6 or 22 ARC - Now turned to 6x6.8 SPC Thread

TXCOONDOG

Looking to build something for my grandson and looking at both (PDOG and predators).

Are you getting the advertised velocities in the reloading manuals (which are using 24" barrels) without the pressure signs?

Not sure what length barrel yet, I figure 25 fps plus or minus per inch.

Give me your findings and list barrel length/manufacturer, powder, primers, bullet, caliber, feeding issues, etc. including good/bad and ugly .......the more info the better!

Last edited:
The only down side for me right now concerning the 22 ARC is the lack of brass for reloading and the limited and insane price of the ammo.

Like the 6 ARC, it's going to take about two years for ammo and reloading brass to catch up.

Once brass is available and ammo comes down, if it does, I do plan on getting into the 22 ARC. But for now, no way... too expensive and not enough reward for the cost.

Currently building a 6 ARC strictly for PRS gas gun competition. For this specific task I think the 6 ARC and 224V are the best options but I like the 6 version better.

My barrel is an X-Caliber full bull profile, 22", 1/7tw 5r, headspaced to a RC bolt. I only intend to run 105 Bergers or 108ELDMs in it. Brass is readily available at Starline, just got 500 delivered last week.

If your going to run the light varmint bullets I definitely wouldn't go this route with either of the ARC offerings, I'd go 6x6.8, it will run circles around the comparable caliber with light bullets.

Since it's for your grandson and reloading may not be an option if your were out of the picture one day the factory rounds might be the best option. However if factory components aren't available that doesn't do much good either not to mention cost of these arc rounds.
As Kino stated if reloading is an option and a lower cost high volume varmint dispatching rig is what your after then one of the 6.8 variants is the way I would go. I am not sure how available 6x6.8 dies are at the moment but bushing dies are another option. Don't forget about the 22 Nosler either. The 6x45 would be a real low cost component option as well. Saturn Liberty has a great price on 20" 8 twist barrels. Really the only logical thing to do is put together several;)

Tell me more about the 6x6.8:

I assume 55 NBT and/or 58 V-max bullets?
Preferred powders and velocities?
Barrel twist...10T?

Accuracy ?

What are your die setups?

Thanks for the responses thus far.

Last edited:
Kino will clue you in on the xcaliber reamer version I'm sure. 2 of mine are Ritch's versionand 1 is a bhw. However other than cartridge oal required to hit the lands it's all the same. 31.5 8208 with 58 VMAX was kind of the standard load. If memory serves me that load is just under 3500 in a 22". H322 is faster.
I shoot 70 bt's out of my 22" 10 twist at 3265 with 29.7 AR comp @ 2.290". 30 grains is an absolute full case and will take out primer pockets after a couple firings. Cases last better at 29.7. I always shot Hornady brass but have since acquired other brands but havent tried any of it. When we switched to 243 and put together custom 6 Hagars the 6x6.8s got set aside but not because it wasn't working. One of my buddies still shoots the 70s with the AR comp load and it hammers a coyote. Imo it's the best non hens teeth component AR 15 cartridge out there. Only reason I went beyond it with the Hagar is simply because I gotta continually chase the ultimate setup which does not make coyotes any more dead. Just occupies my brain and lightens my wallet. You will not be disappointed with the 6x6.8. Ive been considering one in a small shank Savage for the kids. Calling in the timber with closer shots the extra noise and recoil of the 243 just is a bit over kill imo. The 6x6.8 is nipping at the heals of the 243 and takes about 25% less powder.

I have Hornady dies but have used the Redding bushing die. Just don't use Federal brass. I think Federal is too hard.
I've had mixed accuracy results with mine but my primary 22" from Ritch shoots under an inch with the 70 bts. They seem to be a bit picky but so am I about consistently being an inch or better at 100. However that isn't cartridge related. I'm sure that's related to the chambering process.
I've heard good results out of Xcaliber.
I would expect to be able to consistently put 5 shots around .75 center to center.
Another smith chambered our 6 Hagars in Xcaliber barrels and they will shoot all kinds of bullet very well.

Last edited:
Might look at the 6 dti as well. Same as the 6x6.8 with the shoulder blown forward and will hold a couple more tenths of powder. DTI builds them on shilen blanks. I have one and it shoots really well with 58s . So good I zeroed it, shot five and stopped there. You can hunt with fire forming loads and the accuracy will be there. Another good round if you want to fireform and they probably have dies available too.

The 243 LBC MPFD has listed in the classifieds would be a cheap way to be shooting 6mm out of an AR too especially if you have 6.5 Grendel brass.
I think to sum it up the shorter case lends itself to shooting longer bullets. I shoot 70 blitz kings out of my 20". Needless to say there are several options and it is kind of splitting hairs. Some of each was they way I chose to go lol.

My personal opinion there isn't enough advantage to a 22 ARC over the 223 to warrent the expense.

The 6mm ARC might be neat rig as there is no factory round in its class, I own a 6x45mm ànd built and retired a 6mm-204 and like the light 6s. I'm thinking seriously about a Howa mini in 6mm ARC as I have more bullets than I'd ever shoot in the 6x45.

So there are a lot of esoteric reloaders on here, which is fine. But to answer the original posters questions, I would go 22 ARC for the kind of hunting you are doing. Initially it will be difficult to get brass, but since the 22 ARC is SAAMI approved, others will jump into the game and make brass. It is only a matter of time you can buy the ammo off the shelf, which is huge when things can happen when you travel with ammo. Also, brass prices will come way down quick. Also, you don't have to mess with custom dies.

