Scope under $500?

Looking for thoughts on a decent scope for under $500. Im looking at a Burris Signature HD3-15x44 w/illuminated E3 reticle for a little over $400. They are made in China but have good reviews.
I also thought about a Athlon Midas TAC but they are heavy. Any one else have an opinion? Thanks

Couple of concerns:

How far are you shooting (max distance)?
What cartridge?
Predator hunting only? i.e. no sage rats or similar?

If you are looking to stay under $500 need more info.

Plinking and predator hunting. I also find myself at a bench a lot here lately out of boredom. As a reloader I'm always looking for another load. Furthest would probably be 600 yards. I can shoot further but never really felt a need.
I like a little more magnification than a 3-9. I have several 4-16 scopes that I like but just want something different.
I have a 4-24 that I find myself turning down the magnification to between 12-16 so there's that.
I also like having a lower magnification at the bottom end. Never know when you need that field of view.

There are scopes out there that meet your requirements, but the quality is questionable. My suggestion would be to start looking at major brands .... Vortex, Zeiss, Leupold, etc and see if there is anything that fits for you. Burris that you mentioned is not a bad choice but I shy away from illuminated reticles (just my preference). Quality glass under $500 is very rare unless it is a very low power or a fixed power.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with Athlon and can't comment on them.

For the price range you gave, the EPL line of scopes would fit that bill. I’ve got a Arken EPL 4x16x44 for a budget scope (less than $500 dollars) and it’s been decent. I mainly got it to test out but it has proven to dial reliably. However, the reticle is a bit difficult to see at low magnification but not completely unusable. I also wouldn’t trust it to maintain zero with any falls or significant bumps.

Overall it’s been decent for what I’ve used it for. I think the glass is good enough to shoot longer ranges. I’ve made hits to 1200, 1000, 975, and a bunch of ranges under that. Could always spot my impacts.

Im not saying this is the very best scope out there but it’s been great for the price.

The Vortex PST 2.5-10X44 illuminated might appeal to you. Currently $317 ($359 sale price minus 12% coupon code SANTA12). It's the Gen1, which some prefer actually due to lighter weight, but still a highly rated scope with a decent reticle. They were $700 before the Gen2s came out. I may get one myself for my fox gun, I've been looking for a solid illuminated scope without breaking the bank.
Screenshot_20231209_092153_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231209_100341_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
i started getting into athlon. as good or better bang for the buck compared to vortex, which i have a few of those too
and they have the same no questions asked lifetime warranty. if you read more into them they strive getting into and sponsoring shooting tourneys and matches for youth in shooting sports. a lot of their stuff has a illuminated too
i put the vortex tactical 4-16 FFP on my ar, Vortex Diamondback 4-16x44mm 30mm Tube First Focal Plane Rifle Scope, Color: Black, Tube Diameter: 30 mm — Free 2 Day Shipping w/ code 2DAYAIR — 5 models im a fan but no illuminated rec

i cannot afford a zeiss or trijicon and never look at them. leupold gets up there in price unless i just find a deal i cant pass on.

For the price range you gave, the EPL line of scopes would fit that bill. I’ve got a Arken EPL 4x16x44 for a budget scope (less than $500 dollars) and it’s been decent. I mainly got it to test out but it has proven to dial reliably. However, the reticle is a bit difficult to see at low magnification but not completely unusable. I also wouldn’t trust it to maintain zero with any falls or significant bumps.

Overall it’s been decent for what I’ve used it for. I think the glass is good enough to shoot longer ranges. I’ve made hits to 1200, 1000, 975, and a bunch of ranges under that. Could always spot my impacts.

Im not saying this is the very best scope out there but it’s been great for the price.
But they are big and heavy.

I'm a big fan of the Sightron 3-15x44 S-Tacs, as I have seven of them.....

But they are big and heavy.
Yeah they are on the heavy side. This EPL version went to the 30mm tube and is a bit lighter than the previous SH versions. Think they’re coming out with a capped turret model soon as well.

I will also add that I got a gen 1 vortex razor LH 3x15x42 with the G4 reticle shown below. It’s a 1 inch tube. This little scope has been surprisingly bomb proof! I’m not a vortex fan either. You can sometimes find those for around $500 bucks. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one of those.

Attachments

• IMG_6794.png
    IMG_6794.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 24
Meopta is a good brand. They have different price levels on scopes. I believe they make the glass for Zeiss.

Meopta makes some glass for Zeiss, but those are the entry level models that are farmed out to Japan. Zeiss upper level scopes are manufactured in Germany.

Look at AA Optics, one of our sponsors here. They also sell refurbished scopes. For the Vortex line, look on the at the refurbs for a Viper HS. It is a great scope in my opinion and cans be had in a 4-16 or 6-24.

I've looked at AA optics. Most of the stuff in my price range is OOS. I've looked at and am still looking at a few Meopta scopes.
I like Athlon but they are heavy. I take all my rigs calling at different points and always walk several miles so weight is always on my mind.
I have several Vortex Scopes. You can catch sales on Vipers where a 4-16 HS is a little over $300. I also have a Viper 2.5-10 that I paid $179. and 8 Diamondback HPs with Viper glass. I was just looking for something different.
I don't know anything about Sightron. I'll have to look into them. Thanks for the ideas everyone

Like "alf" I like the S-tacs and have a pair on varmint rifles. For coyote hunting with higher magnification I do like the Athlon Argos 2-12, it is a 1" scope and is reasonably light. Most of my coyote hunting rifles wear 1-4 to 1.5-6 scopes

I would check out the Element Optics Helix. Punches way above its price point. Tracking and adjustments feel like a Nightforce. I absolutely love mine. Priced just under $500

Meopta, Meopta, Meopta….i have 4 of the Optika 5’s…2-10x & 3-15x…they track very well, are built like a tank, and the glass is exceptional for the price…they are absolutely better than the VX3HD 3-10x Firedot I have. Only cons are the weight, and size of the magnification ring. Otherwise nothing in the price range compares IMO.

Back