Cow Horn Howler - - Dimensions and Acoustics

d2admin

Administrator
I got bored and had to find out for myself what I was missing out on, so I built myself a cow-horn Howler.

I was impressed with the version that Rich and Tyler Higgins had at the Tom Mix2 gathering, so instead of "re-inventing the wheel", I copied. Got a pre-finished horn and custom-fit an E.L.K. Power Bugle mouth piece. It sounds pretty good but perhaps it can be better ?

Currently, the Horn length from the mouthpiece is 8.5 inches (avg, its curves and twists slightly) and there is more volume than I think I need. If the howler was more compact, it would be a benefit as well.

If anyone who has had a chance to experiment long enough to discover what they feel is an "optimal length or range of lengths", Id like to hear your "findings" and feelings on the matter. Is shorter length mostly lower volume or is their significant pitch change as well ?

Found some info on "blowing horns" on the net and there was discussion of placing holes in the horn so that you could cover, or uncover, with your finger to change the airflow and also change the pitch ? much like a musical instrument.

Anyone found an optimal size range and placement for those either... (my concern is obviously you can always go bigger, but it takes some rendering to go smaller)

Whaddya know ? (Michael Feldman fans hold back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

Robb,
You could probably lop a couple of inches off from length of your horn without losing too much volume. It will change the "tone" slightly also, but not enough to make any real difference. I like a thin walled horn of 6-8 inches with a diameter up from of at least two inches. Right now I am using a buffalo horn howler that is probably ten inches long with three inch diameter bell up front. I love the sounds it gives, but it can be a little cumbersome carrying around all day. Big horns give bigger sounds. Get them too big and they sound like elk bugles or wolf howlers.

There's a "beauty ring" in the horn that Im using that I think is right at 6 inches from the mouth piece, I think Ill make the cut just a little past it and see what I get. Bell Diameter (average) should be right at 2 1/2"

Thanks Rich !

I went ahead and chopped it. The weight and handling is MUCH improved.

Tone did change, but for the better mostly. I dont know if its the band (likely) or the length but I almost wish I would have cut-off half as much, first, before going all the way. C'est la Vie...

I didnt do anything fancy yet, used a hacksaw, a drill, medium-grit sandpaper and some epoxy. I havent done any "fine trimming" or anything yet. I didnt boil the horn to reshape it either...

This one will definitely be a "field model" compared to what you guys have done. I still have another horn to experiment with.

hornside.jpg

With this type of mouthpiece, be sure not to eat chocolate-chip cookies and drink Dr.Pepper, right before you put it in your mouth. Latex Band is overdue for replacement as you can see.

hornbite.jpg

hornopen.jpg

Robb,
That looks like a real coyote man's tool for howling coyotes. Guys who like the power howlers but demand more volume and more realistic adult coyote howls will appreciate your idea. Thanks for sharing.

Wish I could take credit for the idea, I only emulated what I saw and heard Rich Higgins with as far as the Mouthpiece choice. We'd have to ask him about the origin.

Thanks again Rich Cronk for your advice on the Horn Details !

Cool, dude!!! Totally awesome.

Love the color!

i gotta chuckle, you said weight and handling were improved when you cut it down. You carrying it in a marching band? Heh-heh!!

Nice fit on the mouthpiece-- i could only anticipate the best i could do would be a garden hose and a couple wraps of duct tape.

Theres times when I feel like it ! Toot-toot ! Calls and sound equipment... Lugging gear through the cactus slows a guy down, if the item isnt cost/benefit efficient... it stays home or in the truck.

I had to change out the reed band on it (they only last a short while) and I got a tip on using latex examination gloves to cut reeds from the fingers. Much cheaper than buying from E.L.K.

While fooling around making a new reed, the tightness and the width of the bands seems to make more difference in the sound and tone than what the horn length did.

what the ?????????????????????? thats not what he told me, he told me that late one night he went to iowa and broke into Rich's house and took his best looking horn. Robb, you got some splanin to do!

cb, i must commend you on the vast improvement in your spelling! Keep up the good work! i somehow always knew you were capable.

Makes you look much smarter!

Wow Robb, you did a great job of mating the mouthpeice with the horn. vintagemxr posted a picture of several howlers I've made over on Huntmasters. I leave the ones for collections long to include the coloration and contours of the horn that are attractive. For working howlers I've found that 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 inches give the most "solid" and realistic barks and howls without the "tinny" sound the plastic howler and longer cowhorns have with the bonus of being the perfect pocket size for easy carry. I've been trying for some time to get in touch with you to offer to make you one, but you don't return my calls and e-mails, I kinda expect you to ask for your ring and pictures back. BTW Michael McCasland turned me on to the horns at Gatormall. Great info Michael, thank you.

Rich,

I snuck a peek at your howlers... Beautiful. I can only imagine the pride you have in your work.

Actually, I finally have something that you might be interested in, Ive been wanting to "trade beads" so to speak for your video with you, that is if you dont already have this item...

We must have a disconnect, I havent gotten any eMails from you... I think I still have yours, let me see if I get through from this end. (you have mail, hopefully)

Robb

Rich H. - You are much more than welcome. I've followed you a little over on the Huntmaster BB and have missed you over here. A man with your vast experience always adds something special to any board that you frequent.

Time for some before/after photos !

RICHinMO / RICHinAZ graciously offered to tune up my horn howler for me and man-oh-man what a difference. Sound is better, Size is better, and it Looks GREAT now too !

A light-colored howler like this is different from Rich's usual artistry, as he prefers to make his in the darker horn colors.

howleralahiggins1.jpg

howleralahiggins2.jpg

THANK YOU RICH !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back