Choosing a thermal clip on

Neanderthal

New guy here. Currently running an AR-10 .308 with Accufire 2.5x20x50 / 34mm tube.
I've researched myself to death on thermals. I know a lot of guys prefer the dedicated thermal scopes but in the name of versatility and maximum capability, I want to run a thermal clip on instead of a dedicated thermal scope.
Ideally, I would like a clip on that can be used in front of my scope as well as on a bridge with a PVS-14.
Recording ability is preferred.
Also looking for the best image quality I can get in this optic.
Hoping to stay around $6K but I'd go to $8K if it's a must.
Anyone got any Input on this?

I know nothing about thermals. But Ive heard the Iray RH25 is a good clip on
In all honesty, I'd be very happy to hear that the RH25 would work with a 50mm objective lens. It just has such a small ocular lens. It makes me a little concerned that the field of view on low power may show more than just the image produced by the thermal.

In all honesty, I'd be very happy to hear that the RH25 would work with a 50mm objective lens. It just has such a small ocular lens. It makes me a little concerned that the field of view on low power may show more than just the image produced by the thermal.
I wouldn’t worry about that. For most low end clip ons 2-3 power is max you want for minimum magnification. I used a 2.5-10x42. Seeing the entire screen is more of an issue then seeing to much.

New guy here. Currently running an AR-10 .308 with Accufire 2.5x20x50 / 34mm tube.
I've researched myself to death on thermals. I know a lot of guys prefer the dedicated thermal scopes but in the name of versatility and maximum capability, I want to run a thermal clip on instead of a dedicated thermal scope.
Ideally, I would like a clip on that can be used in front of my scope as well as on a bridge with a PVS-14.
Recording ability is preferred.
Also looking for the best image quality I can get in this optic.
Hoping to stay around $6K but I'd go to $8K if it's a must.
Anyone got any Input on this?
I send you a PM.

I've read Pulsar is supposed to make a pretty good clip on thermal. Any of your folks that test these things for places have any experience with the Pulsar Krypton 2 XG50??

Oops, sorry I'm late ... thermal clipons ... oh boy ... let me take a deep breath and dive in :)
And even including the idea of head mounted spotter than can also be used as a TWS or clipon ... :)
==

When I started out in night ops shooting/hunting/critter control, 11 years ago, I thought I wanted a thermal clipon !! And my very first thermal was an Armasight Apollo42 336 (cost about $5k IIRC in April 14) and it worked, barely as a clipon. I used it as a handheld spotter a lot more.

52878439429_641a3c5e8f_k.jpg

Wow, such de ja vu, there's the 1st apollo on 22LR from back in April '14 for barnyard defense, in front of a VO 1-6x (rzr g2) ...

But then I had a "dream" of a thermal on my head that I could spot with hands free while moving and a year later, traded the apollo42 in on a zeus75-640 and a q-14 20mm 640.
The Zeus was great, the Q14 less so. I was able to head mount it. But not side by side with a 14 like I'd hoped.

52858550379_543db8bd34_k.jpg

Actually I was just an idiot - it could've been done, but I didn't know how at the time, I do now. So I mostly used it on the 22LR as barnyard defense.

52858377061_62145441ae_k.jpg
It was fantastic in that role as it had a tight click value, 1/4 MOA I think ... I was head shootin' mice with it anyway. Inside 100yds it was deadly on coons, opossum, rats and later mice after the rats moved on.

==
Still pursuing my dream ... I next tried an old ATN gen1 ODIN ... had a FLIR core just like the Armasights.

52858629059_0c398a7de3_k.jpg
and whah lah the ODIN did work great side by side with 14 ... whereas on my other helmet I had to swap between a 14 and the q-14.

==
So with the ODIN (and 14) on head I could roll on my 4-wheeler and see critters from 100s of yards away ... and even PID yotes sometimes. And once left the 4-wheeler running as sound cover, dismounted and snuck up within 100yds and got a yote that was playing with a field mouse and ignoring the equipment sound in the distance.

==
Fast forwarding to 2016-2017 ... I entered the world of the OASYS cored units ... tried a skeet320, and IR-Patrol, and SNIPE and a BAE UTC-x. Except for the SNIPE, those units were "other worldly" compared to the either FLIR tau2/quark cored units. The olde FLIR units had a distinctly "2D" image, looking like night versions of road runner cartoons. They got the job done, but the OASYS cores had a true 3D look showing all sorts of shading in the critters and vegetation.

Here's a skeet320 on left side on helmet with a 14 on right and a coti to enable snap shots with the laser. In the woods, the quick shots with the laser was a game changer. And the skeet320 could PID critters out hundreds of yards. TBH unless you looked real close, you couldn't tell the difference between the skeet 320 and the patrol 640.

