Have to use forward assist

The stock is an adjustable carbine. I have disassembled my BCG and cleaned it thoroughly. I do not have an ultra sonic cleaner. There is still some carbon build up in it and I did not scrape it. That will be my next move. Thank you for that tip. From what iv'e gathered, it's some deep carbon fouling and/or a break in period. The whole rifle is going through a total deep clean and then I will cycle the action, dry, dry, dry manually a couple hundred times to break it in. I will report my next range results.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Update:
Multiple problems. I cleaned the holy crap out of everything and nothing seemed to work. I put in a new buffer spring, new buffer weight, replaced the gas rings and so on. I had the upper looked at by the local gun shop and they said the head space and everything looked fine. So, I was getting ready to just buy a whole new upper but decided to start with replacing the BCG first and bingo! It started to run! Then, there were a few times when the bolt wouldn't close all the way. It was mostly with the military ball ammo. So now I am reloading with a full length case sizer to see if this cures that problem. It could also be a magazine feeding issue but first things first. At least it's finally running. Thanks again for all the help and advise. Happy Hunting!

Originally Posted By: Powerfisher I will mic my ammo and make sure that it's within tolerance.

What tool are you using to do this?

Check the gas tube/ gas key alignment and any other dirt/crud in this area. I've seen a bent gas tube cause this issue. Clean the internals of the gas key well. Albeit rare, is the gas tube extended into the upper receiver too far?

Back