cold weather video camera suggestions

gakendall1

I'm sorry if this has been covered but I did numerous searches for video cameras to record cold-weather hunts and couldn't find anything. If it was covered and someone can post a link, I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking to buy a relatively inexpensive ($200-$300) video camera to record my hunts. Now that my son is hunting with me, I'd really like to capture it on video but I'm not sure what video camera would be best. I'm not looking for cinema quality picture and sound, but also don't want Fischer Price either.

I'm posting it here because of the cold weather variable. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Sorry for my slow response, but I don't check the Great White North forum often. I hunt ND the majority of the time as well. I have used a lot of things to capture coyote hunts including large production video cameras, compact camcorders, gopro action cameras, drones, NV video cameras, Tactacam FTS, digital riflescopes, and thermal riflescopes. In the cold, batteries are not your friend.

Large Production Cameras: Way over a few hundred dollars.

Compact Camcorder: This can be a simple solution, but not great for extreme cold. I purchased a mount picatinny rail mount and an arca-swiss adapter and clamp and would mount the camera directly to side of my gun. I would make sure it is lined up and zoom into the same area as my scope, and close the video screen. When a coyote would show, I would hit record, and wherever I am pointing, this area is recorded. It works. I tried to find the mount on Amazon but can't find it at the moment. You will be fighting fogging up and batteries in cold weather.

Go Pro: Works good for interviews and close work but not great for capturing coyote hunts because coyotes at 100 yards plus don't show up well.

Tactacam FTS: This device films right through your glass rifle scope. It is around $500-600 and I tried to like this solution, but just don't. Batteries don't last long, it is uncomfortable shooting, video files are extremely large, and more.

Recommendation: In some cases, I have used as many of 4 of these video recording devices at one time when trying to do more production quality pieces during daytime hunts. If wanting to simply capture a hunt, I would skip all the individual devices and get a device like a Sightmark Wraith 4K max. This serves as your digital riflescope but also records directly to a memory card, so you get best of both worlds. For the cold, this scope is rated to -4. The internal battery will take a hit in the cold, but I would use an external battery pack connected with a USB-C cable, and you can hunt/film virtually all day or all night with that. This is a lot more than a $100-$200 but consider this is a scope and camera together.

Here is an example of what this unit is capable of: Sightmark Wraith 4K Max. All the video elements where you see a reticle (red dot on my video) is recorded by the scope.

If you want to hunt mainly at night, I recommend a thermal rifle scope. A Bering Optics Super Hogster is the best "bang for your buck" but now you are talking a little over $3K and I would recommend a thermal scanner in addition to this.

Here is an example of night hunting with a thermal. Super Hogster Example Video. Thermal is legal to use in ND but only after the close of deer season until March 15. It can be used for daytime hunting as well but most only use it as night.

Back