Have another G2, 243 on the way

So I just brought it home and am cleaning it up. It's seen some use lol, a lot of use. The recievers are in good shape, a few nicks on the mag well. I took the float tube off and that went well.

My first reaction when I noticed the gas tube had some heat discoloration was "oh boy". The throat is not good, lots of alligator hide, I'm guessing at least 1k rounds. Or just ran really hot in a dog town or at the range.

I knew that was a possibility with a 243 going in, and wasn't concerned since I have more barrels. Still a bit of a bummer, so I wanted to update quickly in case someone was on the fence. The current one is at $855 and I'm not sure I'd do that unless you're sitting on some barrels or want to re-use the barrel extension and have one made up. Of course who knows what any others look like.

It came in a hard case, no mags. And the barrel is 20" just like my others. I don't think I'll bother getting this one threaded, I may use the extension for something else, like 22 creed drool...

I got it all back together, lapped the upper first and everything went well. Drilled and tapped the gb for a set screw to make it adjustable, cleaned up the bcg. The 2 stage trigger broke at 1.25 first stage, 4.75 total so it was normal but heavier than I like so I'll tune that shortly. I loaded up 8 rounds with 58 vmax and 44 gr varget in Win cases to test fire, all functioned perfectly, good primer dimple, lock back on pmag and good accuracy at 200 on my steel. 3 in maybe 1.5 to 2" in the 20 mph cross wind.

That's some impressive work 204! If there's better coyote medicine than a 243 G2 loaded with 58s, I don't know what it is.

Thanks guys, I look forward to working with it some more and tuning that load. I should be able to get the 58s above 3600 I hope, even with the kind of short barrel.

Funny timing, I was just looking at bca a few minutes ago. It looks like they abandoned the 243 in favor of 6.5 creedmoor. Imagine that.

I remember you getting those, sounds like they do well for you. I just like this smaller platform but it sure has been abandoned. It's a shame.

I've been chatting with a local smith. He'd need a new barrel extension tool to be able to spin me up a barrel for it. Of course it's different than either traditional size BE. And good luck finding one of those lol.

Yikes. I wonder what the 2nd one brought. I also wonder if they were test guns? How did they come up with so many identical used rifles?

I was curious what the 58s would do. I had some data from 2 years ago with them and varget so I started there. I worked up to 44.8, Win brass, cci 200 primers, seated 2.61" which was just random as you can't touch the lands. Very small data set, but 44.8 wasn't much higher than 44, so I dropped to 44.2 and am happy with this:

s8GfsNOl.jpg

Keep in mind the incessant wind, 15 mph probably, from 1 oclock, 200 yd groups. They actually look smaller in person lol, but under 2" for sure. The taped ones are the 44.8. I had another group lower on the target before I got it dialed up that looked the same using 44.5, so I think this dog will hunt.

BY7Zhm6l.jpg

BCA discontinued the 243 chambering shortly after the Covid toilet paper panic. I believe they were just selling out what they had afterwards. I have around $550 originally invested in each upper and M5 complete lowers. I’m sure you probably couldn’t find one for what it cost for both together now.

Last edited:
I forgot to watch the last one sell, but with a day left it was only 715. Now they have another r25 gii 308 up.

I wish I bought 2 when I got my G2. It is so close in weight to my .223 ar's that I really don't notice it. Found a good 55g bt load that works really well. I think if enough people knew about the small frame G2's they would not have gone away.

Back