Mini Slump is Over

alf

Been struggling the last couple weeks with about 20 sets of no shows.

Due to zero action, I decided to try to break in my revamped 700 in 22-204

42 degrees last night with a partial cloud cover to block the 7/8ths moon, so went to the farm were I doubled a couple months ago.

Started out out with a few howls to no effect, so went into the bunny stuff.

Took about a half hour for the gang to appear, & instantly regretted not having the AR.

Ultimately, it probably wouldn't have made a difference, as #3 wasn't hanging around.

Shot the female 1st at 85 yards, the male at 185 yards.

Gun is a S/S 700, 18" Brux 8" twist, with my Form 1 can, in a Manners EH-1, shooting pointed Berger 80 grain VLD's at 2930.

Thermal is an iRay Rico G LRF 640.

1708721564105.jpeg

What’s the deal with the 22-204? Is it the sweet spot for easy accuracy or something?
It's simply the 204 necked up to 22 caliber.

Equal to or slightly more capacity than 223 Ackley with no fireforming.

Neck up and go.

No custom dies needed.

For comparison:

221 Fireball - 222 Rem - 223 Rem - 223 AI - 222 Rem Mag - 22-204 - 22-204 w/80 VLD - 22 Dasher - 22x47 Lapua

1708726643901.jpeg

Good Lawd, how big are those fields?? Great shooting too!
Thanks....I'm sitting basically in the middle of a huge crop ground divided by a field road where I can hide my truck & walk a couple hundred yards.

Here's a daytime pic facing SE. I generally sit facing south, expecting them to come from the big chuck of woods over the hill, which these did. Also big woods to the east too. I like to hunt it with a West or Northwest wind, trying to keep my scent on this side of the big ditch, which is mostly dry except in a wet year. The field road makes a 90 degree turn and goes across the ditch, & I setup by a small brush pile to break my outline.

Wind that night was out of the NW, call was across the ditch about 90 yards away. Textbook setup where my scent was not an issue, but they came quartering in from downwind towards the call. Nice to win one once in a while.

7b6Yedm.jpg

I guess I do things backwards cause I would have shot the farthest first. Congrats on the double.
It's always a crap shoot on which to take first.

I didn't want the front one to get in the ditch out of sight, which luckily was the female, and was in heat.

The 2nd was the male that stopped when the kiying started, thinking his love interest was in trouble.

The other one must have been the third wheel, and got out of Dodge when the shooting started.

I guess I do things backwards cause I would have shot the farthest first. Congrats on the double.
I have shot the back one first & killed two, shot he back one first killed one, shot the back one first, killed none. As Alf said it is a crap shoot. They do what they do.

Back