2023 Hog Hunt

6mm06

Last month I made another trip south for some hog hunting fun. Computer and editing issues have hindered me working up a video.

I shot three hogs from the stand one night, dropping all near each other. Hogs kept coming into the field and didn't seem bothered by the dead ones. My aim on the last hog (#4) in the video appears to have been good, but I did not recover it. All others dropped on the spot at an estimated 80-90 yards.

My rifle is a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Remington, shooting 85 gr. Barnes TSX bullets. The scope is an ATN 4k Pro in 5-20x model, and I used a Wraith 850nm illuminator I purchased from the UK.

52920361592_707075465f_c.jpg

52920361652_829e6a791c_c.jpg

52921104934_e7b4fd40dc_c.jpg

53006618826_3af4668c62_c.jpg

Looks like you had a good successful hunt! Congrats on giving some pigs the dirt nap.

How did that TTSX do? I'm guessing pretty good at the speeds it was going out of a 6mm.

Last edited:

JTP, I used the non-tipped TSX in the 6mm. They did the job. Of course I was head shooting so not sure that tells much since even a conventional bullet will drop them with head shots. The last hog was not recovered. I thought I had missed it but after viewing the video later, it appears that my aim was good. I scanned the field with thermal and didn’t see him, making me think it was a miss. He may have dropped back in the brush somewhere.

Hey David, nice shooting! I don't know how I missed this video when it was posted. Sure looked like that 4th hog should have been down. As we've discussed in the past that whiteout after the shot with digital NV makes it hard sometimes to tell what happened. Glad you had a good hunt.

Thanks, Owen. We always have a good time there and so far have not come home empty handed. As to the digital scope, whiteout is the downside. Still, I like it and like the ease of use of the 4k Pro. The new illuminator gives a very bright and clear view. I took my Grendel and Apex thermal scope along on the hunt but didn’t use it for hogs this time, but I did use it for a little coyote calling one night. I also took the Rattler thermal to use as a scanner. It worked great for that purpose.

Back