Northwest Texas Hunt and Jinxed .17 - 10 coyotes called 4 shot

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Venatic and I made a quick hunt to Knox County, and we just got back to tonight. We have been trying to make this little hunt happen for a while, but our schedules just never could line up.

After hunt another place Friday, we made plans to head to Knox County this week. After deer hunting Monday morning, I made the 3 hour drive to David's place near Waco, and we proceeded to make the 4.5 hour drive to Know County. We say 3 coyotes on the road on the way, and stopped to check on a lady and her son who had hit a deer just as we got into Knox County.

Once we got to the ranch, we crashed for the night, with plans to hit it early.

I had brought my trusty D-tech, but I noticed David had brought his .17 Rem that he was hunting with last week. He is normally an AR man, and he did have his D-tech .20 Tactical along with the bolt .17 He was determine to get a coyote in the hand with the new rifle, and he mentioned something about it being jinxed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

The next moring we were up early and after some coffee, we headed to the first spot. This spot was the best dang looking spot you ever saw, overlooking a big flat where you could see for a LONG ways. It was about 48 degrees and I felt good about this spot.

Right after David started FX5, I saw a deer work away in the distant brush, and a few minutes later caught more movement, but wasn't sure what it was. After about 10 mintues, the caller went silent, and I caught movement coming towards us, and thinking that David was fixing to get up, I lip squeked to let him know I saw something, and the caller cranked back up. I never saw whatever it was, and at twenty minutes we called the stand. That was when I found out that David has seen a coyote circling downwind at about 300 yards, and I guess that was what I saw. But, he got by us somehow. I wish I had taken a picture of that spot but forgot.

The second stand was near an old barn and showed some hog sign.

knoxstand.jpg

It looked good too, but nothing showed.

We were driving to another location, and dang if there wasn't a coyote walking down the ranch road! He trotted off into the brush, and we drove on by a ways and found a nice spot to call. This was the second best looking stand of the 2 days in my opinion, and we set up on a big pile of dirt. On of of the pile was an almost fox hole like depression that made a great snipers hide.

David started the rabbit distress, and at the 3 minute mark, I told him we had one coming in. When he stopped about 100 yards out broad side, I touched it off. The coyote make about 3 spins and started running bake the way he went. I was falling in the scope and fired a second time just as he disappeared into the cedar, and just in time to see a second coyote beating it out of there two.

David switched to pup distress and then back to rabbit, and then I see a third coyote, just as he starts to leave. I wolfed at him, but he didn't give me a chance for a shot.

When we called the stand, I went to find my coyote.
Here is a shot of where he was.

dirtpilestand.jpg

The coyotes were right in the center of the picture with the wind blowing from left to right. I last saw the coyote going behind the 3rd clump of cedars from the left.

Here is looking back to our dirt pile perch.

dirtpile2.jpg

After about 20 minutes of looking, we never could find the coyote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

3 stand, 4 coyotes called and one shot and lost.

One the 4th stand, the jinx on the .17 started to come into play. We were set up with David overlooking a big washed out looking spot. This isn't the same spot, but it was very similar looking to this spot.

badlandstand.jpg

I was looking down a ranch road towards the caller. At the 4 minute mark, I hear David wolf, and turn my head to see a coyote right on top of us, and starting leave. I'm waiting for the shot that never comes, and watch the coyote run for the next 400 yards.

Come to find out, David had watched him coming from way off, and was sure he was going to kill him. Then, the jinx kicked in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just as he thought he would stop him for the shot, he didn't stop, got a bush on him, and left the country. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

OK. 4 stands, 5 coyotes called, and nothing in the hand, and a little poo poo on us.

Stands 5-9 produced nothing, and by 1 o'clock we decided to head into town for some lunch.

After lunch, stands 10 showed zip, but stand 11 things were looking up.

We set up looking towards the highway that was several hundred yards to our east, and the wind coming from the east in our face. The truck was parked behind us about a 1oo yards, and we set up with a decend view, but I could only really see to my right, and David had everything from the left of the caller.

hwystand.jpg

You can see the FX5 in the mesquite if you look close.

