Re: How many pups

Steve, thanks! There is certainly questions that need to be answered. You should copy some of the Posse Country discussions and post them here.

NCH, are you in luck! Dave Hamilton, a furbearer biologist from Missouri, sent me an email yesterday about "Wild Furbearere Management and Conservation in North America" may be available on CD ROM. I had him post it here and it can be found in the Clubhouse Forum. Wiley E

Wiley--A couple of reasons I haven't brought the PC discussions over here. First, a lot of the guys that were over there are now over here, and I don't think everyone is automatically interested in re-reading the same stuff again. Kind of like re-inventing the wheel. If questions start to show up especially re: territorial behavior/spacing/activity, etc., I would say those discussions should be brought over. You are right--I see no reason to re-type all that stuff. I could be squeezing the trigger or drilling holes in the ice rather than typing.

What do you think?

The second reason is that I don't know how to bring that stuff over here. That, of course, is not an insurmountable problem. Do you know how to do it?

Sounds good! If there is something that I could copy from PC, let me know. I was just trying to keep you drilling holes and pulling triggers. LOL! Don't want to burn you out! Take Care Pal! Wiley E

Wiley--I re-read the paper you brought forward on the link just to make sure my opinion of it was the same as the other day. It is. It is really nothing more that a review of literature with a few ideas occasionally interjected.

There are, however, many excellent publications on coyotes and other predators that have very clear objectives, good methods that resulted in the collection of excellent data, and good conclusions based on those data. One that comes immediately to mind that would be of interest to you comes from a lady biologist in Utah. She investigated the effect of late winter coyote maintainence removal work on damage mechanics the following spring. She had excellent data, very good experimental design and the data was very appropriate for your work and long overdue. In a nutshell she found that maintainence removal of coyotes was both cost effective and damage reduction effective. I can get you a reprint of that paper, if you don't have one.
When one reads that paper, it is easy to see what good science really is all about.

In addition, there is 1 author mentioned in the paper on the link that has conducted some of the worst science I have ever seen in over 30 years in the field! Just because this author is even cited anywhere raises a red flag for me. If you want to e-mail me, we can discuss this individual and the work in a private format.

Cal--I will share this information with you privately, also. However, I will not discuss ethics and professionalism on an open forum. E-mail me and we'll talk.

Steve your posts are a pleasure to read.
They are vary well written and informative.
the menders of this forum owe you greatly
for your time and effort.

The way to copy something from another
post or forum.
open the thread that you wish to copy.
start with the first letter of the part you
wish to copy. Depress the left mouse button
and hold it down. Scroll down to highlight
everything that you wish to copy, releasing
the mouse button when everything is
highlighted. Move the cursor to a point on
the heightlighted area and right click, Chose
copy. Then go to the form of your choice.
Choose post-new topic or post reply,
which ever is appropriate. In the message
window right click and choose paste.
This will paste everything that you had
highlighted.

[This message has been edited by Tornado (edited 03-21-2001).]

Tornado--Thank you for the generous comment re: posts. Also thanks for the instructions re: moving posts from 1 forum to another. That could be very useful.

Re: hunting predators in Alaska; do you ever call in any silver or cross fox? How common are they in your area? Myself and my hunting partner called and killed a cross fox several years ago just east of Bismarck, but that is the only one I have ever seen. Also what about calling other species in Alaska? What comes to your calling efforts? What types of calls do you use? Any bear problems? Thanks.

Yes in 20 years of calling in Alaska I have called in several cross fox. Starting about 100 miles north the fox population really starts to thicken up. Also on Kodak and some of the neighboring Islands the fox are very thick. Coyote populations are low in Alaska. And their territories are large. On the Kenai Peninsula is where I have found the largest population. One of the biggest problems is accessibility. There is a lack of a road system up here. Without a snow machine you are pretty limited. As of yet I have not really targeted the wolves. I hope to change that next year though. I have never shot a bear that I called in but have had several opportunities.
As for calls, my favorite hand call is the Tally Ho next is the AP6.
This year I cheated and got a WT call and my success has increased dramatically.

Back