Diaphragm calls… Recommendations

hunt0168

I’m going to give using diaphragm calls a try for coyote vocalizations. I’ve never used or even tried them for coyotes but have used them for turkey hunting for 30 years or more. I’m hoping to pick up the technique fairly quickly for howls, barks, whines etc. Time will tell I guess?

What I would like to know is, does there seem to be a big differences in sound and performance from the different companies that make them? What about consistency when you find one you like and order 1 or 2 more? I know from years of turkey hunting that I have my favorites, but honestly I could throw just about any maker’s call in my mouth and call in a bird. I’m certainly not putting turkeys in the same league as coyotes. Not even close! Just stating a point.

To get started I ordered a couple from PM member LONEHOWL, and have a multi pack of Foxpro calls on the way also. I know MFK is a big one. I’ve heard of Phelps. I saw that Reese Outdoors sells a pack when I recently bought my chest pack from them. Any recommendations on any of these for a rookie diaphragm caller is appreciated. I understand that most people tend to find a brand and run with it, but is there really a big difference?

Haven’t used them for yotes. Let us know when you try em out.
Judging by the lack of response to my question it appears nobody uses or has used them? Lol…

I was just trying to narrow things down a bit based on other folks findings without spending a ton of cash trying every maker’s calls if there isn’t much difference between them all? I’ll figure it out.

I have tried several brands and settled on mfk. Blackout is my go to after trying several of theirs also. I use it a-lot and will wear at least 1 sometimes 2 out every year.

I have tried several brands and settled on mfk. Blackout is my go to after trying several of theirs also. I use it a-lot and will wear at least 1 sometimes 2 out every year.
Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. It seems like I’ve heard more mentions of the MFK calls than any others.

I’m currently trying shake a crazy chest cold that doesn’t want to go away. As soon as I can try the ones I have without coughing my damn head off I’ll see how things go.

I’ve used MFK for a couple years and they work great! Howling MOFO and Blackout Howler are my go to calls. Numerous times I’ve called in coyotes with a simple two long howl call right when I start my set.

Back