Curing a Snakeskin for a Hatband

RezDoggin

Hey fella's,
I think I read it in this forum before but not sure ,anyway how do I go about perserving a Rattlesnake skin for a hatband? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
I tried to do a search but I guess I forgot how cuz I keep gettin "No Match Found". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I too would like to know.

RezDoggin...How do you go about killing your rattlesnakes? I have always wanted to get one for there skin as well as see what they taste like...You know of any somewhat safe way to get one without a gun? I would like to know...It'd make it more exciting.

I bet Riverrunner knows how to cure a snakeskin.

hi,im new to this this forum but i can tell u that,as for killing it assuming ur not going to use the head,try to hit in the head w/ a broomhandle or something(thats fun)then carefully and precisely cut it off.then lay it on a flat surface and cut down the center of the belly w/ scissors, do it straight.then youll see were the hide conects to the body on either side, take a knife and cut the membrane,stick ur finger inbetween the body and hide,move it across the back until u come to the othersid,then stik ur figer in the space betweenth hide and body,move it down to the end and up to the top,now the skin should be off the body.lay it on a flat surface and get off all exess meat,u shuold now have a clean hide.get 1 gal. of water,1 cup of REPTILE tan and 1 cap of lysol.mix all together put the hide in and let sit min. of 2hrs stiring periodically.when its done tanning itll turn whitish gray.take out and drain exess,lay on flat surface and LIGHTLY stretch.towel dry,staple very outside edge down,flesh side up make sur is symetrical. apply REPTILE tanning oil.over flesh side.let dry min.1 week periodicly reapplying oil if any dry spots appear.carefully take out pins or staples,trim if needed,i use the middle section,trimming away the outside edges and extra length w/my hat bands i fold them in half along the center of back if u want the head let me kno,hope this helps.ps...if u get one send some pics BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET BIT IF U DO,IT AINT MY FAULT!

Where can I get the reptile tan that you speak of? I have never killed a rattler cause I dont know how to tan a snake hide but it it is this simple then I have a hat that would look great with a rattle snake band.

Yellowhammer Thanks for that link, i'm gonna get some of that stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

trkyman,
Thanks for the how to.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

the rattler I have in my freezer is about 3ft long, it has beautiful colors and it will match one of my hats perfectly. I'll take a picture and post the before and after pics soon as I get the solution.

This guy was at my folks house and luckly I happened to run into him before one of the folks did (their usually out watering plants late in the eve) My Mom said she had seen a snake a couple of times but only for a second or so.He was hole'd up in the wood pile and when I grabbed a piece of wood he went off one day.... He met his match looking down the barrel of my .177cal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do recall someone here saying something about curing a snake skin with borax,anybody heard that before?

Last edited:
yea,or salt wiil work, same thing xcept it wont be soft and plyable w/doesnt really matter on a hat but its good to kno how to do it right in case u want to do it on something other than a hat band

I figure I'll make a call and order that solution. Hey do you put anything such as a piece of leather or something when you fold the skin in half or do you just fold and sew together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Never used the reptile tan stuff. about 10 years ago i had a friend mount a rattlers hide on a board, 2 of them. i have them on the wall where i work. i'm sure this will sound strange, but he used regular car anti-freeze, and soaked them for about a week. i've only skinned 3 or 4, and really you won't need to do much fleshing, once you get it started you can pull the hide down to it's head without a knife, i used a razor blade up the belly first, but will need to get the meat removed around it's rattle. the boy is a carpenter, and whittled a head form, it looks good. i think he sprayed the inside with a clear spray, like poly-urethane, stapled it to the board and went over it a few more times. the hide will really stretch when it's wet, looks like a monster, lol. i think it did gain a foot or so. and it was a nice one to start. as far as eating the rascals, i tried it just after my daughters birth, 10 years ago today, (forgot that) shhh, it's a waste of time. the snake had 3 or 4 mice in it's belly and i'd say they had more meat on their carcass. didn't take long to figure i was going to need something else for supper.

Make sure you dont overstretch the hide. Its really just skin and not hide but its very elastic. I did just that one time trying to get the hide back to the original 18 footer that it was (of course) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and the scales had a good 1/8th" gap between them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

This may sound crazy, but I've always thought a Copperhead skin would make a nice hat band. I like the colors and hate the snakes. Has anyone ever tanned one of these for a hat band? Just curious.

1st, when you skin your snake, use a pair of scissors instead of a knife. Use get a lot better cut. Then I lay the skin out on a thick piece of cardboard with the bad side up. starting at the widest part of the snake use tacks to stretch it out. Don't over stretch! And use plenty of tacks. I always put them across from each other. Then spread borax on it. Do not use salt! Let it on for 2 or 3 days until skin is dry. Then brush it off well. Put glyserin skin lotion on it using a paint brush. This will soften the skin up again. Let it dry for a week or so and you should be good to go. I've done several rattle snakes and copperheads like this and they have always turned out great. And this is a procedure I got from an experienced taxidermist. It is very easy to do and all you need is glyserin, borax, and thumb tacks. All the skins I do I put on boards with brass brads. If I can find my digital camera, I'll try to post a pic.

I think it was my grandpa who used to kill them by grabbing the tail and flicking them to break the neck. I never saw it, but I'm sure I'll never try that.

Go buy a bottle of 100 proof whisky, drink half fast enough to get sick then you won't fill as bad about wasting the other half, pour other half in a bowl drop the skin in for a week or two stirring once in awhile. Once you pull it out pin to a board to dry.

Back