1:8 or 1:9 for .223

buddy10mm

Ok,
I know this is probably going to start an endless run of "my twist is better than your twist" comments. But I'm curious: what would you recommend for a coyote barrel - 1:8 or 1:9? And would it matter if it were a 16" or a 20" barrel?

Personally, I like to load the heavier soft point bullets for hunting anything, but either twist rate will handle them... the 1/9 will handle lighter bullets if you want them as well.

The 16" barrel is a little louder according to some, but much easier to maneuver in most cases. Since I wear hearing protection and am a little clumsy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, the shorter barrels work for me..

My results and those that I've read here on the net, and in magazines all say about the same thing, the 8 twists of the same quality just shoot better than a 9, with all weights from 50 to 77 gr. plus you get the added bonus of better terminal performance, the spin aids expansion enough that you can see the difference.
RR

My 1:9 handles bullets up to 75 grain quite well. My 1:8 handles up to 77gr. Both do just fine with everything under 75gr.

Each barrel has it's own most prefered load.

General consensus is that if the majority of the loads you will be using are going to be on the heavy side then go with the 1:8. If you're going to keep it to 69 gr and lighter then the 1:9 should serve you quite well.

Seems like the factory bolt guns that I have been around are 1/9 and the autos being posted are 1/8. So, does it make a difference between the autos and the bolts ??

I really like my 1 in 10 twist a lot.
Very accurate with 40, 45, 50, 55 and 62 grain bullets.

I also like my 1 in 9 twist.
Almost as accurate with the same bullet weights.

I always recommend 1 in 8's for AR's. Some bolt guns are a little different but 8's do not limit you to what can be used. I feel the 8's are better all around twists.

If you said you were using it on deer or antelope, I'd definitely say 8. For yotes, either.......

I'd still probably go 1-8 though.....

I prefer the 8" twist barrels over the 9" twist barrels in my AR's.

I also have a Tikka bolt gun with an 8" twist barrel that shoots all bullet weights from 52 grain on up through the 70 grain Speer Semi-spitzer extremely well...

-BCB

Funny, each rifle has its own personality.

My 24" 1:9" BM really likes the 75g Amaxes and hates light bullets. My 16" 1:7 prefers the light bullets and doesn't do well with 69g or 75g bullets.

Go with the 20" barrel, for the simple fact of how loud the 16" is in comparison. Some people say the difference is little to none but I think the 16" is much louder. You can't swing on things as easy with the 20" but that makes no difference to me. I hunt without ear plugs or hearing protection so the lighter sound is very appealing to me.

"I hunt without ear plugs or hearing protection so the lighter sound is very appealing to me."

It will still cause permanent hearing loss with every shot. Absolutely a proven fact, no way around it. You shoot without hearing protection even a 22LR, you are burning your hearing never to recover it.

If that is what you want, go for it, just realize it is a permanent irreversible loss.

Jack

I now have permanent hearing damage, and very slight constant tinnitus, and it's not a terrible condition but i sure wish i'd have worn hearing protection while hunting. I've found that if i keep ear muffs around my head, it's not really excessive movement to slide them down over my ears for the shot. Once they're on for a minute or so i don't even notice them tight above my ears really. I'll never shoot another round without them, that's for sure.

I like the 65 JLK Low Drag in my 9 twist AR .223 AI. I''m using the old DPMS VLD magazine, and it's a great system for coyotes out to around 500 yds. or so. This bullet @ 100 fps faster than the 75's keeps up with them for energy, a little better for velocity, and wind. I killed a 500, and 430 yd. coyote last season with this combination last year, and it was as effective as any other 22 i've used out to that range.

Quote:
"I hunt without ear plugs or hearing protection so the lighter sound is very appealing to me."

It will still cause permanent hearing loss with every shot. Absolutely a proven fact, no way around it. You shoot without hearing protection even a 22LR, you are burning your hearing never to recover it.

If that is what you want, go for it, just realize it is a permanent irreversible loss.

Jack

Excellent post, Jack...

JMO - BCB

Jack,

Same here. Now, I have to ask my wife and son the over and over, "What did you say?"

We didn't know, I hope the younger crowd listens (no pun intended).

Great response from you.

Back