Trimming cases......

I have a Trim-It II case trimmer and a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System. At home I will mainly use the Frankford Arsenal Trimmer. I thought about selling the Trim-It II but I still use it once in a while if I'm sitting there watching a movie or something on TV and feel motivated to process a little brass. They both work great.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotdoes the wft chamfer in and out when it trims? or is that a seperate step after the trim?

No, the Little Crow WFT trimmers only trim the neck and you have to chamfer after.

The Giraud Tri-Way does all three at the same time.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotdoes the wft chamfer in and out when it trims? or is that a seperate step after the trim?

No, the Little Crow WFT trimmers only trim the neck and you have to chamfer after.

Quote:it takes longer to measure each case and trim some of them, than it does to just trim ALL of them in a WFT.

if we are splitting hairs, i can prime, drop powder and seat bullet in the time it takes to trim, then chamfer in and out. maybe.
smile.gif

either way, i dont really like the case prep bs and if there is part of it i dont need to do, i dont. [beeep], i dont even need my brass to look all pristine and shiny.

The Gracey set up also does all three operations at once. Using a Dillon 650 for sizing and the Gracey you can turn out a huge amount of brass on an afternoon.

For smaller batches I use a Forster lathe type with an adapter for a power screwdriver and the an RCBS deburring tool turned by a Mikita screw driver.

Greg

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGIt takes longer to measure each case and trim some of them, than it does to just trim ALL of them in a WFT.

I measure two or three out of fifty, once every four or five loadings, and don't trim any of them. Practically "ever". But there are rare exceptions - some of my .22BR brass actually did need to be trimmed after being loaded ~30 times. Vast majority develop loose primer pockets long, long before they would need trimming. For my rifles, brass and the way I load.

- DAA

30 firings? Ummm dude more powder. That is a pu$$y load

Originally Posted By: DANNY-LThis works great and fast. I trimmed 100 270wsm in 17 minutes the first time using.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1020728567?pid=258707

and just like the WFT setup... you still have to debur and chamfer afterward.

the lee trimmer will do the same # of cases in about 2/3 the time and you're already chamfer and deburred too.

not knocking the lyman setup, just that its a one trick pony, like most of the trimmers out there.

Lyman Universal with a carbide cutter for heavier cuts and cartridges that I do not have the Wilson collet for yet.

The Wilson trimmer for finish work.

I bevel the inside flash holes so I need an accurate case length to get consistent debuts there.

In mostly bolt gun shooting, cases are neck sized (Lee Collet die) and they grow rather slowly. It is a long time before I have to trim again!

Three 44s

Originally Posted By: Three 44s

In mostly bolt gun shooting, cases are neck sized (Lee Collet die) and they grow rather slowly. It is a long time before I have to trim again!

like was mentioned, new primers will fall in and out before the case needs trimmed.

that is throwing the books out and knowing how long the case can actually be before it needs trimmed. i guess if you dont know that, you probably should trim. lol

I can agree most chambers are long enough to let the cases grow above max. My bore cam tells me that by the carbon ring left in front of the case mouth.

I will ask this, and have always wondered but never spent the time/components to test. Does/can varying case lengths affect accuracy at all? Say they vary 10 thou from minimum to maximum book length. I would think it could, but haven't done anything to prove it one way or the other.

Originally Posted By: 204 AR Does/can varying case lengths affect accuracy at all? Say they vary 10 thou from minimum to maximum book length. I would think it could, but haven't done anything to prove it one way or the other.

not enough to get worked up over. not even a little.

as noted further up in the thread... if you crimp.. having a consistent case length is going to be critical to getting a consistent crimp on said loads. so while there's validity to the fact that many cases can probably do without it, there are specific cases where trimming really makes sense and is almost manditory.

such is the fun of reloading though - we can cater our process to suit our individual needs for each of our very unique firearms
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: 204 AR Does/can varying case lengths affect accuracy at all? Say they vary 10 thou from minimum to maximum book length. I would think it could, but haven't done anything to prove it one way or the other.

not enough to get worked up over. not even a little.

Same with annealing, nothing to get “worked up about”?

What’s a long, short or brittle neck between shots?

Three 44s

Back