Help for a beginner

Posted by: Gomer746

Help for a beginner - 05/01/09 12:48 AM

Im looking to get into trapping in the Michigan UP this fall/winter. I have access to a large chunk of land and was going to try to target coons, fox, and coyote. This area has a hardwood stand, a stream, upland aspens, and everything in between. I was wondering what I should get as far as equipment, I would like to try one trap size, but need some advise. I read that I could use 4 coil, 1.75 coil traps for all the species. Does anyone have any more tips or advise? Thanks.
Posted by: hawkeye68

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/01/09 08:47 AM

1.75 will work for coyote i like a bigger trap but 1.75 will work

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/01/09 11:49 PM

Thanks, Im just trying to keep it simple to start out.
Posted by: Jeff Erwin

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/02/09 09:02 AM

get some 1.5's for the coons or your have problems. the 1.75's wil work for the k9's. you have to guide a lot with yotes to get them on the pan of a 1.75 but its do able

what ever you do, make sure your traps are staked solid.if ya need help with the guiding let me know, I'll get ya some pics to help ya out.
Posted by: Bryan8

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/03/09 10:20 AM

I like 1.5 coils for coon and fox. Get some 2's for yotes.

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/04/09 10:32 PM

thanks, the only reason i wanted to stick with one "all purpose trap" was that i could order a dozen or so because of being a little money tight, thanks for the advise though.

Help with guiding would be great, also where would you recommend to get traps from?
Posted by: TRAPPERKRIS

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/05/09 08:54 PM

Mr. ASA LENON is the man to get in touch with. He resides in gulliver michigan. Never ordered any traps from him BUT his lures are top notch. I know he frequents trapperman.com.

chris from nv.
Posted by: tntrapper

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/05/09 09:18 PM

look a 1 1/2 will hold coon,fox,bobcats,yotes, easy,, i use victor 1 1/2 softcatch with number 2 music wire springs put on them... i have had pullouts but that is rare. will bigger traps with coon is that they will bite at the trap and get there toes .... i have held 40's and 50 pound yotes in 1 1/2

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/08/09 08:11 PM

Quote:

thanks, the only reason i wanted to stick with one "all purpose trap" was that i could order a dozen or so because of being a little money tight, thanks for the advise though.

Help with guiding would be great, also where would you recommend to get traps from?

these guys would be closer to you then Asa, and they are reasonly priced. I get a lot of equipment from them and they are top notch.

http://www.nwtrappers.com/

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/08/09 10:13 PM

Quote:

All I do for guiding is: I sift my dirt over the trap and get it packed in solid, then I take 3 of the bigger, about dime to quarter size dirt clogs or and put them in a V position in the pattern, I put one at each lever, on the side closest to the hole, then I put one just offset from the dog closes to you, almost on the edge of the pattern, then I sift a final covering over my pattern. there should be enough dirt over everything so the clogs look like they are naturally sticking up out of the ground. you don't want to cover them so they are hid, a K9 doesn't like to step on something sticking up any more then you so they will step over the clog at the dog and hit the pan sqare because the other 2 clogs will keep them from side stepping the pan. I hope this helps, if I get a chance, I'll try to get pics posted later this week.

you can also do the V thing with small twigs, or if your in a corn field, corn stalk pieces will work. all your doing is telling Mr Songdog where he WILL put his foot , not where he thinks he wants to put it

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/19/09 06:36 AM

thanks for all the help
Posted by: muskrat30

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/25/09 08:46 AM

Hey Gomer, I don't want to be a fly in the ointment but have you read the MI trapping regulations? I'm talking about the part as to how it relates to WI residents, if you are one? This may not apply, if so pardon me. There are a few possible gray areas. Maybe even as an 'assistant' to a MI resident? Private land is also easier to deal with.

Anyway, coons are easy to catch. The others a little more effort. I'd at least put a mink set along the creek & if any open water look to beaver & muskrat. A fisher/bobcat cubby in thick cover is another idea, it will also catch coons. With a coyote set you would eventually have a wolf snap the trap, you will never hold one in a 1.75. Beaver meat makes a good predator bait.

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/25/09 10:46 AM

With a coyote set you would eventually have a wolf snap the trap, you will never hold one in a 1.75.

Thats a good thing, it keeps you from having to release the dang thing, plus it educates it to stay way from your sets. sounds like win/win for both the wolf and trapper.

