How to set up a scope - PROPERLY

Hidalgo

More for the newcomers, but also valuable to us veteran shooters.

I have posted this several times in several other places, and the end result is ALWAYS the same ........ "Wow. I was doing it all wrong". And I have experimented with other ways of setting up and adjusting a scope and found that they do NOT work properly. Most of us have always done our adjustments improperly or backwards (especially when dialing in distance adjustments)! And if you are looking for awesome groups at the range, or making great shots at game, this will help you out.

I also hope I don't step on anyone's toes with this, and I want to also give credit to the author (unnamed for several reasons) because this isn't mine. I will forever be grateful to this man for going to the trouble of writing this. It is a guideline for me every time I touch a scope. And his credentials are solid. This is the field in which he makes a living. And I will warn everyone .... this is a bit long to read and might get a bit complicated for some folks. But the end result is that this is how you should set up your scope if you want it to function properly.

So here you go:

HOW TO SET UP A SCOPE!

This is the only proper way to do it...

First, screw the eyepiece out (CCW) all the way, until it stops.
If you wear glasses, put them on.
Hold the scope up and look OVER the scope at the sky, and relax your eyes. Then move the scope in front of your eye.
The reticle should look fuzzy
Turn the eyepiece in 1/2 turn, and do the same thing again. You will have to do for a while before the reticle starts to look better. When you start getting close, then turn the eyepiece 1/4 turn each time.
Do this until the reticle is fully sharp and fully BLACK immediately when you look through the scope.
Than back off one turn and do it again to make sure you are in the same place.
Then LOCK the ring on the eyepiece, and leave it alone!

Second.

Set the scope down on something sold, where it can see something at a long distance... half a mile of longer is good.
It can be on the rifle, and rested in sand bags at the range... but pick something at least 1000 yds away... even further if possible.
If the scope has an "AO" Adjustable objective, then set it for infinity, and look at the distant object, and move your head from one side to the other, or up and down if you prefer.
If the reticle seems to move, there is parallax.
Change the distance setting and try again... if you are very careful, you can move your eye, and adjust the distance at the same time, seeing which direction gets better.
With front objective adjustments, you can turn them either way without worry... BUT with side adjustment scopes, like the MK4-M3, the M3-LR, or the other LR family of scopes, the adjustment must ALWAYS be made from the infinity end of the dial. Turn the adjustment all the way until it stops (past infinity), and then start turning it in a little at a time, until there is no parallax. If you "overshoot" the proper setting, you can't just turn back a little, you must go back to stop at the end of the dial, and start over again.
While "AO"s dials are locked in place, and if the indicated distance doesn't match the real distance, there's nothing you can do about it... the side focus dials are not locked in place.
Once you have found the setting for infinity on the side focus models, then (CAREFULLY) loosen the screws, and set the dial so that little sideways infinity symbol is lined up with the hash mark, so it is calibrated. You can also make little marks or put on a paper tape for other ranges instead of using the round dots that don't match any range.
Now you can set it to infinity, but remember that you MUST turn the dial all the way past infinity to the stop, EVERY TIME before going from a close range to a longer range.
If you are set for 500 yds, you can go directly to 100 yds, but if you are set for 100 and want to set it to 500, you MUST go all the way back to the stop, and then go to 500
This is because there is a fair amount of backlash (aka SLOP) in this wheel linkage to the focusing cell, so you can set it only from one direction to make sure the slop is always on one side. The other problem with it is, even if you decided that you wanted to calibrate from the other end... the recoil will push the cell back. SO you must ALWAYS set these dials from the infinity end of their scales.
To make it easy to not have to remember... I always start from the end stop, when I change range, no matter which direction I'm going in... it adds about 0.023 seconds!
---
Now... you've got a friend that says to set up a scope a different way???... he don't know doodly-squat about scopes.
The guy at the range said to do it a different way... he don't know either.
You know yet another guy who says to use your eyepiece to correct parallax... he doesn't know about optics either.
You got a friend that shoots benchrest and says something different... well ... enough said already.

Last edited:
I disagree with his "setting the eyepiece & lock it down forever" recommendation.

People's eyesight changes, and some days, you still need to tweak the clarity of the reticle due to conditions, temps, or whatever.

Conditions or temperatures cause a change in eyesight? Never heard of that one. Medical related (aging, etc) I understand, as well as a change in eyewear prescription.

I do agree though that "forever" might be a bad choice of words. I think his point was not to go monkeying around with it trying to correct parallax.

Back