between the reed and the bottom with the air channel and push my tounge forward toward the bell causing the reed to bend upward slightly. That gives you a little arch in the reed and can help keep the reed from freezing to the mouthpiece.

With the Tally Ho you may have to flip the reed over if it develops a semi-permanent tendency to lay flat against the mouthpiece. Just keep the reed warm and bend up on it once in awhile and you should be OK.

The critr calls are the easiest to use.The tally ho is a good call that is a little harder to use.When you learn how to tune a tally ho you will like it.

Thanks you guys make me feel a lot better about sitting in the rain! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

At least I'm not freezin'! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have a Critr call standard, with a wider than original reed (made it from the package our new spotlight came in), I like it a lot.

Jeff
wave1.gif

I like the Crit'r calls the standard is more versatile than the peewee in my humble opinion. I would reccomend buying the reed pack that they, critr callr, sell and playing around with the various reeds. You can get higher pitch sounds, and lower volumes from diffrent reeds.

Back