A few more pics

Posted by: OKTrap

A few more pics - 12/27/07 01:41 PM

As I haven't seen very many raccoon this year ... I thought I would share this with yall. It's my 4th of the season, but notice it has lost its tail in a fight. All have been males so far.

3rd:

2nd w/ my pard:

1st:
Posted by: WildEd

Re: Limited Raccoons - 12/27/07 05:18 PM

We have a bunch this year, they just are not worth anything here in Texas.
Posted by: cjg_beef

Re: Limited Raccoons - 12/27/07 05:56 PM

we have a bunch too. A few years ago we were playing with a spotlight and shone it on the mountain. We ended up seeing eight that were up in one tree looking at us.
Posted by: minklessinpa

Re: Limited Raccoons - 12/27/07 07:51 PM

i think distemper hit us this year.june-july they where everywhere,now i can't find a track!!and i'm not the only one!!

Re: Limited Raccoons - 12/27/07 07:52 PM

i think distemper hit us this year.june-july they where everywhere,now i can't find a track!!and i'm not the only one!!

Re: Limited Raccoons - 12/27/07 07:52 PM

Re: Limited Raccoons - 12/28/07 12:34 PM

5th coon of the season. All have been males. This one was taken by a friend I have been teaching how to trap. It's his first ever.

Re: Limited Raccoons - 12/29/07 11:07 AM

Well ... even with most of the ground frozen, and a few traps tripped by the horses, I still managed these two male coyotes today. These make #15 & #16 off of this 80 acres.

Posted by: gregconrad

Re: Limited Raccoons - 12/31/07 01:14 AM

It has been real slow for us this year also,up and until this weekend we had only caught 6 coon and 4 were boars.In the last 2 nights thoughth we have caught 5 and they were all sows.

Greg

Re: Limited Raccoons - 12/31/07 10:02 PM

finaly got one last night,pulled my line today.vacation is about over and i need to switch over to the beaver line.
are those kb's on that coyote?

Re: Limited Raccoons - 12/31/07 10:08 PM

Re: Limited Raccoons - 01/02/08 10:04 AM

Here's # 17 for the season. A big male.

Re: Limited Raccoons - 01/03/08 11:07 AM

And here's #18 for the season. A Red Female.

Posted by: Lonnie

Re: Limited Raccoons - 01/08/08 08:33 PM

Man you are rockin on those coyotes. Good job.
Posted by: Lonnie

Re: Limited Raccoons - 01/08/08 08:35 PM

By the way...tell us about your favorite set for these. Are you using all the same sets or what? I always like to learn from the successful ones. Thanks, Lonnie
Posted by: Dogboy

Re: Limited Raccoons - 01/09/08 12:59 PM

Nice pictures my friend, any of those coyotes over the 30lb mark?????

Your a brave man holding onto that coyotes tail like that.

I wouldn't care if all 4 legs were in a trap, no way jose on touching that critter...

Re: Limited Raccoons - 01/09/08 01:35 PM

Several were well over 30 pounds.

Here's #19. A male yote removed 01/09/08.

I also had a beaver toe-nail in a foothold. I guess it's educated now.

Re: A few more pics - 01/10/08 04:52 PM

No coyote this time ... but here's today's.

Posted by: yoteman2

Re: A few more pics - 01/11/08 02:13 AM

Man those coyote pics. are awesome. I used to trap em but just call em now. You make me want to start up again. Great pics, keep em coming.

Re: A few more pics - 01/11/08 03:14 PM

Thank you ... and I will try to put some new one's up each day if pssible.

Re: A few more pics - 01/12/08 10:43 AM

I put out some beaver meat from the beaver in the previous picture. The beaver meat produced this photo. #6 for the season ... a Tom.

Posted by: jaspa

Re: A few more pics - 01/12/08 01:09 PM

Minklessinpa is that a bucket set with a conabear? If so they are illegal to use in PA and lethal to anything to sticks it's head in there.

Re: A few more pics - 01/12/08 05:45 PM

Uh Oh

Re: A few more pics - 01/14/08 01:15 PM

This male is #20 for the season. Taken from the same 80 acres as everything else. And he ain't happy.

Re: A few more pics - 01/16/08 11:49 AM

Coyote #21 (female by both front feet), Bobcat #7 (Tom), Raccoon #6 (Boar) taken 01/16/08 from the same 80 acre contract.

Posted by: Gutshot2506

Re: A few more pics - 01/17/08 09:36 AM

Man you are tearin em' up!! What type of set are you catchin all those in?

Re: A few more pics - 01/17/08 11:57 AM

22th Coyote this season. A male. Removed this morning 01/17/08.

And a female "Grinner" ... #8

Re: A few more pics - 01/17/08 11:58 AM

Dirt Holes and Flat Sets are what is taking hese.
Posted by: Jacob_Hanan

Re: A few more pics - 01/17/08 04:10 PM

you are braver than I holding thoose coyotes like that.

Man I sure would like to have called that place before you got a hold of it. that many on 80 acres, they would have came from all directions.

your the man!