But I would hate to burst you bubble on the 1.75 holding a wolf. I have seen pics of a wolf in a #2 and there isn't that much difference between a 1.75 and a 2

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/25/09 10:54 PM

Im going to school at Michigan Tech, so as a student I qualify for resident status, but your heads up on that. Im on CFR land, know the real owner, not to many wolves, but dont really want to have to release on if caught.
Posted by: muskrat30

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/28/09 02:46 PM

Great, sounds like your covered.
Posted by: yotieslayr

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/31/09 12:51 AM

Great place to order traps is from Minnisota Trapline Products, Tim & Nancy Caven are two of the nicest folks you could do business with their # is 1-320-599-4176 call for a free supply catalog very prompt shipping. Might i suggest ordering a couple 120conibears for mink,muskrats&pinemarten about 4 1.5 coils for coon,fox,mink a couple 220-conibears for coon,fishers check w/state regs. before setting 220s on land and 4 #3 size traps for coyotes, i emphisize this size trap for coyotes because i specialize in coyote trapping, yes you can hold a coyote in a 1.75 but a 6.5inch jawspread is a bigger target area use steel screen for pancovers, the best coyote trappers in the country advocate using a #3size trap Craig O Gorman, Slim Pederson, Clint Locklear just to name a few, also order a couple how to books on the species your targeting i could go on forever so feel free to pm me i could help out with some extra traps i would donate you to help get you started for payment i ask that when you become a proficient trapper that you help out someone else getting started trapping, we need future trappers or else there wont be anyone left to defend our sport.
Posted by: kal52

Re: Help for a beginner - 05/31/09 12:38 PM

like you Im a beginner, I dont trap a whole lot of land, just a bit around my hunting shack until I get better.

I had success by using some 110's, I dig a little hole under the water, then cover it up with a bit of muck/weeds, then I use wire anchors in the bank. I take a whole can of sardines, crack it and pour out some of the oil out around the site, (i reuse the tin over again). then I stick the tin in a whole on the bank. If the tin gets old I open it up and mix the sardines with some fish oil an start again until its gone.

first time I got a coon and 2 muskrat in one nite, 3 of the 5 traps produced for me. I kept them about 50-75yds apart.

Its alot of fun.

Good luck

Dave

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/02/09 04:04 PM

thanks, i will look into some bigger traps for coyotes.
Posted by: yotieslayr

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/03/09 07:42 PM

Hey Gomer i sent u a PM if your still interseted in those coyote traps but havnt heard back from you, im new to this computer stuff so maybe i did something wrong in sending it, anyway i didnt want you thinking i was ignoring you if you happened to not get the PM.

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/04/09 07:30 PM

i got your message, dont know if mine got to you or not.
Posted by: Paws_N_Claws

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/05/09 05:25 PM

Make an account on www.Trapperman.com. You will learn tons on there!

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/05/09 09:29 PM

Quote:

Make an account on www.Trapperman.com. You will learn tons on there!

just don't ask any question or you will be ripped to shreds from the know it alls that know nothing over there . Personnally I wouldn't recommend that site to anyone thats wanting to get into trapping or is a trapper, there are better sites out there.

this is a far better site to go to, to learn about trapping, and its made for the beginner .

http://cajunbill.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Posted by: Chad Walk

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/06/09 01:18 AM

+1.....What Jeff said!!!!!
Posted by: trapper2

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/06/09 02:40 PM

you can get hammered on here too, if you dont watch out, theres know it alls everywhere

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/06/09 03:45 PM

Quote:

you can get hammered on here too, if you dont watch out, theres know it alls everywhere

Thank you, I'll take that as a complimemt since after 34 years trapping, I don't know a thing
Posted by: trapper2

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/06/09 03:50 PM

just saying that it can happen here too

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/07/09 09:30 PM

thanks guys, im appreciating all the help

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/07/09 09:36 PM

ive actually been on both of those sites, but thanks

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/11/09 09:09 AM

I was wondering if it would be worth my while to skin taxidermy style for what i get, if i could get more selling stuff to taxidermists than to fur market, assuming i catch some critters of course.
Posted by: bigfish57

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/13/09 01:19 PM

The taxi's I am able to occationaly sell to want them in the round fresh or recently frozen.

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/15/09 12:04 AM

I was wondering how much lure to put out at a trap, how long should say a 9 oz bottle should last.

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/15/09 04:45 PM

Quote:

I was wondering how much lure to put out at a trap, how long should say a 9 oz bottle should last.

a 9 oz bottle should last a couple of seasons

all I do is take a ragweed stem ( they are hollow) and dip it in the lure bottle, what holds on to the stem is all you need at the set, and relure only after a heavy rain, right before a snow storm or every other week.

if your after K9's then I really suggest you relure right before a snow storm, the snow will cover the set but the smell of the lure will come thru and drive them crazy till they can get to it, which in turns means they hit the pan and are still there in the morning

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/21/09 12:07 PM

I would like to thank Sharkathmi for the "Trapper and Predator Caller" magazines.

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/23/09 10:49 AM

I would also like to thank Yotieslayr for the traps he is sending.

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/23/09 01:29 PM

I was wondering where you guys would get buckets from for coon and fisher sets?

