Heat signature from a cold can on my thermal rig

baitpile

Screwed a can on my 20" 22-250 thermal rig.stepping outside with the rifle at room Temps, that can lights up in the bottom of my image like crazy. I had a cover on the can, so I took that off to see if that helped. It did a little bit. I hunt regularly with a room temp rifle running a bait pile, and have never seen any glow from just the barrel. Put the can on and crap, the bottom 1/3 of my image is washed out. Anyway, wasn't expecting that. Has anyone else seen this? If so, how do you mitigate it? I'm thinking, when out calling, the can will acclimate to the cold and should work, but just curious as a new can owner.
Thanks all.

I have only seen that with a hot can, shouldn't see it if can is same a air temp(whether inside or out). What color was the thermal set to? When hunting my can is outside the window/blind opening or air temp from carrying to a call setup. Here in Mn we are in the firearm restricted time(5 days before firearms deer thru 2 days after close). I can hunt with a rimfire cartridge, thought about putting the thermal on my 22 mag and hang out in the deer blind for a hour or 2 at night.

Got it sorted folks. It's all about base magnification. My base mag is 2x. 1 click of zoom to 4x and the heat signature is gone. I screwed the can onto a rifle with 3x base mag and couldn't see the can. My 2x base mag is zoomed out enough to just catch that can. Not a big deal, once everything is cold, I think my cold can cover will mitigate it after 1 or2 shots. Just learning stuff...

Back