coyote hearing?

duckdog91

have always heard a yote can hear a mouse squeak at 100 yards. a buddy and me just recently startes taking yote calling a little more serious. i bought a foxpro oatriot which seems to get pretty loud. he went and dumped 500 on a real nice foxpro that gets super loud. we have been discussing that my patriot may not get loud enough on a windy kansas day. what are your thoughts on it? thanks.

On windy days, I shorten the between stands distance, sometimes down to 3-400yds if I think it is warranted, even here on the wide open plains of Eastern Colorado.

My single best day of calling was on a very windy afternoon. I did 9 stands and called in at least one coyote on each stand, and the stands were much closer together than normal.

The Patriot should be plenty loud, even on a windy day.

Good luck!

K22 gave good advice.. Your stand is what you make it! Sometimes windy days are best left alone. Personally prefer a hand call! but I have 2 E calls as well. To me calling means tweaking there curiosity without setting of there amazing alarm system.
If you can do that then you will call many coyotes without alot of volume or sound..

I was coyote hunting in a old tree stand by a wetland. Had a coyote come in from my left, it was cold cold and as I slowly turned my head my beard rubbed on the material of my jacket. That coyote stopped and immediately looked up and spotted me, from that little sound. So they must hear pretty darn well!

Originally Posted By: duckdog91much appreciated! what town you from in eastern colorado? i use to live in boone.

I'm in Castle Rock.

Back to their hearing abilities, I made a stand at the head of a valley, and started my 20-30 seconds of calling. Within a few seconds of starting, I see a coyote come around the corner, maybe 1,500yds out.

I never made another sound, because she was already coming my way. I watched her trot along the hillside, drop into the valley, and then she comes up my hill and stops about 30yds away, staring at my position. I, of course, shot her.

So, from that far away, with only the 20-30 seconds of sounds from me, she knew exactly where I was.

Not only can they hear really well, they can triangulate our calling position precisely.

I've lip squeaked them in from over a hundred yards, and once used a hand call to bring one in from around 1400 yards. Still, calm days, of course.

I had a very nice wind proof insulated hunting coat. The outside of the coat was made of a vinyl that was wind and rain proof. I had several coyotes hear me raise my arms up with the gun. My hunting partner knew immediately what had happened as we were sitting side by side and he could hear the vinyl making what sounded like a fabric tearing noise as I moved.

Those coyotes were between 150-200 yards out. We were night hunting in Mexico at the time.

Originally Posted By: duckdog91have always heard a yote can hear a mouse squeak at 100 yards. a buddy and me just recently startes taking yote calling a little more serious. i bought a foxpro oatriot which seems to get pretty loud. he went and dumped 500 on a real nice foxpro that gets super loud. we have been discussing that my patriot may not get loud enough on a windy kansas day. what are your thoughts on it? thanks.

They hear best from sounds coming from their up-wind. To a lesser degree to their down-wind. Even more less on their crosswind. Add in hilly terrain & or ground cover. All sounds are reduced even moreso.

When I called in the hills. I aimed the horn of my hand call. Towards the top of the hill. That separated myself from a coyote over that hill. Or rather where I believed a coyote may be.

Last edited:
Back