help new reloaders

Also if you change the brand of your brass or primers work up the load from the bottom again, Big difference from Rem to WW cases also the rem primer is not as hot as CCI,WW or Fed.

I started reloading in 1966 when I was 16. Primarely because I could load cheaper that I could buy. I loaded for a .22 Hornet and a K98 Mouser. I never did it for the accuracy potential, only the cost difference. Anyway, the first time I made a mistake, and yes, there have beem more than one but this was the most costly. 1st. mistake. I missed a shell while dropping powder. 2nd mistake. Didn't hear the pop when the primer went off, and thought it was a dud round. 3rd. mistake. Fired another round without checking the bore, and darn near blew the barrel off my Ruger Blackhawk. The barrel swelled and looked like something from a cartoon. The strength of a Blackhawk is unbelievable! There were deffinatly two puffs of dust when the bullets hit the ground in front of the target. After that, I always double and tripple check my cases before seating any bullets.
My point is, do everything you can to elimenate any and all distractions while reloading. You may be saving your life, and the guys next to you at the fireing range.
John

Speaking of mistakes.....Many years ago I was reloading 30-06 rounds. My rancher pal and I had a few beers and decided to throw together some bullets. I thought I had checked all of the cases to be sure they were charged with powder before seating the bullets. A couple of days later I ws hunting on his ranch and saw a buck about 75 yards away. I fired and missed (the loads were not that great) and the deer ran up the side of the hill. I chambered another round and fired...but it only went "click". When I tried to chamber a third round it wouldn't load. I decided something was very wrong. Apparently I had not loaded powder in the case. When I fired the second round, the click I heard the primer, which forced the bullet just into the lands and prevented the third round from chambering. If the bullet had traveled even and inch into the barrel and the third round was fired, the gun would have certainly blown up. I was very lucky that day. Since then I do not mix alcohol with reloading, although the mistake could have been made anyway. Be sure to check, then double check, every step in the process.

Do any of you use software of any kind to assist you in the reloading process? I see Sierra offers such a product and I'm wondering if any of you have experience with their product or one similar, please? Thanks!

I personally have never had a max load shoot worth a crap in my rifles. Most often I am between the published minimum and maximum. Usually closer to min than max. Like most others have already stated, start low and work up. Most likely you will find a load that shoots well long before you reach the other end. Good luck and stau safe.

Keep a log or notebook of details,(dates,cases,primers,powders,weights and lengths,etc.). Sounds "blah-blah-blah" but sooner or later you can, or will have to look back to see the info on what you loaded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I just started reloading and im reading the manuals, using starting loads and I've been having some loads actually break open the action of my gun( i have a single shot rossi in.223) Why is this?

How cost effective is reloading versus "bulk" reloaded ammo-i.e. Georgia Arms ammo. This ammo would be used for trigger time ammo.
I don't reload at present so I would have to buy a complete set-up.

Never mind guys. I found the cost calculator at Handloads.com

Last edited:
Be aware of bullet seating depth. many of the forum topics refer to seating the bullet into the lads or just off.

This is fine if yuou approach it gradually, but a high pressure situation is inevitable with such technique.

The best thing you can do is know your chamber and don't push it. A load which works well at SAAMI dimentsions can be very redline or worse when jammed into the lands.

HM

Quote:
CAN ANYONE GET SOME PICS OF THIER RELOADING SET UPS PLEASE

Here is mine right after I finished. I dont have any newer pictures. Hope it helps
DSC00389.jpg

I neck size my cases for my .223 700 rem. but that don't mean they will work in another gun. every schamber is different as well as head space. another thing that I live by is never load ammo for someone anything is possible and you don't want to be responsible for it. if someone wants you to load there have them help and teach them to do it them selves

Thank you guys for all the great input! I haven't started reloading yet, but I plan to very soon. I will bookmark this thread for the future.

I keep a box of small ziploc bags and a black sharpie on my bench. When I don't have enough ammo boxes for my different loads, I bag and tag. When I have once fired brass coming out of the tumbler, I bag and tag. When I have different caliber brass or even different manufacturers of the same caliber, I bag and tag. When I have odd bullets lying around or lose the boxes to them, I bag and tag. For my assortments of RCBS accessories that fit the same handle like case neck brushes, primer pocket brushes and small parts, I bag and tag. A couple bucks worth of bags and sharpies go a long ways. Especially in small spaces /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Quote:
I keep a box of small ziploc bags and a black sharpie on my bench. When I don't have enough ammo boxes for my different loads, I bag and tag. When I have once fired brass coming out of the tumbler, I bag and tag. When I have different caliber brass or even different manufacturers of the same caliber, I bag and tag. When I have odd bullets lying around or lose the boxes to them, I bag and tag. For my assortments of RCBS accessories that fit the same handle like case neck brushes, primer pocket brushes and small parts, I bag and tag. A couple bucks worth of bags and sharpies go a long ways. Especially in small spaces /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Ahhh, here is one, Plastic, Do not ever store Primers loose or in thier box in plastic bags or plastic wrap..Plastic can produce static. dont know if its a valid point, but it occured to me...Wax paper would be better.

The ONE trap I fell into reloading my 22-250 stuff was complacancy!!! I used Varget at 34.5 grains on 55 GR V-MAX through two bottles of powder with extremely good success. 240 yard shots on p-dogs - no problem out of my box gun. Came time for more powder and I just went ahead and loaded at 34.5 grains. I noticed the gun shot hot and high (3 inches) at 200 yards. During sight in after 9 rounds I suffered case separation at the base and stuck shell plus primer expulsion. This happened twice on the same number round fired. On examination there was SOME indication of high pressure on the primer!! Long story short I loaded at 31.0 GR of Varget(minimum load) and still had high pressure signs on the primer. On top of that I had to have the ejector pin and spring drilled out and replaced in the bolt. The brass clip in the bolt face that holds the base is also damaged. Not good!!! The same problems occurred with two new bottles of powder. I now load using IMR4064, 33.5 GR, and 50 GR V-MAX. Everything is excellent once again for accuracy with no signs of high pressure. One CANNOT be to careful exercising safety first rules. I cannot over state that fact. 500 rounds and who would have thought........................................
apparently I didn't..

I'm one of those weird guys that started reloading so I could shoot more, instead I found a new sport. I now shoot so I can reload! Any excuse to shoot.
I use a chronograph, an Oehler M33, so I can see changes faster. If there is a sudden or unexpected change in velocity, I know there is at least twice as much, percentage-wise, change in pressure. I don't know the pressure, but I know there has been a change, it never goes down, when I use more powder.
The consensus is to do things consistantly. The actual things each reloader does may be different, and their tools may be different, but the do it EVERY time. If something you do turns out to have a problem, change it. That's why, after reading the manual(s), you go slowly. You can always speed up later, as your muscle-memory becomes more inplace.
Our needs are different. I shoot several guns, of several types, ie rapid pistol, target-shooting and bench-rest, varmint-class, as extremes, but also, for instance, trap-shooting. You would have other needs, therefor, would do things slightly different. Just don't rush things.
Have fun,
Gene

Back