I won a diamond back ar

What type of components do you have? What bullet are you hoping to get shooting?

If you are looking for a "sure thing" Try out Sierra's #1390

You will find acceptable accuracy with about any powder combo that is relevant to the cartridge.

I have many dollars worth of reloading supplies but my 223 dies are small base. can you neck size for an auto as long as you use it in the same rifle.

No, the gas guns typically start to eject rounds "early" so brass stretches more. Also there isn't the handle mechanical advantage of a bolt to close/chamber a round that is long( no headspace or bolt face clearance). I like 0.003-0.004 bolt face(headspace) clearance in the winter, so all rounds will go into battery without forward assist. Full length size all AR rounds, I check brass and finished rounds with an ammo checker. Accuracy varies, due to shooter ability/technique and quality of the barrel and trigger as well as the ammo used.

Last edited:
I use small base dies for brass that has a lot of firings on it, was range pick up, and/or is just used for blaster ammo.

If that is all you have, no problem.

Along time ago I was told to use sb dies for any autoloader I also have an H bar colt bought in early 80s and a carbine about the same time but they both have handles. Ibougrt them when most people didnt know what they were. I never really worked up any loads for them because i;m mostly a savage bolt guy, the carbine is unfired.

Back