South Dakota night hunting

d2admin

Administrator
In SD we aren't allowed to use artificial lights of any kind unless you are the land owner. If anyone else is in this situation, is the only answer to this, hunting with snow on the ground and a full moon? Can it be done without snow on the ground and just the full moon? Of course we have a full moon now and I was looking out the window the other night, and it doesn't appear that one could see a coyote coming in unless there was snow on the ground also.

What are your experiences?

Wow. I just read the "NO snow, no moon and no light" thread. I guess one should use a light no matter what. I have never been out there with a full moon and snow. I assumed one could see well enough to distinguish a yote or fox. I guess not.

So, I guess no night hunting in SD then, huh?

The full moon with snow you can tell for sure. I don't know how far away but last night at 20 yds I saw a red walking past me on bare ground. The snow had melted of the top of the mound he was crossing over and even in the bare dirt I had no problem telling it was a red. I still prefer the light any day. I know some states don't allow but I'm sure you can use a flashlight to get around in the dark. Maybe, just maybe?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back