Re: A few more pics - 01/17/08 07:38 PM

LOL ... you couldn't call it. It's in the City Limits.
Posted by: jaspa

Re: A few more pics - 01/21/08 10:54 AM

OKTrap your fur shed should be overflowing. LOL. Good job keep it up.
Posted by: bowhunter34

Re: A few more pics - 01/21/08 05:04 PM

looks like your pretty successful. great pictures

Re: A few more pics - 01/23/08 04:17 AM

Thank you. But it looks like my season is going to end early. Especially since I found out yesterday that I have to have back surgery.
Posted by: trapwv

Re: A few more pics - 01/23/08 12:23 PM

Good luck with your surgery, sorry to hear about it. To bad you have to call it quits for the year, you been tearing it up! I enjoyed your pics. Take care
Posted by: Gimmieabeer

Re: A few more pics - 01/23/08 05:51 PM

Good luck with the surgery, my wife is having knee surgery on tuesday,i so I will have to spend some time at the house helping her out. I really enjoyed the pics, thanks.

Re: A few more pics - 02/03/08 11:26 AM

This queen was taken on a dirthole with pure skunk essence for an attractor. She is #8 bobcat for the season so far. Here are three picks of her by herself, and a great one with Chas (pronounced "Chase"), my youngest trapping pard.

Re: A few more pics - 02/03/08 11:28 AM

Surgery is sheduled for February 12, 2008. Thank yall for the prayers ... they are needed and felt.
Posted by: trapper0829

Re: A few more pics - 02/03/08 01:53 PM

yep totally illegal minklessinpa you have to have them submerged in a waterway and the waterway is determined by the game warden

what you think is submerged or a waterway means nothing if the game warden thinks otherwise
just tryin to keep you outta trouble

Re: A few more pics - 02/04/08 10:00 AM

This is the 23rd Coyote (female) taken this morning 02/04/08 ... from the same 80 acres as all of the other pictures I have posted on here so far.

Posted by: yotecaller91

Re: A few more pics - 02/05/08 08:48 PM

You can make conibear sets for coons, you just have to have the bucket on a waterway, and in his pic you can see there is standing water that stays standing.

Re: A few more pics - 02/05/08 09:45 PM

My apologies for the poor quality pictures. I was worried about my Walker hound jumping out of the truck window when I was trying to take the pictures. However, 24th Coyote and 9th Bobcat.

Posted by: VarminterSpecial

Re: A few more pics - 02/05/08 11:56 PM

Sweet. What were you using as bait?

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 08:26 AM

On those sets, I used duck feathers for a visual, and O'Gormans "Long Distance Call". Both were Dirt Hole sets.
Posted by: psychowolverine

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 09:00 AM

Quote:

On those sets, I used duck feathers for a visual, and O'Gormans "Long Distance Call". Both were Dirt Hole sets.

what traps were you using and how do you stake yours down..

BTW, Congrats on all the catches.. Sounds like one heck of a season.

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 11:01 AM

Here's #25. A big male taken 02/06/08 in the KB 5.5 Compound w/ lamiated jaws on a dirthole set. I use 18" cable stakes with "Super Stake" ends for anchors.

Posted by: trapwv

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 11:40 AM

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 12:20 PM

Quote:

KB 5.5 Compound w/ laminated jaws on a dirthole set. I use 18" cable stakes with "Super Stake" ends for anchors.

thanks for the info...

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 02:01 PM

awesome. Can you show us what a dirt hole set that you do looks like?

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 02:18 PM

dirt holes are IMHO the easiest sets to do.. Having something for a backing such as a tree, fence post, clump of grass, an embankment, etc... you dig a hole on an angle about 12" deep(3 or 4" in diameter) and you have your bait or lure in it.. Lure seems best..

Then you have your trap bed in front of the hole about 8" or so..

when the yote or target animal steps on the trap when it goes to search out the smell, it sets off the trap. Trap is of course buried under a layer of dirt to hide the trap, its smell, and so on.. Staking is very important..

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 02:20 PM

here is a good link to the dirthole set.. Hope this link is OK

http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/dirthole_set.html

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 03:14 PM

My Dirthole: http://oktrapper.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=178

My Flatset: http://oktrapper.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=179

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 03:16 PM

sorry for another question, but what exactly are laminated jaws? I have never seen that before.. All I know is steel jaw and rubber jaws.. Thanks
Posted by: trapper0829

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 04:16 PM

minklesspa they stilll have to be submerged

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 04:47 PM

Laminated jaws have extra strips of flat or round steel welded to the outside or inside to increase the holding face of the jaws. This reduces damage and injury to an animal when caught.

Non-laminated Jaws:
https://host445.ipowerweb.com/~oktrapsu/catalog/catalog/images/kb5regular.jpg

Laminated Jaws:
https://host445.ipowerweb.com/~oktrapsu/catalog/catalog/images/kb5lam.jpg

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 04:56 PM

thanks for all the info.

Re: A few more pics - 02/06/08 09:58 PM

No problem.

Re: A few more pics - 02/07/08 12:35 PM

ok gotcha on the laminated jaws...

thanks again

Re: A few more pics - 02/07/08 09:14 PM

Glad I was able to assist you. Please feel free to email me with any questions ... oktrap1@cox.net.

