Never Say Never

DoubleUp

I've often said coyotes never carry their tails above their backs like some dogs do. Now, I've learned to never say never, but rather say usually or rarely where coyotes are concerned. This big male with a long tail was hunting in a wheat field (short wheat) as he was working his way in to my calling. My scope, usb cable, and external battery pack were having a connection issue which resulted in the scope turning off several times. That was pretty frustrating in itself and at the shot it turned off again, so I knew I wouldn't have the kill shot because each time the Super Yoter cuts off without stopping the video first, the file is corrupted. Many thanks to Kirsch for repairing the video for me, but unfortunately, I didn't get two other scenes that I really also wanted to share. First was the coyote skydiving on a mole in the field like red fox do on mice under the snow, and the second was the coyote throwing the mole into the air playing with it and catching it again after it hit the ground. I didn't get either of those clips. The coyote died DRT at 161 yds. with the mole still in his mouth. Since the scope went black at the shot, I didn't see it, but heard the "whap" of the bullet hitting him and when I got back on my Phenom, I didn't see him running anywhere in the field. It took me several minutes to locate him in the short wheat. Still, it was a good stand even without getting the kill shot and those other scenes on video.

Back