Rustydog goes south to California, 4 coyotes taken, PICS

derbyacresbob

Rustydog came down to my place in the evening on Monday and we went calling Tuesday and Wednesday. I met Rustydog at the PM Globe hunt in February of this year. The calling has been tough around here this year but we did get a few and miss a few coyotes. On Tuesday morning on our 2nd stand we had two hard chargers coming our way at about 300 yards but the wind had changed on us and they got wind of us. Later in the day we were sitting in the shade of a Juniper, Rustydog had the rifle and I had my shotgun.
IMG_4072.jpg

Here is Rustydog sitting in the shade of the Juniper. We were sitting side by side with the caller about 15 yards in front of us. Not very long into the call I see some movement in the low brush right if front of Rustydog. A coyote charged in and stopped starring at the call less than 15 yards from us. At that distance my 12 ga with Rem HD BB's tipped the coyote over pretty good, the exit holes were little.
IMG_4086.jpg

Here is Rustydog holding the coyote.

We didn't call in anymore coyotes on Monday but we did see a stupid one while heading home just before dark. I shot it with my D-Tech 243 WSSM at about 50 yards.
IMG_4093.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

Here is Rustydog holding the stupid coyote. Yes this really is Rustydog, he is now skinny.

On the first stand on Wednesday morning we set up calling up two canyons from the bottom of the canyons where they came together. The wind was coming down the canyons to us. The call had not been going long when I heard what sounded like a deer running down the ridge and it sounded like whatever it was was going to run right over us. I saw movement out of my left eye and it was a coyote at about 15 feet. I raised my shotgun and hit him twice at about 15 yards and 20 yards and that dropped him. At the distance I was shooting at this coyote with my Carlson's Dead Coyote choke my pattern was probably about 6" wide and I was a little excited.
IMG_4105.jpg

Quite a few of the stands I make I am glad I am using my FX5 and the external SP-55 speaker. In the above picture this is how I had the speakers pointed, one speaker pointed into each canyon we were calling into.
We called up until about 2 PM without calling anything in and then we decided to head to some lower country to do some rifle calling. On the first Stand that we were going to make on the walk into the stand we spotted three coyotes heading out away from us. We were already hunkered down walking in so we just dropped down prone. The coyotes were looking our way but they did not know what we were and they were not in a hurry. At about 250 yards one of them stopped and was looking back at us. I was laying prone with my D-Tech 243 WSSM and bi-pod. The coyote was looking straight at me so I put the cross hairs right on his nose and popped him. This was only the second coyote I had shot at with this rifle and I had got them both. Rustydog grabbed a hand call and did some coyote Ki-Yi's and one of the other coyotes came back into view. This coyote was way out there over 300 yards, Rustydog shot at him and missed, he was using my rifle so I think that is a good excuse for missing a long shot like that. A few stands later we were calling on flat ground with out much cover and we were laying prone with rifles again. After about 6 or 7 minutes I looked a little to my left and there is a coyote standing about 80 yards away looking straight on right at me. So I moved my AR that has never missed a coyote yet over to the left and put the cross hairs right in the middle of his chest. Then I pulled the trigger on my AR just like I always do with my shotgun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif I MISSED HIM. We didn't call in anymore coyotes but I had a great time hunting with Rustydog. We hunted pretty hard from sunup to sundown both days.

Sounds like you guys had a great time out there getting a few yotes. Great pics and write up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Well done.
now that sounds like fun...i dont care who you are.
thanks for sharing the pics/hunt
Man I do like the looks of that D-Tech rig..nice!

Nice going 'bob. You would think that a guy who is retired, does NOTHING but hunt and fish, would be all smiles as he holds up yet another prize. Was he under the weather or mad cause he didn't get to shoot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am supposed to see him in January......I'll have to tell him to lighten up!
congrats on the coyotes....
RC

Hey Bob!

Thanks for writing such a great story. For those of you who know Bob, you already know that he is relentless in his quest for coyotes. I have hunted coyotes A LOT over the years and still learned a ton of new and important techniques from Bob. If I ever get a chance to hunt with him again, I'll be sure to lose another 30 lbs just so I can keep up with him. Enthusiasm, patience, and skill all come together to make Bob the most dedicated predator hunter I've ever met!

Special thanks Bob for a great time!

Rustydog

Last edited:
Congratulations fellas. Sounds like a little good fortune went south with Rustydog too. Hope he left some there. Thanks for sharing!

Back