At the 3 minute mark, I see a coyote coming from the direction of the highway, but he is trying to circle downwind of and heading hard right. If he gets much farther, he is going to be behind over a little hill from my view right into the truck.

I swung my sticks around, and tried to get him in the scope, but a big limb on the mesquite tree is blocking me. I drop down a littel to shot under the limb and just as I find him in the scope, I realize he sees me and is turning to go. BOOM! Spin, spin, spin. He's down. The 60 v-max did the trick this time. We had to look really hard to find any kind of hole on this one.

Here is looking towards where I shot him. David is standing next to the coyote.

hwystand2.jpg

We had to look really hard to find any kind of hole in this one. No exit on the 60 v-max and I hit him a little back because he was turing to leave. This one was an old male, with a some mange and some serious stank!

hwystandcoy11-08.jpg

(to be con't)

HOMnominatedbanner.jpg

Last edited:
The 12th stand was another zero, but on the 13 stand just as we were setting out the caller, at least 4 coyotes started to howl back and forth to each other.

We took positions on a pond dam and started the distress, but the light was fading fast. They would yip a little and were close, but dark caught us without seeing anthing. When we got back to the truck, they started up again CLOSE, and David said, "That really hacks me off!"

So we pulled out the Light Force and moved back up to the pond dam. David set out the call and did some female bark howls and we got an answer or two, but nothing showed after almost 15 minutes. Then just as we were about to forget it, David shined one at the base of the dam behind us. They were circling down wind and were right where he had set up the caller during the daylight. He was about a 100 yards and I was trying to get steady on my sticks while on one knee. Not worth a durn, I can tell you that. He went below the dam, and I figured he was gone, and then there he was again. I let it rip, and down he went.

David switched to the coyote death cry, and another came out, but I was having the same problem of trying to get steady on one knee with the shooting sticks. The second one stopped to sniff the downed coyote and was facing me. I went for a frontal shot, but missed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

We went to collect the one we did get.

tankyote11-08.jpg

As you can see, I wasn't too steady, and hit him high. Note to self: take stoll or chair next time.

By now, our lunch had wore off, and we decide we better head into down to find something before it was all closed.

13 stands, 8 called and 3 shot.

After supper, we headed to a wheat field that David had all planned out. There was a thick area across the road from the wheat field, but to get down wind of the call, they would have to come out into the open wheat field. there was another big dirt pile similar to the one used earlier, and I took my stool this time to get a steadier rest.

After about 3 minutes of jackrabbit distress, David picked up eyes across the road with the coyote working from right to left about 200 yards out. He wanted down wind of that call, and he worked back the way he came and disappeared.

We heard some howling in the distance, but nothing. Then, he popped out into the wheat field about 200 yards away after he had crossed the road, and we was starting to cirle that call. He would slip around, and then sit down. Slip and sit. He was getting closer, and I was trying to get steady. I told David to lip sqeak to stop him, but when he lip squeaked, he really started coming harder. David kept squeaking, and he kept coming. I told David to stop, and when he did, the coyote stopped. I got steady, and DRT! Yep, the stool helped.

David ranged it, and it was 115 yards. This was another males, and looked like he had swallowed a watermelon. Ever see those lap dog/house dogs that are round as a barrel? That was him.

nitemoundyote11-08.jpg

After David had ran the light for first two night stands, it was my turn to run the light. Remember that jinxed .17? Well, that sucker had been in the truck the last 2 stands that had dead coyotes.

David pulled it out, and stands 15-18 where BLANK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

It was getting late, and we heade back to the ranch house, and in bed by 1 am.

This morning we got up and tried to figure out how to hit some spots not already called on the 4000 acres we had been hunting. That first spot of the day before just looked to good, and we headed back there to try it again.

As David was sitting out the call, we heard some coyotes crank up, and one sounded like he might be close enough to call. After 15 minutes, though, we had seen nothing but a couple of deer.

