ONE BAD .20cal!

Alright, I did some digging and you’re 200% right about the better case design. I didn’t realize how much better it was till I really read on it.

I’m kicking myself in the rear end hard for selling all my 6x47 stuff. I sold my brass, dies, all of it.

You’re really onto something here.

Originally Posted By: Austin Laughlin
If you had to do it over again DAA, would you still go the 20-250 route? Or is there any other route you’d take these days?

I would at least consider/investigate the X47 case, or even the Creedmoor case.

For myself though, having all the dies and components already, I'd probably end up doing the '250 again.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: Austin LaughlinCan I ask why? I can hold my own when it comes to reloading. But I’ve only been doing it about 3 years. I’m still learning about little stuff.
No point in starting at 6.5 when the Peterson brass is already at 6mm, and is the equal to Lapua in quality.

22x47 - 6x47 - 6.5x47

1YZPGNA.jpg

sO8tsAv.jpg

Even though I think the 47 Lapua is a better case design, already having a 20-250 that shoots the Berger 55's extremely well, if I had all to do over again I would probably have a hard time switching to a 20x47.

Since you plan on only shooting lighter bullets the 20-250 is already a lot overbore and going to an even larger case, more overbore, can sometimes be to much of a good thing. If you were wanting to sling the 55's then I'd probably be more compelled to go 20x47 Lapua.

It's a shame Nosler has never developed their 20 Nosler in to production because a 20 cal that had a little more case capacity than a 20BR but on a small bolt face and would feed slick would have been a really fun little cartridge to have, especially for slinging the 40 grainers. But Nosler isn't known for having the greatest brass so we probably would have been left with disappointment anyway.

So! Since there are quit a few of us on here with 20-250's and nobody seems to have a 20x47 I vote Austin Laughlin has a 20x47 built. If for no other reason, just because. There, now it's settled and if for any reason it doesn't work out you can blame me.
smile.gif

I know you love those lighter bullets but FWIW, a 20x47 using RL26 out of a 26in tube should hit 3800 with the Berger 55's and if you look at the BC of those 55's they are like a long range ballistic missile. They're about the sleekest sexiest looking bullet you've ever seen. The dam things look like they are going mach 5 just sitting there. Oh, and you'll want at least a 9tw barrel.

Last edited:
To many reports from guys I know that have a love hate relationship with Peterson brass. Never heard anyone complain about Lapua brass and 6.5x47 always seems to be available so for me I'll take the extra necking down to stick with Lapua.

Alright, I’m convinced. I just called my smith and told him I’d be doing a 20x47 instead. I was so set on the 250 that it’s hard to get away from it, but I’ve been doing some serious reading since you mentioned it. And I’m in. All in.

Same barrel twist before I order one? 1:10? I’d like to shoot the 40s for sure, but if I can get a barrel that’ll shoot the 45-55 range, that’d be pretty slick in my mind, considering my 204 is built to shoot lighter. Makes sense to be anyway?

With 40's it would put you around 320,000 bullet rpm and depending on the bullet could put you into the danger zone.

Back