Help on thermal

k9jones

Guys,

I've been researching thermals hard for a couple of weeks, and have a few questions. I talked to Cory the other day, and he was a wealth of knowledge, and I have spoken with Hans (etx). I enjoyed speaking with both guys.

1. I'm looking at the super Hogster A3 and the Super Yoter 35 as my scope. Which of these two thermals would you think would perform better at longer distances (longer shots)?

2. I am also trying to decide on a thermal scanner. I was looking at the vibe 25 as a primary scanner. Does anybody use this or the hogster 25 as their scanner? Im not sure that I want to be scanning with a scope. My thinking is that it would be a little bulky, especially with the qd mount. I kind of like the thought of thermal
monocular as a scanner. Something like the phenom, pulsar axion or tiapan, but then again having an extra scope that can pull double duty would be a plus. So I would love to hear from guys that use a thermal scope as a scanner.

I really need to just go ahead and bite the bullet, as all this research is causing me too many sleepless nights.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Surely the Bering Optics Super Yoter with 35mm lens will be an excellent thermal riflescope, with a large 12.5°x10° FOV and 2X minimum optical magnification.
IMHO, the Super Yoter 35, having a 640x512@12micron sensor, for medium distance shots, will give a better view than the Super Hogster 35, which has a 384x288@12micron sensor.
The best choice for long distance shooting is definitely the Super Yoter with 50mm lens

A small, handy monocular thermal scanner with built-in night rangefinder and high definition 640x512@12micron, could be the Infiray Finder FH25R.

https://www.infirayoutdoor.com/thermal-imaging-scope-finder-fh25r-fl25rseries_p53.html

In addition, an excellent quality and very versatile trivalent thermal scanner is the Infiray Geni GL35R.

https://www.infirayoutdoor.com/thermal-imaging-rifle-scope-gl35r-series_p70.html

It has a night rangefinder, it's a scanner, and it has the reticles to be used as a thermal riflescope with a quick release attachment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: k9jones1. I'm looking at the super Hogster A3 and the Super Yoter 35 as my scope. Which of these two thermals would you think would perform better at longer distances (longer shots)? I know I provided my perspective on the phone but will add some additional information based on your question. In my mind, they are pretty equal in long-range performance. The SY 35 has a 11° FOV vs the 7.5° FOV of the SH. This means the SY 35 is more versatile because being 640 - 12µm, it can handle close range targets easier as well as long range, and the wider FOV allows the user to see a bigger area which helps with multiple target acquisition.

However, to shoot at distance, you will be required to digitally zoom the scope. Yes, the image stays pretty good with the SY when you digitally zoom in comparison to the SH. So, in summary the SY 35 is a little more versatile than the SH 35 but also cost around $700-$800 more. For the person who hunts mainly wide-open areas and shoots 100-300 mainly, the SH 35 will work great. For people who want to shoot animals at close range as well as up to 300 yards, and maybe hunts coyotes and hogs, or tends be hunt some confined spaces at times with multiple targets, the SY35 would be a better fit. [/quote]

Originally Posted By: k9jones I am also trying to decide on a thermal scanner. I was looking at the vibe 25 as a primary scanner. Does anybody use this or the hogster 25 as their scanner? Im not sure that I want to be scanning with a scope. My thinking is that it would be a little bulky, especially with the qd mount. I kind of like the thought of thermal monocular as a scanner. Something like the phenom, pulsar axion or tiapan, but then again having an extra scope that can pull double duty would be a plus. So I would love to hear from guys that use a thermal scope as a scanner. Scanners are cheaper than their scope equivalents. They tend to fit in the hand better but can only be scanners. Scopes like the Vibe 25 are very compact and can work as a scanner. Lots and lots of people use them for this purpose. However, if you never plan to use it as a scope, save yourself the money. One other thing to consider is a scope like the Vibe 25 has a 40mm eye relief where most scanners are around 14-15mm. This means people with glasses often prefer the scopes so they don't have to have the device slammed up against their glasses.

My hunting partner uses a Vibe 35 as his coyote scanner and loves it. The Vibe 25 is a little smaller and lighter, and has a wider FOV, so is even more conducive for most to use as a scanner.

Spending $6000 to me is like putting salt on a slug. When I started looking, I was hoping to be in the game for around $4000 (scanner and scope), and definitely no more than $5000, but the more I have researched it, I'm not sure that I will be satisfied with my options in that price range, and I only want to cry once. The SH and Hogster 35 are a little under 6000, and the sy and hogster 25 are a little over 6000. Between these two choices what would yall go with?

Ernest, I haven't looked at those irays (only the cabin 19, and I'm a lefty, so those are out). I will look into the iray scanners.

Cory, thanks again for all your insight. Once I have decided, I am going to contact night googles for a final price.

This type of purchase is about to drive me insane.

Thanks for your replies.

Originally Posted By: k9jonesThe SH and Hogster 35 are a little under 6000, and the sy and hogster 25 are a little over 6000. Between these two choices what would yall go with?
SH and Vibe 35 if you are hunting wide open spaces and consistently shoot at distance. Also, if you want your backup scope to be viable shooting up to 200 yards.

SY35 and Vibe 25: If you are hunting more confined areas or a mixture of terrains. The Vibe 25 is a great scanner but keep in mind as a backup scope is good to about 150 yards for a comfortable shot on a coyote sized animal. This solution will work in more situations, but my hunting partner uses the SH and Vibe 35 as a scanner and loves it for ND coyote hunting.

Phenom 640 and SH: This gives you a 640 scanner, so viewing is really nice as you are using the scanner 98% of the time. The SH is allowing for further shooting. It is a little more than either option but is another consideration. You have no backup scope in this situation.

