Can we reconsider the thermal clip-on for a moment?

Ernest49

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...541#Post3274541

.... over a year ago ... we had touched on this topic and Kirsch with "strike-one", "strike-two", "strike three" had written the right reasons ... for which the thermal clip-on it is not loved by American night hunters. In the USA they sell 1 clip-on versus 200 pure thermal riflescopes. Instead in Europe and here in Italy in particular .... the relationship is reversed ... Do you think that, if I myself wanted to buy the brand new Infiray CH50W thermal clip-on, I would have to book it ....As soon as it arrives at the dealer it is already sold !! Do you think that I have not yet been able to try it (!!!) Anyway I remain of the opinion of Kirsch and Skinney .... the pure thermal riflescope is much more comfortable and less invasive. Here in Italy there is a lot of night selection hunting for tower stand hogs. Perhaps this is the reason why the clip-on is much preferred .... It also seems that Zeroing is easier, because the calibration of the telescope is preserved .... After more than a year what about do you think guys? Do you still keep your opinion? Thank you all for the answers....

Last edited:
Perhaps for those who hunt from tower stands or tree stands it would be okay, but for mobile hunters it appears to be awkward and unwieldy. I can't see coyote callers or hog stalkers using one. Stand-alone thermals are just so good and so much more compact that I can't imagine using such a contraption and usually at more expense.

Thermal Clip-ons are a logical choice when a person owns a gun that has a low-power (LPVO) style scope, and they do not want to remove this scope. They want the simplicity of one gun. For this use case, yes, a clip-on can work.

Extra Weight, increased cost, and focus in front of your day-scope, are some of the reasons mentioned in the past of why I don't love a thermal clip-on. Keep in mind since thermals don't see through glass, it sits in front of your daytime scope. It is like watching TV with a spotting scope. This is what is occurring as the day scope is indeed focusing on a digital screen 1" in front of it.

The more traditional thermal scope designs don't fit bolt guns well. The more compact models tend to work better on AR style guns. The AR platform may be more popular in the US than in many other countries. In the last few years a few more options have become available to work on bolt-action rifles such as the Thermion, Bolt, and some ATN models. Another potential difference is the typical US hunter probably owns more guns than the typical European hunter. Having another gun or an AR upper designed for nighttime usage is probably more common in the US.

....4490 € Infiray CH50W clip-on + 174.90 € Rusan adapter ring = 4664.90 € (list price) - 10% discount = 4198 € Now you have to add 2000-2500 € for a good Leupold lens riflescope and then again 247 € for 30 mm rings.... in short, a total approaching € 6500-7000. You're right DoubleUp ... it costs an exaggeration!

Last edited:
Our skilled and experienced SkyPup moderator, who has an unparalleled scientific and technical culture, uses the fantastic and very expensive Flir T-75 clip-on .... He will probably also have an excellent thermal riflescope .... I would be curious to know which one he uses and which one do you prefer ... clip-on vs thermal riflescope ??

Last edited:
I switched from a Halo to a super Yoter clip on. Clip-ons do have some negatives, but I prefer the SY-C because I can use my scopes Mil-based reticle for holdovers.

Originally Posted By: KsracerI switched from a Halo to a super Yoter clip on. Clip-ons do have some negatives, but I prefer the SY-C because I can use my scopes Mil-based reticle for holdovers. Ksracer, thanks for your perspective. I do have a question to help with my own understanding. The Super Yoter - R and actually the Super Hogsters, Vibes, and Yoters have 8 reticles. 4 are FFP and 4 are SFP. Why can't a user do the same thing with the 4 FFP reticles that you are doing with your day scope? I get the fact you know your day scope hold overs, so it would require probably knowing 2 scopes, but is there another difference I am missing?

Back