CZ 527 American .17 Hornet ??

hickerx2

Im just wondering if these are still desirable rifles? I bought it a few yrs ago as a dedicated fox rifle but with the fur market disappearing, Ive been running a .223 for everything. Anyway, it's in brand new condition with less than 50 rounds through it. I have a Zeiss 3-9 Conquest on it and the original box and paperwork/target. I've never sold a complete rifle online so I'm just wondering what everybody thinks it might be worth or if I could even sell it! Thanks for any info any of y'all may have for me.

hicker

The Varmint models are doing insane prices on Gunbroker, I’ve seen 2 go in the last few months for over $2k….the Americans are doing $1200-1500….I personally just bought a new in box 22Hornet for $1350, I know I def over paid, but I wanted it for years and finally had the funds to do so. Also bought a 221 Fireball and paid 1150 for it….I def paid too much for both, but they aren’t making any more, and collector value will eventually go up…..I wouldn’t mind a 17 Hornet in my collection. I have a New in box 223 Varmint model for trade

Last edited:
Although I'm not averse to trading, I just don't have any interest in another 223. Thanks alot though. In doing my own research, I'm a bit surprised what these things are going for. I'm leaning toward asking $1000 with the Zeiss scope. I'm just trying to find a box to ship it in before I actually offer it for sale.

For a box, a Flambeau hard case from Walmart works well, then wrap with cardboard. I personally would split them up. Both are quite desirable and it takes the right buyer to want that exact combination. When I buy, I never think in terms of the combination but of the rifle.

I remember grumbling when I had to give $600 for my Varmint 527 in .17 Hornet. That, along with my .221 Furball 527, became my favorite ground squirrel guns. Having to pick one of the two it sure would be the Hornet but like the .221 for the occasional badger that pops up from time to time.

I got brass when it was cheap and plentiful (seems like eons ago now) so I should be set for the rest of my shooting days. It is on its second barrel now and has a much tighter chamber than the factory one. Brass life has at least tripled so I have a feeling that this one will be with me in the field for many years to come. As in forever.

Don't sell it unless you are hard up for money. The combination you have should be superb for groundhogs to fox and close range coyotes. I love my 17HH, also a CZ

Last edited:
Don't sell it unless you are hard up for money. The combination you have should be superb for groundhogs to fox and close range coyotes. I love my 17HH, also a CZ

I didn't really need the money but I like the idea that somebody would use it and really wanted one. I just didn't shoot it and probably never would. I've always been a tad averse to .17 anything so it has changed stables now.

Makes sense and good luck with the sale, which should be quick. They are great little rifles. As for price I wouldn't be surprised if you reaped $1400- $1500 for the combo easily maybe more. Those Zeiss 3x9's are great too. Nice rig you set up.

Makes sense and good luck with the sale, which should be quick. They are great little rifles. As for price I wouldn't be surprised if you reaped $1400- $1500 for the combo easily maybe more. Those Zeiss 3x9's are great too. Nice rig you set up.

I let it go for substantially less than that. I still made a few bucks and I was able to hook a guy up with an essentially brand new rifle for a very good price.

The Varmint models are doing insane prices on Gunbroker, I’ve seen 2 go in the last few months for over $2k….the Americans are doing $1200-1500….I personally just bought a new in box 22Hornet for $1350, I know I def over paid, but I wanted it for years and finally had the funds to do so. Also bought a 221 Fireball and paid 1150 for it….I def paid too much for both, but they aren’t making any more, and collector value will eventually go up…..I wouldn’t mind a 17 Hornet in my collection. I have a New in box 223 Varmint model for trade
You stole the 221 Fireball especially if it has decently figured walnut .... Here locally hey are selling for $1800-2200.

You stole the 221 Fireball especially if it has decently figured walnut .... Here locally hey are selling for $1800-2200.
I def got a great deal on the Furball…I have seen a few others since be sold in the $1800+ range…I also have a new in box 223 Varmint, I found that locally and paid $600 for it. It doesn’t have the value of the rarer calibers but being NIB, it will eventually. Ideally I would like to collect all of the calibers of 527. CZ made a huge mistake discontinuing them and going to the 600, which is trash in comparison.

I def got a great deal on the Furball…I have seen a few others since be sold in the $1800+ range…I also have a new in box 223 Varmint, I found that locally and paid $600 for it. It doesn’t have the value of the rarer calibers but being NIB, it will eventually. Ideally I would like to collect all of the calibers of 527. CZ made a huge mistake discontinuing them and going to the 600, which is trash in comparison.
Yeah the 600 has been a total failure.... Poor accuracy, plastic parts( mag release, and bolt shroud). And the fact that there is no way to retro fit for smaller calibers like 22 hornet, and 17 Hornet. They obviously lost sight of their target audience..... And if sales are an indicator, it has cost them dearly. As for collecting the various calibers, my semi local Amish gun shop seems to have a revolving cycle of older 527s. If you message me with the calibers you are looking for I can keep an eye out. They do ship, so it might be a bit lighter on the wallet than GunBroker.

Im just wondering if these are still desirable rifles? I bought it a few yrs ago as a dedicated fox rifle but with the fur market disappearing, Ive been running a .223 for everything. Anyway, it's in brand new condition with less than 50 rounds through it. I have a Zeiss 3-9 Conquest on it and the original box and paperwork/target. I've never sold a complete rifle online so I'm just wondering what everybody thinks it might be worth or if I could even sell it! Thanks for any info any of y'all may have for me.

hicker
I would be interested in buying, 24 inch barrel, give me a call Robert 406-321-0912

Back