... sorry k9jones, I didn't know you were left handed. So I think Kirsch is right, without a doubt the best combination is SY35 and Vibe 25. Or, even better: SY35 and Infiray Cabin 25 (I tried it and it's great ...). Perhaps with this last combination you remain close to an expense of 5K ...

I run a sh on the gun and a 25 to scan with and have never wanted for anything else. I did start with a 35 on the gun but upgraded in December because with thermal (hunted with lights for 8yrs before thermal was legalized here in PA) l am able to detect then identify way more critters and at much longer distances. I have found the fov on the sh to be a non issue. I have killed from 40yds to just shy of 300 on native mag and don’t use the pip.

Ernest, I don't think that the cabins are for me. I'm a Lefty and the Cabins only allow the hand strap to be on the right side of the scanner. The rubber eye piece is positioned too cup the right eye. If I put it to my left eye, the rubber eye cup would dig into my nose, and not along the left side of my left eye. The video that I saw, that cup can't be turned 180. It is fixed.

Ksracer, I haven't ever hunted with night vision or a thermal, but during daylight, and with a steady rest 400 yards is getting out there. My longest kill shot on a deer was 472 long steps. I've killed several animals (deer, yotes, ground hogs) in the 300-350 yard range.

I would like to be able to make a 300 yard shot, with a thermal, if I do my part.

Do you shoot lefty with a left handed gun?
If eye cups can't be rotated on them...then thats bad design and marketing...but most manufacturers don't design for southpaws.. it shouldn't be a deterrent...you may have to modify how you scan to shoot process is..

...and my suggestion is to NOT worry about a hand strap on any manufacturers scanner .... get a lanyard.

Even though I am also left handed....I shoot right handed and scan with my non shooting left eye..scanner in left hand. For one of the simple facts thats it's the "free" hand. I can drop the scanner and position gun to shoulder in basically one smooth motion(shoot from tripod) when I'm ready to shoot..

You'll be more successful in the long run by not panicking and letting them getting them under 150 yards and carefully choosing your set ups and shots.

MOST ALL of the 300 yards thermal night shots are taken...NOT made..just sayn

..leave the 300 yarders alone for another night when they could be a lot closer. Pit your brain against his instinct and make it a goal to kill it.. It will make you a better coyote hunter and killer in the long run...

...and welcome to the fun !

Last edited:
... in fact the Infiray FH25R and my fantastic FH35R do not have the strap to hold with the right hand. They have two lanyards: one for the wrist and one for the neck ....

Originally Posted By: k9jones

Ksracer, I haven't ever hunted with night vision or a thermal, but during daylight, and with a steady rest 400 yards is getting out there. My longest kill shot on a deer was 472 long steps. I've killed several animals (deer, yotes, ground hogs) in the 300-350 yard range.

I would like to be able to make a 300 yard shot, with a thermal, if I do my part.

A 300yd shot at night is comparable to 600 in the daylight. Everything is tougher in the dark. The good news is that the animals will get closer, unless they've already been hunted at night.

I've been more than pleased with my Thermion XM30 for Eastern coyotes out to 250-300 yards.

For what I paid to what i have for capability, this scope has been spot on. Two years now and one brutally cold Maine winter and it still looks/runs like new and holds a rock solid zero.

Sorry Guys,

I've been away from the house for a few days. I did end up with a SY35.

Limbhanger, I am a lefty, but I have always shot right handed guns for over 50 years. In my early years, I rarely saw left handed guns. I grew up with two friends that shoot left handed, and we all still shoot right handed guns. Nowadays left handed guns feel strange to me.

I'm still undecided on a scanner, and think that I am going to continue saving my money for now.

Originally Posted By: k9jonesI've been away from the house for a few days. I did end up with a SY35.Congrats on your purchase. The SY have an amazing image and the SY35 can be used from close to long range, so very versatile.

Originally Posted By: k9jonesI'm still undecided on a scanner, and think that I am going to continue saving my money for now. I mentioned the Phenom 640 and the Vibe25. I wanted to throw another idea out there. I am finishing my review on the SY25. 1.5-6x magnification and an incredibly wide 18° FOV. This will make a great close-medium range scope and a great scanner as well. If purchased with the less expensive Bering QD mount, it is only $300 more expensive than the Phenom. It is just something to consider.

I hope to have a review video out soon.

The Phenom 640 is awesome but keep the SY25 in mind as well. I am reviewing one currently and should have a review video posted very soon. It has an 18° FOV vs the 11° on the SY35 and 8.5° on the 50. The FOV on the Phenom is 13° so the SY25 is quite a bit wider than all 3.

So FE File Explorer became Owfiles or some such nonsense on my new phone.

I don't see FE File Explorer on the apps store any more? And this Owfiles thing doesn't have any FTP option, at least not that I can see.

Do you have any updated instructions for somebody wanting to set up their iPhone to download videos from the Super Hogster to a Mac?

If you had FE File Explorer and your iPhone updated and now it is OwlFiles, you are still OK. Simply connect to the thermal like before, and go down to the option that says Connections. It should still show you the connection you setup under FE Explorer (192.168.11.123). If it doesn't show this:

1) Click Connections in OwlFiles
2) Inside Connections select the lightning bolt in the upper right-hand corner of the screen
3) Select New Connection
4) Select FTP
5) Put in Bering for the name, 192.168.11.123 for the HostName/IP and 12345678 for the password
6) Save

Once you connect to the WiFi of the thermal, launch OwlFiles, select Connections, and select the Bering option, and you will see the files like you did before.

Back