suppressor documents

musky01

Good morning :
How and what documents do you carry with you when at the range or out hunting ? Can you copy and shrink them down ? Do you need all of the trust papers with you as well ?

Thanks Bob

A pic of the form 4 on my phone. Actually suppressors are so common now I don't even give it a thought and I don't think law enforcement does either to be honest.

Saved the stamps as a PDF on my phone. I do have the trust as a PDF also but not for the purpose of carrying the can with me.

Saved on my phone. Also remember as far as I know the only people who have the right to ask for them and look at them are the ATF or IRS. You don’t have to show Law enforcement or Game wardens if they ask.

Saved on my phone. Also remember as far as I know the only people who have the right to ask for them and look at them are the ATF or IRS. You don’t have to show Law enforcement or Game wardens if they ask.
That's not true. For whatever reason, if anyone in the law enforcement community finds you have a suppressor and you can't prove at the time it's found that it's legal, off to jail you go.

That's not true. For whatever reason, if anyone in the law enforcement community finds you have a suppressor and you can't prove at the time it's found that it's legal, off to jail you go.
only if you are be investigated for some other issue, as just the visual(observation) of possession of a suppressor is not a local law enforcement issue. It is a federal tax enforcement issue, something local enforcement has no jurisdiction over.

I don't know whether or not local LEO has jurisdiction but I'd imagine they could likely detain you and call in proper authorities if the suspected something wasn't right. For me, why make it more difficult for yourself or local LEO they get hassled enough as it is. Keep the proper information either on your phone or a paper copy and in the rare event you're asked for it it's easy to show. If you're not doing anything wrong or illegal make it easy for both of you and carry on with your day.

I don't know whether or not local LEO has jurisdiction but I'd imagine they could likely detain you and call in proper authorities if the suspected something wasn't right. For me, why make it more difficult for yourself or local LEO they get hassled enough as it is. Keep the proper information either on your phone or a paper copy and in the rare event you're asked for it it's easy to show. If you're not doing anything wrong or illegal make it easy for both of you and carry on with your day.
^^^^ This. Plain and simple, professional, and courteous.

yea that’s what was told To me by a shop where I got the suppressor. They said it’s a federal tax document and doesn’t pertain to local law enforcement. They don’t have the authority to check the document.

With that said I have my stamps on my phone so I have them. But I was just passing on what I was told.

As a retired law enforcement officer for 46 years, the advice is always have documentation of some sort with you. Over the years, I've put numerous people in jail for short barrel rifles & shotguns. Of course it really didn't help some of them when it was found they were also a convicted felon.

From the ATF web site..........

Does the possessor of an NFA firearm have to show proof of registration?​

Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported.
[26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 479.101]
Last Reviewed April 20, 2020

The ATF is a branch of the Justice Department, and as such, the Attorney General, or his/her designee, (ATF agents) have the LEGAL right to demand the production of the tax stamp. It doesn't say the game warden, local police, sherifs deputy or anyone else. Yes, they may be a hard ass and detain me in an attempt to exhibit their authority but they do so at the risk of having to defend themselves against an illegal detainment suit. You do not give up your 4th Amendment rights when you own a suppressor.

Last edited:
If you have some odd worry about law enforcement reaction to your suppressor, use a copy machine to make a 20% of original size print, laminate it for carry. A hollow AR handle also makes a good storage. Leave the stamp at home, secure storage.

I keep a copy on my phone. I’ve never been checked and don’t know anyone that has. Probably the only way you will be checked for the stamp is if you are suspected of another crime.

Not correct.

Depends on state law.

Some states suppressors and SBR's are "illegal" BUT the same law carves out an exception for those items that are "properly registered".

EXAMPLE OF FLORIDA LAW

790.221 Possession of short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or machine gun; penalty.—
(1) It is unlawful for any person to own or to have in his or her care, custody, possession, or control any short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or machine gun which is, or may readily be made, operable; but this section shall not apply to antique firearms.
(2) A person who violates this section commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
(3) Firearms in violation hereof which are lawfully owned and possessed under provisions of federal law are excepted.

Because these items are illegal per se, when encountered with them, LE can most certainly require you to demonstrate you meet the exception contained in subsection (3).

Suppressors are not mentioned in FL law so merely having one does not constitute Florida LEO's having the right to demand to see your Form 4 or Form 1.

Back