Opinions Please?

LUCKYDOG

I’m thinking of a new 7mm REM Mag. I was thinking about a custom but that doesn’t make much sense because I only shoot factory ammo. So I started thinking about a Fierce or a Christensen Arms. Then I was presented an opportunity to purchase a used Montana Rifle company 7mm for a good price with a great scope. Have any of you guys ever owned a Montana Rifle Company rifle before? Thoughts? I’ve only heard good things about them myself but just seeing if any of you guys had firsthand experience with them. Thank you for any input!

Last edited:
Can't help you on the MRC gun but if you have a Cabela's or Bass Pro near you I'd go take a look at a Sako S20. Cabela's/Bass Pro has a $400 rebate going on them now and Sako has a promo deal that'll allow you to get either the tactical style or thumbhole extra stock for free.

The Sako S20 can be had in 7mm Rem mag and they come with a lot of features that could be had, minus the 400 bucks, for around 1100 and you still can put in for the extra free stock. These S20's for a factory gun shoot extremely well and the Hunter model (that's the one with the thumbhole stock) I handled actually felt very good in the hands.

Something to think about.

Last edited:
I have a Bass Pro and a Cabelas near me and I’m off work for a while. I’ll probably go look tomorrow. Thank you.

So, I'm buying the Montana. He is giving me too good of a deal. I should get it this week. After I get it, I'll post pics and details.

My father in law has a Montana rifle company gun. His is a 338win mag. His is very accurate with factory hornady ammo from what he tells me. I have never seen the gun shot but he says it’s like 1/2” or so. They aren’t in business but I would think for most things a good gunsmith would be able to fix the gun for you.

Originally Posted By: zr600My father in law has a Montana rifle company gun. His is a 338win mag. His is very accurate with factory hornady ammo from what he tells me. I have never seen the gun shot but he says it’s like 1/2” or so. They aren’t in business but I would think for most things a good gunsmith would be able to fix the gun for you.

I agree. That's why I decided to buy it. It's amazing how accurate that Hornady ammo seems to be in my rifles.

I would go for the used MRC 7mm mag. ***If you really want to proceed with caution, have a smith inspect the throat, barrel, and crown and prior to purchase.

TC

They got NRA rifle of the year in 16 and 18 were in business 25 years but the investors closed down production to restructure in 2019 because of sales. If you do a web search there is plenty about them.

Originally Posted By: viperThey got NRA rifle of the year in 16 and 18 were in business 25 years but the investors closed down production to restructure in 2019 because of sales. If you do a web search there is plenty about them.

Thank you. That's good info!

Here's hoping yours turns out better than my 3" 7WSM @ 100yds grouper!
A guy on 24hour Campfire had the same MRC as mine and had the same
luck (or I should say NO luck).

I had one in 264wm. I couldn't get it to shoot any better than a model 70 from the 80's or 90's. About 1.5" is the best I could get. I sent it down the road.

Back