Thank you:

Re: A few more pics - 02/10/08 04:14 PM

We pulled traps today, because I have to have back surgery on Tuesday (Feb.12, 2008). We removed the 26th coyote along with the trap line from this 80 acre contract. She had a long long coat, except where she had mange.

Posted by: gonzaga

Re: A few more pics - 02/10/08 06:00 PM

Good luck with your back surgery, I hope all goes well and a speedy recovery for you. Thanks for all of the info. Your post has been alot of help to those of us that have wondered about trapping. I have looked in on it a few times and kept up with the progress. Hard to believe that many animals on only 80 acres. You are the man.

Re: A few more pics - 02/10/08 06:34 PM

hope everything goes good! Nice coytoe.

Re: A few more pics - 02/11/08 12:46 AM

Thank yall for the support. As far as this property goes, I believe it to be a crossing point for all the wildlife, which would be why it produced so much. I removed 17 coyote last year from the same 80 acres. Along with the 26 coyote from it this year, were 9 bobcat, several raccoon, opossum, beaver, skunk, ducks, a couple muskrat and a deer. I think I will be trapping it again next season if my recovery goes well.

Thank you all ... it has been a pleasure sharing this year with each of you. I will sneak on from time to time as long as my wife doesn't catch me sitting up-right ... since the doctor said I couldn't for more than 20 minutes a day after the surgery.

Thanks again yall:
Posted by: Texas_Joe

Re: A few more pics - 02/11/08 07:35 AM

Hope your surgery goes well.Thanks for sharing your pictures I have really enjoyed them all.
Posted by: Gimmieabeer

Re: A few more pics - 02/11/08 07:55 AM

Don't they try to bite you when u grab their tail like that??? A few years ago, I shot one and when I walked up to it and kicked it to see if it was dead it spun around and grabbed my boot!!

Re: A few more pics - 02/11/08 01:05 PM

I have only ever had one spin to try and bite me. But a sharp rap on the nose with my catch pole, changed it's attitude.

Re: A few more pics - 02/11/08 10:01 PM

This is for those wondering how 80 acres can produce so much.

Quote:

Here goes:

Due to the fact that this particular 80 acres is surrounded on three sides (North, South and East) by approximately 2000 acres of pea patches and corn fields ... and it's bordered on the entire West side by a high traffic road to reduce a Westward escape ... with a creek running the entire length from South to North through the property with a few twist and turns which is also lined with large rocks and boulders ... the relevancy of the location in contrast to the over population of beaver and muskrat as a natural food source on this property will continue to entice other nuisance and predatory animals to build housing, lodges and dens to raise their offspring with the comforts of an abundant food source and natural protection from other wildlife populations. I have determined through extensive and scientifically based studies, utilizing an unbiased panel of youthful experts (of 7, 9, & 10 years old) ... that there could not be a better habitat in this area other than the aforementioned 80 acres.

After careful consideration, countless man hours, endless research with consideration to controlled polls of the general public in order to assure that my conclusions coincide with those that are socially accepted, and with the input of all concerned parties being professionally scrutinized by another independent expert panel of One ... we have determined the final conclusion to the productive nature of this 80 acres as being ... A CROSSING POINT.

We would like to thank all parties for their interest and input in this troubling situation.

Thank you:

Posted by: BBsteel

Re: A few more pics - 02/12/08 10:07 AM

I've really enjoyed viewing your pics and reading up on your tactics on this thread.

I wish you a fast and well recovery on your back surgery today.

Good luck!
Posted by: slickliner

Re: A few more pics - 02/12/08 02:12 PM

Really enjoyed your thread. Hope you have a quick recovery!!

Re: A few more pics - 02/14/08 08:43 AM

Thank yall ...
Posted by: MSCwrestling

Re: A few more pics - 02/14/08 02:32 PM

Here's to 26 more next year! Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed all the pics!

Re: A few more pics - 02/14/08 02:52 PM

Thank you. I was more than glad to be able to share this year. Lord willing ... I will be able to next year as well.
Posted by: Predburner

Re: A few more pics - 02/19/08 07:01 PM

I'm an Okie too....Great job and pics...You sure have peaked my interest in trapping....I hope your recovery goes well....

Re: A few more pics - 02/19/08 08:23 PM

Thank you very much ... recovery is under way and going good I'm told.
Posted by: johnmeador609

Re: A few more pics - 02/19/08 09:39 PM

Almost made me buy some traps the other day while I was at Gander Mt.

Thanks for the thread and a speedy recovery.

Re: A few more pics - 02/19/08 10:28 PM

No problem. I love to share experiences, pictures and knowledge with others. I guess it's the "Instructor" in me from past jobs.
Posted by: call-m-all

Re: A few more pics - 02/21/08 11:57 PM

one thing I notes is that sum of your traps are not died why?
I've seen your traps and think that thay may be good so I gut sum. havant used them yet and my trapping has ended so it will be next year be for I will used them but thay look good and love your posting keep on going

Re: A few more pics - 02/21/08 11:58 PM

I don't dye the traps that are new. I let nature rust them up for me the first season. The machine oils on the traps does not deter the critters.