Super hogster lost all parameters, changed reticles, went back to 0.00 instead of zero coordinates, also changed from inches to metric in zero submenu

jmeddy

All of this happened with b/p disconnected and internals removed. I had checked zero on Sunday and went hunting Wednesday nite. When i got set up on the first stand i found this. Also has trouble getting it to power up, it would go through the sequence the indicate dead battery and shut down. Stayed on after the 3rd try without the
Reticle in the screen which made me find all the other issues.
The date and time did stay correct.

Anybody experienced this too?
Scope is only 2wks old.

Thanks in advance and l will be contacting Bering tomorrow

Many Bering employees are at Shot Show, so know this could impact how quickly they respond. Night Goggles has sold a ton and no I haven't been notified by customers of this. I also monitor the Facebook group called Bering Optics Users Group. I have probably seen this comment once or twice in 3+ years. I have not seen this personally after testing virtually every Bering product. I don't say this to doubt what you are saying. For any thermal, always write down the vertical and horizontal adjustments, so hopefully you did. If you bought it from Night Goggles, PM me and we can discuss via phone. If not, you may want to consider contacting the dealer you purchased it from.

The scope tests for battery voltage and amount of battery left when it first starts up. If you see the screen flash red quickly and turn off, it is sensing either the batteries don't have enough power, or a cell is bad. I know there are some PM members who use magnetic connections, but there are so many people on the Bering Optics Users Group who found, like I did, they are far more prone to cause issues. If you are using a magnetic connection, I would stop.

As for losing the reticle, there is a mode on the Hogsters, Super Hogsters, and Yoters where the reticle can be turned off. It is a feature. On the SH and SY, the typical process is to hold down the outside buttons while short pressing the middle button 4 times. On a Hogster 25 and 35, it usually is to push all 3 buttons down at the same time. Try these two if you don't have the reticle back.

As for switching from inches to metric, when you are in the zero window, press all 3 buttons. By what you are describing, it almost seems like somehow your scope got reset. The scope would show many of the same systems if a person accidently went into the 2nd page and selected the icon that looks like a reverse arrow/circle. However, a scope reset typically doesn't change the zero back to 0,0.

If this keeps happening to you, I do recommend contacting Bering. One other comment is many people hibernate their scope without realizing vs powering them down and the batteries are dead in their scope. Make sure you are holding down the front button until the checkmark and X appear and select the checkmark, to power down the scope. I know you said this all happened with the batteries out and the battery pack disconnected but just mentioning as I have seen this many, many times.

Reading all of you posts and thoroughly digesting the manual (as much as a 71 y man can digest) l did get all back to where it was and hunted till 2am—-didnot see any dogs.
I keep a pic of the zero setting and a lot of your posted instructions in my phone and the manuals are in my vehicle.
Reminders that you post pertaining to operating these things do not offend me in the least and are appreciated. I use the 25 to scan and just sold my 35 when I upgraded.
I bought this from a dealer here and THANKS AGAIN. Mike

That exact thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, I think I posted about it here but it's kind of annoying. Mine was the day after a hunt then downloading and deleting some videos. So I'm not sure how it got triggered but I did get it all set back up and the zero was right on after putting in my numbers.

I will add that I also scan with a 25, and am finding it a little under powered for the wide open imo. It's pretty hard to spot them way out there but it's probably more important to have a wide fov for the ones that get up close. What would you think of the 35 for scanning? I'm not sure of the fov comparison without looking it up.

25 works great here. I have seen them at 600ish and knew i was seeing a canine (more by their movements than profile) which in my terrain is ridge top to ridge top. That being said l sold my 35 and kept the wider fov as a scanner even though the 35 had a greater id range.
I thought l had read the same happening here recently and looked at your post and the SY post but couldn’t find it and that is why l posted this.
Please keep us posted on the post as l am having poi vs poa as well as “tracking” on scope adjustments as well. Had the same tracking along with poi shifts with the 35 that i had. Sent it to bering last April and it got a lot better but l still checked every few hunts and had to readjust it occasionally.

Kirsch, thanks for the shotshow info. I will wait to contact bering.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI will add that I also scan with a 25, and am finding it a little under powered for the wide open imo. It's pretty hard to spot them way out there but it's probably more important to have a wide fov for the ones that get up close. What would you think of the 35 for scanning? I'm not sure of the fov comparison without looking it up.

I use a 35 for scanning no problem.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI'm not sure of the fov comparison without looking it up. Hogster 35 = 10.7°
Hogster 25 = 14.9°
Phenom 640 = 13°
Super Hogster = 7.5°
Super Yoter = 8.5°

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpNot sure if this would even be applicable, but is it possible you hit the factory reset in the menu options? I thought the same thing. It would account for most of the symptoms but not all. The part that really is odd is that it happened with no power connected. The scope can't do anything when there is no power source.

My best guess is a power spike either from the connection to the battery pack or from the internal batteries (such as them being put in the wrong direction). In 204's case, maybe when connecting it to the USB of the computer. This is totally a guess, and I am not trying to make this into user-error but just trying to come up with a possibility. What battery pack are you using and are you using a magnetic connection? I have seen the spark or shock of a magnetic connection cause strange issues.

I thought the same except perhaps when he was getting ready to turn it off, he inadvertently did a factory reset in the menu before shutting the unit down. It isn't that hard to select the wrong icon or as I did once already, "I wonder what this one does." My bad!

6700 anker battery and not a magnetic.
Wrong button is not out of the question but that should not take my coordinates to 0.00 accdg to kory.
Anyhow it is still ok and i just shot paper with no adjustments needed since l put coordinates back in Wednesday nite WHICH makes me feel good.
Gone out tonight and maybe test on fur.
Thx again

Well called a pair in last nite and the sh now has blood DRT. Gonna have to relearn distance estimates though. Shot 36 and missed a few last year with the r35 and figured this dog was well inside a hundred, l just kept walking and counting paces—closer to 160!

... if it can be useful ... I calculated the linear horizontal FOV at a distance of 100 yards:
Hogster 35 = 18.7 y
Hogster 25 = 26.1 y
Phenom 640 = 21.9 y
Super Hogster = 13.2 y
Super Yoter = 15.4 y

Jmeddy, did you ever resolve this issue? I’m having the same problem. Using a 10,000 mag fully charged battery with USB-C connection (not magnetic). I’m having the same issue, it will hold all my settings for a while but the randomly it will power up with no reticle displayed , and all setting are different (auto nuc off, PIP off, etc).

Thanks

It worked ok for about a month then it didn’t. Also had a second ghost image in the view so l aent it back to bering and asked themt to replace it which they did. The second one was fine until late November when l got back from an archery hunt in Illinois (l did take my coyote stuff with me and hunted 1 night there). I went out one night and found the same issue, reset everything and ir was fine but l lost confidence in it and bought a Thermion.

Dang… I don’t blame you. After missing a few dogs and finding out the zero coordinates had been wiped when the mysterious “reset” happened, I lost confidence very quickly also. May end up sending to Bering to have them look. Spend a lot of money on an optic, fuel, time, etc to go calling then miss due to random resetting during startup of the scope.

Back