Originally Posted By: Rock Knocker
My opinion Vmax are garbage, I've never ruined so much fur or seen so much splash damage and runner's, they wont handle bones.

If I wanted to survive getting shot with a 223, vmax would be my bullet of choice. Soft weak varmint bullets can perform neat tricks with perfect shots but overall they're soft and weak, they're a handicap that normal hunting conditions..... like bones, will be defeated. And if you're shooting 30 yards or 500 they are going to have completely different terminal performance.

A 53 gr V-Max is my bullet of choice, but then again, I only use them to shoot prairie dogs out west. That bullet would not be my 1st choice when hunting Coyotes though. I did have 1 opportunity to take a coyote with one of my .223's shooting that bullet. We were out P. Dog hunting and stopped shooting for lunch. About 20 minutes goes by and my friend starts pointing a mentioning a coyote he see's out in the field chowing down on a few dead dogs. I jumped on my rifle and anchored him with a shot to the skull-diddley!

Select a bullet/caliber combination depending on what your hunting. When I go out hunting coyotes here in Minnesota I grab my 6.5 Grendel with a 120 gr Nosler Spitzer BT or a Sierra's. If I'm shooting one of my .223 it will be a slightly heavier bullet.