Free MP3 sounds

Bozdogkiller

Can anybody tell me where I can find a few more sounds for my fox pro FX3 I have around 60 but I would like to filler up I am not a fan of paying for sounds
and I am dam sure not paying $20 to Fox Pro.

Is there a way you can record your own sounds and program them to MP3 format?
This is the only site I know of where there are a few free sounds ready to download
http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm
Thanks to Varmint AL

Boz,
There aren't many good options out there. Here's a few things for you to consider.

The best current method to record sounds is with the Sound Devices 722 and a good microphone. The recorder is $2645. and the microphones run at least $1000, some a lot more. That recorder will store them directly into MP3 for you. And of course you'll need some traps and pens and fencing and some cooperative animals and a couple of thousand hours to figure out how to use all that stuff.

Or you can spend $20 and buy them from FoxPro or Johnny Stewart or Byron South.

There are NO well-recorded high-fidelity live animal sounds available for free download on the web suitable for wildlife calling. You might find a few medium fidelity recordings of hand calls. Thanks to guys like Varmint Al and Ernie Wilson, true gentlemen. Or you could beg some from someone who paid for theirs.

Or you could spend $20 and buy a hand call and learn to blow it yourself.

A brown bear hunt in Alaska, when you add it up, is now about $20,000. An Elephant hunt in Zimbabwe - $80,000. Hunting is not a sport for tightwads. Even predator calling costs something.

I could understand if you've fallen on hard times, but you bought an FX3 so that probably isn't your problem.. Don't be so hard on the guys who ask you for only $20. Life isn't free and those sounds cost them plenty.

"Life isn't free and those sounds cost them plenty": Its $1.25 a sound. Thats really not that bad. I believe foxpro is 95% real sounds. Ckeck ou the prices at other sights like Randy Andersons if you think foxpro is bad. It costs them a butload to record those sounds why not give a little back.

A $20 bill now and again is pretty cheap.

What really distinguishes the pro recordings worth paying top dollar for from wannabe recordings and handcalling sequences that folks are eager to give away is that the better pro recordings have proven to evoke a positive response from predators.

Audio quality plays second fiddle to this. I'd be extremely surprised if more than a mere handful of the top-selling or best-performing recorded prey sequences to date have been recorded in conditions anywhere near resembling the pristine environment of a professional sound stage. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if none of them were. That's not to say I wouldn't like to see someone come along and offer a comprehensive catalog of proven-to-call predator sounds that were legitimately recorded at the current state-of-the art of of audio quality, because I really and truly would.

For anyone proficienct at consistently calling critters with a handcall, it should not prove overly difficult to achieve superior results by recording your own calls to those you'll get from using most all the handcall sequences you can find posted on the internet for free download. Armed with a USB microphone and just about any PC or Mac (or a $20 conventional microphone for a PC with a decent soundcard) it is a relatively simple matter to record your own handcalls, lipsqueaks, or even captive live critters. In fact, with a little care and some digital sound editor magic (pretty cheap and simple to do, nowadays) you can easily exceed the audio quality of most everything that passed for professionally-recorded predator calling sounds of just a few years ago, and probably anything ever recorded on tape. Maybe someone with a critical ear might be able to tell the difference between your self-recorded tracks and sounds professionally recorded in a studio with soundproofing, but your average fox or coyote probably won't be able to tell that you went the DIY route, audio quality-wise.

Back to the original question: Is the sound itself any good (Does it actually work to call predators)?

From what little I've done, I know it's gotta be extremely time-intensive to get real live animals to perform in front of the microphone. I've had quite the time getting mice to squeak on cue, myself. And to winnow hundreds of recordings into ones that work best, is quite a job. So, do I wanna spend the next several years squeezing/"interrogating" bunnies and woodpeckers and baby mink myself? Heck no!

LionHo

Last edited:
You don't have a problem popping 500 buck for an Fx3,but you do have a problem paying 20 bucks for 16 more sounds?Go figure.LOL

Try spending around 4 grand on top quality recording equipment, countless hours in the field trying to record good quality sounds, and then post em for free down load on the net. Not to mention then having someone take that sound and claim it as their own and try to make money off your hard work.

It would be nice if Foxpro would sell their sounds to non-Foxpro owners. A profit on the sale of a sound is a profit no matter whose caller your using.

Hope your reading this Mike.

Thanks for the good info fellas I am not that big of tight wad I have gave fox pro alot of money lately
I just wanted to find some off the wall sounds
it seems to me over half the sounds I order are CRAP and I cant get a good enough listen in the preview of the sound
But anyway I am just looking of a few off the wall sounds I am not complaining or boobing about the price
But in my first post it does kind of sound like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well, no one bashed you too hard for asking. But everyone seems to agree that good sounds are at a premium, and buying them is the way to go, because it supports the people who take the time and effort to record and market them to the rest of us and keeps them available for the next guy. Posting someone else's sounds on the web ist verboten and will draw the ire of many, who see blatant anonymous file-sharing as illegal and unethical.

But I can post an opinion based on facts and point you in the right direction toward your next purchase. That way you'll get real value for every $20 bill you lay out, and not another cd full of sounds that sound like caca and don't work in the field.

We all have our favorites and everyone is welcome to join in with what they think is the best value in the sound business currently available for sale. If I were hunting in your home state Utah, and were going to add some winners to my FX3 at only $5 each.....

1. Johnny Stewart Bobcat Vol I
....a. Desperate Cries of a Cottontail
....b. Rodent Distress
....c. Yellowhammer Woodpecker
....d. Meadowlark Distress

2. Byron South Jackrabbit Distress Sounds
....a. Male Jackrabbit Distress (Choked, shaken, and stomped)
....b. Female Jackrabbit Distress
....c. Swamp Rabbit Distress
....d. Dueling Jacks

3. Johnny Stewart Coyote Calling III
....a. Grown Cottontail
....b. Vittles A'la Jackrabbit
....c. Doe in Distress
....d. Wild Piglet Distress

4. Johnny Stewart Red Fox Vol I because it's got both fox sounds and Squealing Bird... or if I hunted crows.... JS Crow Calls I

There, top quality sounds all, that you can order today, and not a single dime of your money wasted. And if memory serves, I have at one time or another, killed critters over every single one of them. Byron's are ready to go, 320 Mbps MP3 one-minute loops. The JS sounds may need a little massage. I like to pick my own loop off the cd and encode it to MP3 myself to maintain high-fidelity. Editing your own sounds is a skill that will stick with you no matter whose caller you're using in the future and really isn't that difficult.

I'll let someone else pick the best 16 Foxpro sounds, the ones you can't live without. And between us we'll come up with 32 that will make any FX3 a killer.

stay away from the kiss of death, its like the kiss of finger nails on the chalk board. to much noise. i like the crisp clean cuts. example cow bird, fawn bawl & fawn distress(made about 20 deer sit and watch for 30 minutes)yote in distress.

Quote:
It would be nice if Foxpro would sell their sounds to non-Foxpro owners. A profit on the sale of a sound is a profit no matter whose caller your using.

Hope your reading this Mike.

I can see why Foxpro is doing what they are doing.

Hammer

Back