Originally Posted By: GC
Is it legal to use the gutless method to debone and quarter a deer and backpack the meat/antlers out? When Telecheck was instituted in Missouri in 2006 it became legal and practical to debone and quarter deer in the field and pack them out. I had used that method in western states to get game out of the mountains and it is just as useful in the Ozark mountains as it is in Wyoming. I hate dragging deer and haven't done it in a long time now and have no wish to go back to that. ATV's are illegal off marked roads on public ground in Missouri and I hope it stays that way. Using the backpack method of getting usable meat/antlers out if I can walk in I can pack a deer out much easier than dragging one in the rough, steep Ozark terrain.

Yep, that is how I do with the deer I shoot. I have not gutted a deer or pulled muscles in my back loading them in a truck in a long time. I quarter them out and get the back straps and E-check them before I leave The field. I always make sure I have my name and check-in info written on a piece of paper and attached to whatever I have the meat in as soon as I cut it up. As a kid part of the fun was showing off your deer at the checkin station, kids these days will never know...