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/23/09 05:24 PM

theres a bunch of sources for buckets

fast food joints gets condomints in them, most jsut pitch them.

house painters get paint in 5 gallon buckets and they just pitch those also.

if your looking for square buckets, try asking any carpenters you know or anyone with cat that uses kitty litter.

if your looking for those newspaper boxes, theres a company that sells them in the Trapper & Pedator Caller magazine.

hope this helps.

also there might be someone selling some at the NTA in Lima Ohio the weekend of July 30th
Posted by: Bsj425

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/28/09 11:44 AM

Check Trapperman there are TONS of used traps there for alot less than you would pay most are already dyed and wax to save you some work..

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1395127.html#Post1395127

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1389308/gonew/1.html#UNREAD

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1381449.html#Post1381449

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1390239/gonew/1.html#UNREAD

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1382604.html#Post1382604

theres a start
Posted by: ksboy2

Re: Help for a beginner - 06/29/09 07:04 PM

i've gotta disagree w/ bryan 8

i think the one and three quarter is a better yote trap than the two...
built better...

if youre gonna trap coyote use a no. three montana special

Re: Help for a beginner - 07/05/09 09:36 PM

I was wondering how far ahead of time i should order lures, Im looking at getting some MTS Hiawatha.
Posted by: ksboy2

Re: Help for a beginner - 07/08/09 11:27 AM

anytime is fine...

i keep all my lure in the freezer for the summer... most of the lure you buy has some sort of anti freeze in it...

don't focus on lure... focus on location and sign

you'll catch a lot more critters off good sign and location than lure

Re: Help for a beginner - 10/05/09 12:30 PM

I have been doing a lot of reading on putting up furs and not much is being said about salting the hides. Do I need to or is it assumed?
Posted by: doodle

Re: Help for a beginner - 10/05/09 01:02 PM

If you are doing a good job fleshing and then boarding your furs there is no need for salt. The fleshing process removes all the tissues that will decay and rot, and then the skin, when boarded, will simply dry out. On a big old greasy coon you may want to wipe the shine off as it drys but still no salt. At times Borax (used for laundry) can be handy to aid in drying out tough places. One may use Borax on a coyote around the ears if you leave the cartlage in or had trouble removing some grissel. Another place could be right between the front legs of say a bobcat if you feel that the rest of the hide is ready to turn but that part is still a little tacky. Even in the mentioned cases, I would recomed Borax to salt and then it is just rubbed on the needed area.

Re: Help for a beginner - 10/06/09 05:49 PM

I am getting ready do dye my traps, can i use a pot, or will it also dye the pot, it is stainless steel. i am trying to find a 30 gallon drum or are there other alternatives?

Re: Help for a beginner - 10/07/09 01:18 PM

I have two pots that I use. The first, for my dye only, is a big turkey frier pot I belive 32 quarts maybe. All that I use that pot for is dying traps. A bigger pot would maby save a little time but no more traps than you have you could probably fit them all in a pot that size. I use a turkey frier and that pot is about as big as I feel safe setting up there. Between my partner and I we waxed and died almost 200 traps and then dyed over 100 snares and drags and odd other things, it took us two days. It was a full weekend but we had some beer and messed around in the down time. At the end of the weekend we were ready for the season, all equiptment and fur shed items invintoried ordered and ready to rock. If you got some buddies it is a great excuse to hang out with the guys. We sent the wemen to the city with 50$ each and had a great weekend (so did the girls confused)
Sorry I digressed a little with the memories of good times, back to the pots. Pot number 2 is smaller. I belive that it is a 15 quart and it is for the wax. I bought enough wax my first year to fill up the pot and have just been adding a little more every year since. I can only fit in one maybe two traps at a time but when waxing that is all I can handle anyway. It only takes 45sec. to a minute per trap so I take a trap out put a new one in and by the time I have hung the old trap to cool the new one is ready to repeat the process. I belive that your wax pot should be just big enough to submerge your largest foothold. (Never wax bodygrips very dangerous) Much bigger is just a waste of wax. O'Gorman still has the same wax pot with wax in it that he used in the seventies. So in the off season I just put those pots away wax and all and will pull them out again late next summer.

Re: Help for a beginner - 10/07/09 08:24 PM

I was wondering if it would stain the pot?

Re: Help for a beginner - 10/08/09 10:08 AM

There is a good chance.

Re: Help for a beginner - 10/15/09 08:43 PM

Well, got them dyed and waxed and set my first line today, will post pics if I get anything, thanks for all the help.

Re: Help for a beginner - 10/21/09 04:10 PM

How do you handle the nose on raccoons? do you have to remove the cartilage?

Re: Help for a beginner - 10/22/09 11:21 PM

This is the first catch, hopefully will pic up many more this weekend, beaver starts this sunday.

Re: Help for a beginner - 10/27/09 11:46 PM

Second Catch

Re: Help for a beginner - 03/01/10 11:24 PM

I would like to thank everyone for the help, season ended today and I pulled everything for the year except one beaver snare, which is still in season for a month.

Again, thank you all, I had a fantastic time, and can't wait until next year.