The second stand of the morning (#20 for the trip) was in little spot we hadn't been in yet, and David was watching the call, while I watched the down wind side.

At about the 3 minute mark of woodpecker distress, I turned to look David's way, and I saw him swing that danged 'ol .17 on h is shooting sticks. The sun was getting up and then I saw the coyote. The sun hitting him make him look as white as could be.

I thought, OK, some blood on the .17 and the jinx will be OVER! The coyote stopped broadside looking toward the call, about 60 yards from David. He shot, and the coyote looked kind of puzzled, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif and then turned to leave. He stopped, for a little look back, and then trotted off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

5 minutes later, we head back for the truck. On the way back, I asked David if he fished. He said, "no". I said, "oh well, I thought at least you could use that .17 for a boat paddle." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the light trigger, no the uneven shooting sticks, or was it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The next stand had a doe and fawn almost walk over use trying to investigate the woodpecker distress, but no coyotes.

On the next stand (#22 for the trip) we headed back to the big dirt pile where we had called the 3 yesterday to try it again. We didn't call any coyootes, but we saw a nice buck that was probably in the 140s.

Stands 23-25 were dry, and we had to call it quits, and make the 4.5 hours back to David's, and then me 3 more to mine.

So, one and half days calling and part of a night produced 25 stands, and 10 coyotes called. That does not include the ones we heard or saw driving.

Not far out of town on the way home, I saw another coyote just off the road on the edge of a cotton field. There will be more for next time.

I've ribbed David pretty hard over the jinxed .17, but there is nobody nicer or better to hunt with. David and I have gotten to hunt together a good bit since we first met in Globe 2 years ago, and thoughly enjoy hunting with him.

This was the first time I have gotten to hunt that part of Texas and he taught me few things he has learned from hunting that country. He had the set up pegged, more times than not.

David- thanks for a great hunt and I look forward to the next one.

Last edited:
Sean, it was a fun hunt and am already looking forward to the next time. I figured you would wait til you had some sleep before you posted the story. The pictures turned out good and as usual the story is good reading.I will break the 17 Rem jinx or educate all the coyotes in Texas trying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sounds like a good trip to me, congrats on what you took. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That one dog does look fat... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One heck of a good read with pics to go along. congrats on a good hunt with maybe just a little jink to go along. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
That one dog does look fat

He looked even fatter in person. I've never seen one that looked that round. He literally looked like one of those overweight house dogs that have been fixed. It was noticeable even when looking at him through the scope at night. Kinda weird.

Looks like your quite the dog hog eh. Looks like a fun and sucessful hunt.
I know how to fix jinxed .17's. Get rid of em.

Ya'll will think I am stubborn(yep) but the jinx is has to be broken.While toten the 17 in the past few hunts I have called up that I can remember 19 coyotes including two black ones and I have only gotten one shot and I mmmmissed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif My partners have cleaned up on the ones called though so they kinda like the Jinxed 17. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

All I can say is that 17 must be REALLY jinxed because the couple of times I hunted with Sean he was really slow on the trigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
All I can say is that 17 must be REALLY jinxed because the couple of times I hunted with Sean he was really slow on the trigger

You mistook my generosity and courtesy as being slow on the trigger. I knew you never get to shoot any coyotes in Nevada. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Great write up! I think you've set the bar for the rest of us.

Congrats on the coyotes you did get, the ones you didn't... you now know where they live!!

I wish AZ would allow night hunting, I'd be hunting 24/7.

Great story Sean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif, David shared all the stories with me aswell, Sounds like u guys had a good hunt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I missed another hunt with u guys again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. As far as the jinxed 17, I to have had bad luck with it, i mmmmissed a coyote with it aswell. David may never shoot another coyote again, says he's only going to pack the 17 untill he breaks the spell.
We can just call him retired. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Great read Sean, wish i could have made it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sean, slow on the trigger? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Not the times I've hunted with him. Maybe I'll see some of that "kindness and generosity" the next time I hunt with him? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Great re-cap, congrats on the sucessful trip!

Back