52899520126_c7d71c7764_k.jpg

skeet 320

50646266183_5d08e252d4_k.jpg

==
Patrol 640

50647087932_2bff7f6014_k.jpg

==
Both of those however sucked pretty bad as clipons, the skeet wasn't repeatable to remount as you had to essentially recollimate it with each remount. I did shoot some baby mice with it, but once I realized the limitation it went back on my head and stayed there. And with those earlier patrols, collimating it as a clipon was also tough, though it was repeatable and had a decent mount for the weapon, though that mount was heavy and had to be removed to tolerate it on your head.
Both the skeet320 and patrol spent 99.9% of their time with me as head mounted spotters and they were GREAT at that.

I now had great head mounted thermals, but still not really swappable to the weapon as either TWS or clipon.

==
On the left you see the UTC-x long distance thermal clipon and on the right the SNIPE. The SNIPE sucked, I won't say more about it (ask if curious). The UTCx was a whole nother world.

49250846563_162b182e2a_h.jpg

==
Day time, those trees on the ridge are 1800-ish and that's 16x on the day scope.

48910582248_5c7ed0938f_k.jpg

==

I've tried about 60ish thermal total that I can remember (I wrote em down a few weeks ago) ...

And plenty of chinese ones also ... pulsar, steiner, agm, genesis, iray ... and at close distances and low magnification that have some shock and awe to them, but I've also had them broke out of the box (atn) and fail of the first shot (agm) ... and have terrible images (1/2 the pulsars) ... and in general they just haven't come up to the same level of performance and reliability as the military grade stuff like BAE, trijicon, n-vision, LWTS ...

==

That said, some of the new chinese units might finally be breaking out of this mold. I don't have one of the new RH25 v2s yet ... but I am hearing good things about them from several quarters.

As to comparing them to the VoodooS

52917129638_6b92b8e4b9_h.jpg

I'd definitely rather have a voodooS if my life depended on it ... but I could have 3 RH25s for the same price ... Now the VoodooS is fully collimated (has same BAE core I know and love) so any gun I put it on with close matching scope mount (1.5 ish ) its dead on ... like the UTCx and the new M

If you want the best clipon we can (easily) buy that's the M

53521942257_0d304b5d34_k.jpg
its essentially the gen2 utc.

And if you want the best head mountable clipon we can easily buy that's the S ...

==
If you want to go with Chinese, then try the RH25 v2 ... you will have to manually collimate it, but if you get it solidly collimated and use the same center mounts on all the guns you use it on and mount it carefully, then you should be fine for hunting accuracy.

==

THAT SAID.

I think for shooting critters inside 300yds ... a TWS gives you more bang for the buck than a clipon. You get the magnification on the front end of the unit vs with a clipon you are zooming in on the TV screen on the back end of the unit. So dollar for dollar with TWS will beat the thermal clipon inside 300yds for PID inside 500yds with bigger TWS units like Halo.
A clipon is a more complicated unit, due to the demagnification on the back end to make the net magnification 1 ... and due to adding some collimating abilities back there in some units. So a clipon costs more. So if I was primarily buying to hunt/critter control inside 300yds, I'd get a TWS, you can get a 640 TWS brand new for under $3k these days, a good bit less than the RH25 ... and the RH25 is a 1x unit, where as the TWS is a 2x or 3x unit.

==

And one more comment, the VoodDooS is the first unit I've ever touched that is a good helmet mounted scanner AND a good thermal clipon. So after 10 years, I finally got one !!! :D

Not hearing a lot about it, but the Iray Mate looks very good.

It's actually not bad at all, I just did an IG live for a few fellas who were interested in that unit to showcase the capability. I had it attached one of my 3.6X18 MKV's and it's pretty darn good, very close to the UTC XII, but about 1/3 price, smaller footprint and better options for a hunter.

Joe aka @cockrill at SOK is our in house guy with the most clip on experience, hopefully he will chime in soon.
Hopefully so!
Not hearing a lot about it, but the Iray Mate looks very good.
I called IRayUSA and they suggested the IRay Mate MAH 50. According to them, it's designed to work with a 50mm objective lens but it's not going to make any good use on a helmet. Just too heavy. So I may have to buy two units.

I searched clip on's last year and opted for a dedicated thermal with ADM QD mount. I like to hunt coyotes and hunt corn & bean fields where I have longer shots, 150 and over. I opted for the AGM Adder TS50-384 and have been using for a bit over 1 year, scope has performed well, no regrets. This scope has a 4x base mag which suits my style of hunting well. When hunting daytime I just choose another rifle or put my Leupold on with QD mounts that's zeroed for this rifle.

Back