In my humble opinion, 6 ARC is great for slightly larger varmints, but for smaller animals, like Coyote and smaller, 22 ARC is faster and flatter. The other thing to think about is how much kids (assuming your grandson is younger) love a semi-auto as opposed to a bolt action. While they do shoot more, they enjoy it more, just my personal experience.

I like the 6 for coyotes. No experience with prairie dogs.

You can buy factory loaded 75gr vmax's for the 6 which is what I shoot. That still may be too much for prairie dogs?

Since I've been shooting a 6.8 SPC II for 10 plus years, I have tons of brass, powders, etc. Before ordering a 6x6.8 barrel. I need to locate and secure the dies first,

PS: Are ya'll running a mid-length gas system in the 20" or rifle length?

Since the 62 VLD-VT has been released, kicking around the idea of the 224 Valkyrie. My grandson is 13 and I have another 5 grandkids that are starting to come of the ages where they will want to start shooting, hunting, fishing, etc. too before long.

PS: After some research on the 224 Val, it appears to be better to form brass from the Starline basic brass due to using regular 6.8 brass, the cases end up being short. Is this going to be the case (no pun intended) with the 6x6.8 too?

Last edited:
No it shouldn't need shortened. If it were me I would get a 6.8 SPC redding full length sizer S die and then the appropriate neck bushing needed to get down to 6mm. I'm used a .269 neck bushing in the Grendel S die for the 6mm LBC.

If your going to run the light varmint bullets I definitely wouldn't go this route with either of the ARC offerings, I'd go 6x6.8, it will run circles around the comparable caliber with light bullets.
What do you think of BH barrels or? 10T?

What do you think of BH barrels or? 10T?

Definitely 10tw. I thought BH went out of business but regardless I'd go X-Caliber. The reamer they use is a much more usable chamber than the barrels I have in 6x6.8 made by TO. I messed with quite a few X-Caliber barrels in various calibers and they are outstanding, especially for the price.

Kino will clue you in on the xcaliber reamer version I'm sure. 2 of mine are Ritch's versionand 1 is a bhw. However other than cartridge oal required to hit the lands it's all the same. 31.5 8208 with 58 VMAX was kind of the standard load. If memory serves me that load is just under 3500 in a 22". H322 is faster.
I shoot 70 bt's out of my 22" 10 twist at 3265 with 29.7 AR comp @ 2.290". 30 grains is an absolute full case and will take out primer pockets after a couple firings. Cases last better at 29.7. I always shot Hornady brass but have since acquired other brands but havent tried any of it. When we switched to 243 and put together custom 6 Hagars the 6x6.8s got set aside but not because it wasn't working. One of my buddies still shoots the 70s with the AR comp load and it hammers a coyote. Imo it's the best non hens teeth component AR 15 cartridge out there. Only reason I went beyond it with the Hagar is simply because I gotta continually chase the ultimate setup which does not make coyotes any more dead. Just occupies my brain and lightens my wallet. You will not be disappointed with the 6x6.8. Ive been considering one in a small shank Savage for the kids. Calling in the timber with closer shots the extra noise and recoil of the 243 just is a bit over kill imo. The 6x6.8 is nipping at the heals of the 243 and takes about 25% less powder.

I have Hornady dies but have used the Redding bushing die. Just don't use Federal brass. I think Federal is too hard.
I've had mixed accuracy results with mine but my primary 22" from Ritch shoots under an inch with the 70 bts. They seem to be a bit picky but so am I about consistently being an inch or better at 100. However that isn't cartridge related. I'm sure that's related to the chambering process.
I've heard good results out of Xcaliber.
I would expect to be able to consistently put 5 shots around .75 center to center.
Another smith chambered our 6 Hagars in Xcaliber barrels and they will shoot all kinds of bullet very well.
I just bought a BHW barrel (complete upper w/BCG) package deal with dies from one of the members and he provided some of his 8208 loads, However, he didn't have anything using Varget or H322. Would you happen to know and/or have data for these powders with a 55 Nosler, 58 V-Max or 65 V-Max?

I just bought a BHW barrel (complete upper w/BCG) package deal with dies from one of the members and he provided some of his 8208 loads, However, he didn't have anything using Varget or H322. Would you happen to know and/or have data for these powders with a 55 Nosler, 58 V-Max or 65 V-Max?

Sorry brother, my TO barrels have ZERO freebore, I'm stuck running 70s.

I know when the 6x6.8 first started gaining traction that BHW was in with Ritch, they had a falling out and BHW did use a couple different reamers. Ritch specs out a reamer and farms out the actual work, he doesn't make anything. Tactical Ordinance now makes "his" stuff which is what I have and honestly the chamber sucks ass compared to the Xcaliber chamber.

No way of knowing what yours actually is without measuring. When I started down this ride I started with 8208XBR and I have had zero reason to change. That powder has worked great in several of my buddies 6x6.8 Xcaliber barrels so none of us has strayed. That said, just looking at burn rate charts there are several other powders like 322 and Benchmark that definitely would work. Just be cautious and choose a TEMP STABLE powder to play with. Some guys had had good accuracy with 223CFE but it's one of the worst powders for temp changes (same as Lever Revolution).

Back