Advice for novice lure maker

CoonAss5150

Made my first beaver lure last night. Nothing fancy. Jus wanted a start. Went wit a pretty routine base recipe I've seen in my research. Castor sacs, oils, veg glycerine, 100 proof vodka, maple syrup, and some nutmeg.

This morning after settling in the Mason all night the was a clear-ish liquid settled on top. Curious what it may be? I think I used a sckosh too much vok so I'm assuming it's vok that settled out? Not willing to take a shot of it to find out, ha! Any knowledge or info is greatly appreciated

Thank you for the input. It definitely looks more watery than oily and the more it sets the more separates in the jar leaving the paste lure. Smells strong so figure I can put paste out and drizzle some on for extra umphf

Gene-O had a Friend that made lure. Can't remember his name for the life of me. He kept trying to get me to cut the anus out of the coyotes we killed.

Maybe Kerry Carver or 220swift can remember his screen name.
Not even sure he's still around.

I dry castor sacs and than run them thru a bender. Mixing in glycerin. Should be root beer colored,thick enough to barely pour. The castor ground up fine like cigarette tobacco. That's my mudpie lure. Will attract canine,bear.

Vodka is not a lure ingredient per se, most guys soak castor sacks in vodka to tincture them.

Simple beaver lure is dried castor fine ground, add just enough glycerin to make it pasty. Then add 10% oil from the oil sack. Poplar oil can be substituted of oil sack if you are after a more food type lure.

Both great input. I took my dried out and frozen castor and oil sacs and cute them up then puree them in the food processor. I then added veg glycerin to the blend along with a Lil nutmeg and maple syrup. Also added 100proof vodka as I thought I read it is added to keep from molding and such but maybe I just blended info I read as I looked up a lot of [beeep].

All in all sounds like I used too much oil sac and don't need vokka.

Back