Poll on Music

DoubleUp

Please take time to voice your opinion, it matters!

Three options:

No music

Some music

Entire video with music

Just my 2 cents worth: I think it depends on the length of the video and if there is actual hunting audio recorded of natural sounds. On a longer video, intermittent music is good, with some actual hunting audio without music, and music at strategic places. On shorter videos I now tend to do all music. In the past I did some videos without music and after reviewing them now, they seem a bit boring and unexciting.

Most of my videos these days are short, with relatively quick shooting. I generally don’t have the opportunity for coyotes coming to the bait from a distance or of getting footage of them away from the bait site. They just show up suddenly and I seal the deal before they might spook and leave. I think continuous music adds to the excitement in this case, but if I had more footage then I probably would do the movie with intermittent music. Hope this makes sense.

No music for me.

I always turn the volume down to where I can barely hear it, or shut it off completely.

If a video records sound, I only want to hear natural outdoor sounds.

I've yet to hear a hard rock band playing outside anywhere I hunt. That's my biggest bittch with outdoor shows, the dam music playing at 150DB's while the guy in the tree stand whispering is completely drowned out.

It depends on the video, and is it for marketing, enjoyment, professional usage, education, etc. Videos recorded by recreational coyote hunters vs what a call-manufacturer or what appears on the Outdoor Channel are produced for very different reasons.

Nighttime vs daytime videos play a role as well. There aren't a lot of people doing full production elements (with what some people call "b-roll") with NV and thermal for every stand, every kill, etc. When I make a daytime video, I have used things like drone footage, action-cam footage, and pre and post interviews, multiple camera angles of the kill, and a lot more. All of these things can be done at night as well, but they are just more challenging, and people rarely do it. Also, all these things take a lot of time. The hardest thing for me when hunting is good is to take the time to record all the "b-roll" that makes for a better overall video when all I want to do is get to the next stand.

I believe your question is more for nighttime hunting footage. Similar to what 6mm referenced, a lot depends on if the scope records audio. The more that audio is picked up by the recording device, where maybe they can hear other things happening, the more extra audio isn't as necessary to keep a person engaged with the video. A video that has absolutely no sound at all, with no gunshot, and no music is pretty boring for anyone watching especially for any length of time. Even if a person doesn't like the background music, it is something. So, I would highly recommend some type of sound be present on a video.

If a person or audience doesn't like audio, they can always mute it as some people have said they do.

I never listen to music on hunting videos, so it makes no difference to me if is recorded or not.

Last edited:
I saw DU's poll as it pertains to his, and others like him, filmed hunts, not full blown media productions.

It's called background music for a reason. It should enhance the video, not distract from it, which is what most ruins the vast majority of the production videos due to the excessive volume.

And regular TV shows are as bad, if not worse.......

Music if the recording has no audio.

No music if I can hear the call running, the shot and the impact thump.

I might start adding music to cover the swear words when I miss.

I like music that fits the action and a little commentary. Actual sounds like the caller and bullet thump are always good. No sound loses me after a few minutes.

When 7 coyotes are coming in at once I hardly notice anything else going on with the video.

Some music....

This is ALL just MY opinion...

.. not loud and overwhelming.

Intro with music....real hunt audio... end with music

I mute or turn WAYYY down over 75% of the vids I watch because I can't stand the music:
A)...how loud it is...especially if its layered over real hunt audio
B)...doesn't really add anything to the hunt if it's in the whole vid.

i dont mind a little bit of music, especially around the intro/outro of videos.

even a little bit of suspense building audio during the video.

but for the love of all things holy, be subtle & keep your personal music tastes overdubbing @ 137dB the h#ll off my computer/phone.

i dont need Flight of the Valkyries or Whiskey in the Jar screaming out of my speakers, turned up to explode, to enjoy a good hunting video. dont get me wrong, i like both of those tracks and im not picking on them specifically, but there's a time and place and all that.

i would much rather hear the sounds of nature - as long as your mic isnt all wind noise anyway - as well as the sounds of the shot going off and the hit happening .

spinal-tap-numbers-go-to11.gif

seriously - this is not spinal tap, stop treating your videos like it is! worry more about actual hunting content than cranking up your favorite background audio to make up for it
lol.gif
lol.gif

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond so far. More responses are still welcomed. Although I have always tried to keep the music subtle, I will endeavor to make the videos sans music or limited in appropriate places.

My attention span is slightly shorter than a skeeter's peter. If the video is longer than 60 seconds, or starts with an outfitters name plastered on the screen for the first 15, it had better be action packed or I'm skipping to the end, if I don't skip it entirely.
Music is nice if there's no actual hunt audio.

Originally Posted By: weekender"Intro with music....real hunt audio... end with music"

Sounds good to me, but I wont cry if there is none at all.

Yep same here!!

Originally Posted By: weekender"Intro with music....real hunt audio... end with music"

Sounds good to me, but I wont cry if there is none at all.

+ 2

Again, thanks to all who took time to respond. Your opinions are duly noted, and I will attempt to incorporate them as much as possible.

Back