difference between 22 long and 22 LR

Mex3D

hey, i have a Marlin model 39, and it says it can shoot 22 short, long, and long rifle.

whats the difference between long and long rifle?? thanx!

From CCI's web site:
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx
FROM SMALLEST TO LARGEST IN SIZE AND VELOCITY:
22 Caps:
Usually light bullets like 29 grain or round ball at about 500ft/sec
CB Short/Short:
Usually light bullets like 29 grain at around 7-800ft/sec
Long:
Usually lighter bullets like 29 grain at around 1000ft/sec
Long Rifle:
Usually heavier bullets like 40 grain at around 1000ft/sec
Magnum:
Usually heavier bullets like 40 grain at around 1900ft/sec

Obviously there are High Velocity versions of most pushing velocities up a couple extra hundred feet/sec.

To answer your question dirrectly, case length and velocity.

thanx!

so, i guess there is no use for Long, because the Long Rifle have about the same speed but weight more?? i only hunt rabbit and jacks.

thanx again!!

Just the weight of the bullet. The long uses the same bullet as a short, the long rifle uses a heavier bullet but the same case as a long. Most times the long isn't worth messing with since the long rifle will do anything that the long will do plus a few things.

the 22 long is a historical round. it was made after the 22 short in the black powder days. Reason was so the case would hold more black powder. the long rifle made it obselete. I don't think you can even buy them anymore

You can buy them, but not at your typical gun shop, at least not around here. You have to really look for them or just buy them on line.

my dad used to use 22 longs in his ruger super single six pistol for our trapline. A 22 lr does more damage than a 22 short and the long fills in the chamber more than the short but is less powerful than the lr. I hope that makes sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The .22 Long is also a good bit quieter. Most don't break the sound barrier so they don't have the crack. Other than that, there is no real benefit b/c they cost more than almost all .22lr rounds. If you want a quiet .22 lr just buy the .22lr Subsonic and it is pretty much the same as a .22long as far as performance and sound.

If you really want to get quiet you can shoot the CB Long. Not good for long shots, but for shooting something in a trap or a tree rat out to about 25 yards they work great. They do cost more than the standard velocity or sub sonics.

Jerry

.22 Long
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

.22 Long is a variety of .22 caliber (5.56 mm) rimfire ammunition. The .22 Long is the second oldest of the surviving rimfire cartridges, dating back to 1871, when it was loaded with a 29 grain (1.9 g) bullet and 5 grains (0.32 g) of black powder, 25% more than the .22 Short it was based on. It was designed for use in revolvers, but was soon chambered in rifles as well. The .22 Long Rifle, a heavier loading of the .22 Long case, appeared in 1887, along with the first smokeless powder loadings of the .22 rimfires.

The .22 Long has the same case length as the vastly more popular .22 Long Rifle, but differs in that the Long Rifle has a significantly heavier bullet, a longer overall length (due to the longer bullet used), and a higher muzzle energy. The .22 Long is essentially obsolete; no new firearms are designed specifically to use it, and the largest 3 producers of .22 Long ammunition ceased production (although it continues to be made by CCI, Aguila, and others). Many .22 Long Rifle guns will chamber and fire the shorter round, though the .22 Long generally does not generate sufficient energy to operate semiautomatic guns. The one prominent survivor of the .22 Long is the .22 CB Long, a long-cased version of the .22 CB.

While the original .22 Long loading used the same powder charge as the .22 Long Rifle, and the .22 Long bullet was significantly lighter, the combination does not result in higher velocities for the .22 Long when fired from a rifle. The large barrel volume to chamber volume of a .22 rimfire rifle means that the powder gasses have expanded as far as they can in well before the muzzle of a normal length rifle barrel, and the light .22 Long bullet doesn't have the inertia of the .22 Long Rifle. This means that the .22 Long bullet (and to a lesser extent the .22 Long Rifle, in most loadings) actually slows down significantly before it exits the barrel. Since the .22 Long Rifle performs as well in a short handgun barrel as the .22 Long does, and outperforms it significantly in a long rifle barrel, the development of the .22 Long Rifle assured the .22 Long's path to obsolescence. In a sense, though, descendants of the .22 Long still live on, though they are not sold as such. Hypervelocity loadings of the .22 Long Rifle use bullets as light as 30 grains (1.9 g), and special blends of powder to make full use of a rifle barrel to generate velocities far higher than normal loads, and chamber pressures high enough to cycle semi-automatic firearms reliably. The most well known of these is the CCI Stinger, which actually goes so far as to stretch the case length slightly, so that with the short, light bullet, the overall length is still within the max overall length for the .22 Long Rifle.

the 22 long is a historical round. it was made after the 22 short in the black powder days. Reason was so the case would hold more black powder. the long rifle made it obselete. I don't think you can even buy them anymore
I just ordered them by mistake from Midway thinking I was getting 22 CB Long as I needed subsonic rounds.

The biggest % of 22 rimfire are LR only. Never heard of a long only but there may be some.

I see no reason to buy longs otherwise

Back