50 gr varmint grenades anyone shoot em

crowpopper

i am looking for info on the 50 gr .223 varmint grendades cant find anything by search
how do the shoot are they longer than a normal 50 gr
what kind of loads are needed
i have a .223 in 1/9 twist with a 21 in bbl
thnkx

i use 55 gr ballistic tips now and like em alot and for 30 bucks im not gonna buy a box to find out i cand hit s**t
thanks for the info

Crowpopper,

50 grains is 50 grains. Yes the Varmint grenade is longer than another 50 gr. bullet but use the same loading data.

Dave

I use to use the 40g VLC which was the coated version out of my rem 700 in .222 rem. THey shot great, probly one of the better bullets I"ve shot out of my triple deuce. With IMR-4198 they hit 3700fps and were never over .5", mostly around .2-.3". Killed quite a few coyotes with them and never had a problem, most exited with a good size hole if broadside. Never lost a coyote with them...Nice splat factor on ground squirrels and rabbits as well. I wish they still made the VLC version, I'd be using them...

The biggest complaint I have is lot to lot inconsistency. Accuracy can be acceptable if you drop to a slower powder. The core of these bullets is more incompressible than lead and the bullet has a much longer bearing area. They do seem to shed velocity faster than the .183 BC would suggest, likely due to the lower bulk density. On the plus side, they are lead free and EXTREMELY dramatic on small furry creatures.
John

Just remember, you will need a quick twist to stabilize them. If you shoot them in a 1 in 12 barrel, they will pattern, not group on the target.

Crowpopper,
I know someone who loads the Varmint Grenades. I know he shoots tiny little groups with them. I just cant remember if he shoots a .223 or a .204 Ruger. I should see him this Sunday and I will ask. If he has an accuracy load, I will get it from him and shoot you a message.

I use them in my savage. Best three shot group was 3/8", but most stay around a 1/2". For powder I use 748. The only thing I have taken with them is a groundhog at a whooping distance of 42 yards. The bullet did exit but left a tiny hole.

Please post a load when available.. Here in Kommiefornia, the plague spreads like wildfire.. soon all of NaziLand here will probably go non lead. "dang those Bottle raised I need someone to feed me Condors" Im sure folks would enjoy having a load ready for when it Happens. I for one would enjoy hearing more on decent loads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

tried these bullets in my 6-duce, 243, couldnt hit crap with either of these guns, which normally shoot small groups, not patterns. lee

I called up Barnes a few weeks ago and got some loading data from their technical dept. Win 748 23.0 to 26.0, Ramshot TAC 23.0 to 26.0, Varget 24.0 to 26.0 and BLC2 24.0 to 26.5, they stated that their most accurate loads were with W 748. My best load so far is with 24.8 grs W748 WW primer Lapua brass .452 five shots. I didn't get a chance to choronograph this load because the range was to crowded to set it up.

I have other loads that shoot better but I plan on using the 50gr VG's to coyote this winter this accuracy is more than adequate for hunting here in Pennsylvania.

My rifle is a Savage Model 10 Predator 223 w/1in9 twist.

I used the TAC load data from Barnes and they wouldn't cycle my AR. Velocities were lower than their predictions, too. I haven't upped the ante on the powder yet to get close on the velocities, but I am going to. Shot o.k., but since they didn't cycle the AR, the groups I shot don't matter much as I expect different when the velocity gets up to where it should be.

!!WARNING!! !!YMMV!! Start with the Barnes loads. I take no responsibility for some yahoo going over published loads, except myself.

Fast Ed

Back