Is anyone still making a 17-223 barrel?

OKRattler

For an AR that is. I'm thinking about investing in one. I don't have a .17 centerfire. Wouldn't hurt to add one to my collection. Have a whole box of .223 brass I can resize and make 17-223 out of. I just wondered if any of y'all could suggest a barrel I could put on a cheap AR I hardly ever shoot. Don't guess there's any sense in having a perfectly good rifle sitting around not putting holes in fur.

I noticed the other day the KAK makes a 17-556 barrel which from their description sounds like a 17-223 improved of some sort. I'm not sure of the dimensions but they sell dies also and they're in stock. Tempting.

I noticed the other day the KAK makes a 17-556 barrel which from their description sounds like a 17-223 improved of some sort. I'm not sure of the dimensions but they sell dies also and they're in stock. Tempting.
I saw that. I don't guess I understand the difference in it and a .17-223. Wouldn't a .17-223 case be pretty much the same thing or what am I missing? That has me confused.

They don't really say what the difference is, but they are clear that it's not the same. My guess they sharpened the shoulder or moved it, and/or took some taper out of the case.
I had a bhw 17/223, it lasted about 1500 rounds until they started keyholing. Too small to borescope and I worked pretty hard at cleaning it but I can only assume the throat was toast. But man o man it was a fun little laser while it lasted. If that KAK was a straight 17/223 so I didn't have to buy the dies, I'd probably spring for one.
I saw that. I don't guess I understand the difference in it and a .17-223. Wouldn't a .17-223 case be pretty much the same thing or what am I missing? That has me confused.

The .17-5.56 KAK allows you to load with more powder (higher pressure cartridge), which equals more speed! The extra boost is nice when shooting predators and varmints.

Back