Interesting gun cleaning video/ carbon ring buildup from suppressor

Erie660

Does anyone clean their guns like this? How long does the carbon ring buildup take that he talks about in his video? I have about 60 rds thru my suppressor. Is this something to worry about?

I've shot Benchrest for over 35 years, and I've never seen anyone clean a gun like that, suppressor or not.

Carbon rings are a real thing, but not just solely relegated to suppressor use.

I laugh at guys that look like they're sawing wood with their cleaning rods. Barrel manufacturers love them.....

You are supposed to clean guns?

All joking aside- I’m curious about the carbon ring they talk about.

Last edited:
The way that guy whip saws and bends that cleaning rod he better start ordering barrel blanks by the dozen. That's the worst example of cleaning technique I've ever seen. The carbon ring is real, and need to be attended to, but not the way he does it. That's simply asking for trouble. I take a nylon brush and wrap a patch around it with some CLR and insert it into the neck of the chamber. Let it set for about 10 minutes, while I have copper solvent in the barrel, and then take a patch on the same brush with a bit of Iosso paste and turn it by hand in the neck. Any carbon ring comes out without all that BS that he did.

He must not like any constructive criticism as the comments are turned off on his video. LOL

Different strokes for different folks quite literally.

I suppose if I was teaching classes with multiple rifles, I would also have developed a faster cleaning routine. I didn't see anything that would damage a bore, it's common to have a stock that requires the slight flex in the cleaning rod. He probably buys the bore brushes in 50 packs. Suppressed, high volume fire will carbon up the chamber and throat area and will require attention. I also prefer to soak that area, followed by a correct chamber brush. I finish with the muzzle clean, but do apply an anti-seize to the direct threads setups.

Didn't watch the video.

But agree with the others, the carbon ring is real - suppressed or not. The more over bore the cartridge, the more of an issue it becomes. Moderate chamberings, it has never been an issue for me. Never detected any carbon ring in my .221 Fireball, lol!

You can feel it, even when it's just starting, on a tight dry patch after a good cleaning. If there is a little catch, or feels like a slight tight spot right at the end of the throat, it could be the start of a carbon ring.

I deal with it similar to the others who have already posted. Good regular cleaning, then work some JB in the throat area is how I've always done it.

Most of what I shoot is pretty dange over bore. I like fast and flat and barrel life, meh... If you catch it and deal with it early, it never becomes an issue at all. So I check that tight dry patch every couple of cleanings and if I feel what might be even the start of carbon ring, I break out the JB.

- DAA

As others have already mentioned, a carbon ring is a real thing, and, it can form MUCH faster than a person may think. As Dave mentioned, it tends to be more of an issue with over bore cartridges but it's not exclusive to them. A carbon ring is often associated with brass that has been trimmed a bit to much for the chamber it's being fired in.

I've only ever had one rifle that developed a carbon ring and it was an over bore cartridge, 22-243 Improved, that had the brass trimmed a little to short. The carbon ring formed within 20 rounds on a new barrel and took some scrubbing with KG1 carbon remover to get it out. Probably could have sped the process up if I would have used an abrasive like JB but using that on a brand new barrel is a hard one for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B23A carbon ring is often associated with brass that has been trimmed a bit to much for the chamber it's being fired in.

I hear of this "trimming brass" often. It's not something I do though
laugh.gif

Seriously, unless absolutely necessary as in forming wildcats from parent cases that need to be shortened, I don't trim brass. Sometimes I'll trim after the first firing to a common length. But usually not, brass generally shortens slightly with fireforming. And I'll throw away a few shorties out of a batch of new, before I'll trim the rest to match.

But once it becomes "working brass", I never trim it, ever.

I don't often FL size, either, though... Some brass for some rifles, also, never.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: B23 Probably could have sped the process up if I would have used an abrasive like JB but using that on a brand new barrel is a hard one for me.

Don't be scared.......
cool.gif

I clean everything I own, every time, with JB, and have yet to trash a barrel.

Best example I have is the last competition barrel in 6 Dasher I retired, was at 2650 rounds, as it would only hold 1/2 MOA at 600 yards. Nice, but not competitive in BR.

Also, that barrel had never seen a brass brush either. Bore Tech Eliminator on a nylon brush, followed by JB, finished up with a couple drops of Kroil on a clean patch.

Little stuff to overbore gets the same treatment.

And I have a Hawkeye borescope.......

Funny, I posted this video on another site to get other's reactions to this "technique".

It ran a couple days, then the forum boss deleted it last night.

His reason:

Your thread "Critique This Cleaning Video" was deleted.

Reason: What he is doing is not advisable; I don’t want novices to copy these methods.

Back